1960's and risqué clothes?

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Nakita Akita, Jan 28, 2020.

1. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I think FL means that Chekov was the only one whose Search for Spock wardrobe didn't carry through into The Voyage Home because it wasn't considered to look good enough. Although the crew spent three months on Vulcan, so you'd think they all would've had changes of clothes available.

2. FormerLurker

FormerLurker Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This is the general idea. Walter Koenig said at a convention that his wearing pink in San Francisco could be misinterpreted, so they changed his costume... to leather:vulcan:. I didn't care much either way, myself. I got the idea in-universe that whatever they wore on Vulcan, they needed to bring the clothes they wore to Vulcan back with them, and it was easiest to just wear them home (except Chekov, of course).

3. ZapBrannigan

ZapBrannigan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Actors often have a lot of say over their own costumes, makeup, and hair styling. Even supporting guest cast on a TV series are generally given some choices in the wardrobe department.

As a first-tier supporting actor in a film, and someone they weren't about to get rid of, Walter could have asserted himself and said "This doesn't look good to me." Instead, he obviously took a passive approach, whether through timidity or laziness. That is why he ended up in the foppish, "Buster Brown" collar in Star Trek III. That and Leonard Nimoy either not caring what Chekov looked like, or having taste as bad as the costume designer (meaning pretty bad; even Shatner's civilian suit looks terrible, and none of the civvies in the film look cool at all).

From what I read, when Koenig's ridiculously high collar showed up in the dailies, a studio executive ordered them to get rid of it. So it disappears from the rest of his scenes.

4. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.
    Sulu's civilian outfit looked okay.

5. ZapBrannigan

ZapBrannigan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I agree, now that you mention it. And I'm very sure George spared no effort in Wardrobe, getting his way and making sure his character would look cool. He had a healthy vanity going as an actor, and at least once used the term "Sulu-esque" (!) to mean dashing and heroic. I think he was talking about using his leather jacket as a sweeping cape in ST III. That's what he was focused on, the cosmetic, and he got cosmetic results. And that's better than nothing; he wasn't wrong to try to look good.

6. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.
    Sulu's uninhibited self, according to "The Naked Time", is the dashing, heroic D'Artagnan - who wears a cape. Why shouldn't he dress to please himself off-duty? I thought the costume was stylish.

I know some people in the SCA who enjoy wearing capes and tunics in their mundane (non-SCA) lives. Mind you, those are constructed to be useful, not merely ornamental.

7. Commishsleer

Commishsleer Commodore Commodore

Look I'm not saying Koenig's outfit was good but they tried something. It didn't work out.
    Look at other 80s movies. The clothes are pretty bad.
    Look at TMP. Do you think the actors wanted those tight-fitting outfits?. But maybe they wanted to show off their assets.

8. Forbin

Forbin Fleet Admiral Admiral

My actor friends all love a good cape to swirl and flourish. :D

9. FormerLurker

FormerLurker Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

What's funny about this is that all those civilian clothes were off the rack at LA department stores. They may have put some of them together in strange combinations, but they were all 1980s designs.

I just wonder how many different colored copies of that suit McCoy had in his closet. We saw at least two in TWOK and SFS.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2020
    Phaser Two and ZapBrannigan like this.
  10. Tenacity

Tenacity Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Both TSFS and TVH could only have been improved if George Takei were stripped to the waist and oiled up.

And you all know it.

Forbin likes this.
  11. Commishsleer

Commishsleer Commodore Commodore

I hate it when women are objectified so not to be sexist I have to say No.;););)

Come to think of it there was very little objectifying of either men or women in the original series Movies apart from the Illya robot and the fan dance.

12. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm not an actor but I'd love a cape for these very reasons!

13. Poltargyst

Poltargyst Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

If someone shows up in a movie scantily clad, does that automatically mean they're being objectified?

14. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

And the scantily-clad men and women in TMP's San Francisco. And the triple-breasted cat dancer in ST V.

15. Christopher

It depends on the context and approach. Are they scantily clad by their own choice, for their own purposes? Is it in a situation where being scantily clad makes sense and is socially appropriate (e.g. on the beach or in the bedroom), or one where it makes no sense in context and is just being done to titillate the audience (e.g. while fighting crime or battling monsters)? Does the camera ogle their anatomy or approach the scene matter-of-factly? Is the scantily clad person the one with greater/equal power or lesser power in the scene?

And it does depend on gender, since systemic sexism means that it's not symmetrical. Women are culturally victimized and stigmatized for their sexuality in ways that men are not, so if a male character and a female character have their bodies shown off equally, there's still often a power imbalance in the male character's favor due to the broader cultural context.

16. mb22

mb22 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Never noticed anything special about the extras in the TMP scene. It was after all a G rated movie.

17. Phaser Two

Phaser Two Commodore Premium Member

There were scantily clad San Francisco denizens in TMP? Huh? (I'm learning a lot in this thread - I think!)

18. Christopher

19. Phaser Two

Phaser Two Commodore Premium Member

Er - okay? Those women are wearing skirts about the length of those shown in every episode of Star Trek.

I'm highly confused. Perhaps that reference was meant as a joke.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2020
  20. Christopher

But made of more diaphanous material in some cases. Look at the woman on the far left in the second image I posted -- I think I can see a nipple, though I might be imagining it.

I think Therin is just paying more attention to a subtle background detail than most viewers would while watching the scene. It's there, but it's not called attention to. Which means I don't think Therin is correct to call it objectifying. It's too casual for that.