World Premiere/Advance screening discussions [SPOILERS GUARANTEED]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by M'Sharak, Apr 5, 2009.

1. Augustus

Augustus Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yeah, I am not sure why everyone is concerned about the survival of the race... I am sure there are a ton of vulcans on Earth alone...

2. Pavonis

Pavonis Commodore Commodore

Changing topics - what's the Kelvin mission patch/ship logo look like? It's not the Enterprise arrowhead, is it?

3. EliyahuQeoni

EliyahuQeoni Commodore Commodore

Redmond, Oregon, United States of America
    This happened most recently with the BSG finale. Much of the negative reactions I saw were not due to the quality of the show, but that the writers didn't use the fans' assumptions to write the script. There was even one BSG blogger who complained because the SFX dept didn't use actual star maps as backdrops, because they should have known fans would be examining the star patterns to discern where the fleet was... oy

Ahh Trekkie superiority complex. Glad to know some things never change...

4. Neopeius

Neopeius Admiral Admiral

Ahh the Trekkie defensiveness complex. Glad to know.. yada yada. :)

5. Kaych

Kaych Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I'm in Canada. We learned about more interesting stuff like Canada gaining it's independence in 1867 :lol:.

I'm not saying I necessarily support the new backstory behind the name. But what I am saying is that I can definitly understand why the producers decided to change it. Outside the U.S. it may not be as popular a term.

6. JBElliott

JBElliott Commander Red Shirt

That's not necessarily true. Sure the route that has been taken is one way to do things, but TWOK was still "classic TOS" and it did well at the box office and ciritcally. A Star Trek movie could be made that fit into TOS that would do well at the box office and critically. It's possible. It just didn't happen and never will.

7. JBElliott

Really? Then you've moved out? Who would have believed that would ever happen. :rommie:

8. Neopeius

Neopeius Admiral Admiral

I'd argue that TWOK did well *because* it wasn't in the classic TOS mold. It was big, flashy, sci-fantasy with lots of explosions. Many of the deviations from the TOS style ultimately found their way into TNG where they made it, IMHO, an inferior product.

9. JBElliott

They're KINO, SINO and MINIO. :rommie:

10. JBElliott

Re: To those who have seen the film...Could they have gotten Shatner i

Of course they could have. Any writer could have.

11. JBElliott

34 pages an no detailed spoiler filled recap of the movie? Come on people, we need a review of the movie with all the details!

12. SeamusShameless

SeamusShameless Captain Captain

That's possible. I didn't realize you were Canadian, sorry. I've read in several places that in Germany Bones is called Pill because there's no German translation for the nickname.

13. The Academic

The Academic Commander Red Shirt

Leonard McCoy is indeed called 'Pille' (English 'Pill') in 'Raumschiff Enterprise', the German version of TOS. The translators could have called him 'Knochen' (English 'Bones') just as well, but, for no apparent reasons whatsoever, they didn't. Now, having seen the new Star Trek XI clip, I would really like to know how they try to worm themselves out of this decades-old mistranslation/misinterpretation...
    Well, I'll find out soon enough...

14. SiddFinch1

SiddFinch1 Captain Captain

Any chance of someone posting some actual spoilers again?

Such as - Is Cadet Kirk merely an older undergradute held back from graduation due to the kobiashi maru or did he graduate the 4 year program, serve a few years on the Republic or Farrugut and now goes back for the "5th" command year when the events of the movie unfold.....

15. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

What does a low-budget film released in 1982 have to do with "competing commercially in today's entertainment industry"? That was 27 years ago and yeah, everything has changed.

You make a movie like TWOK today, and you can go one of two ways with it: straight to DVD or suffer the fate of "Serenity."

Unless, maybe, you cast Seth Rogen as Khan.

Certainly low-balling Trek and producing direct-to-DVD stuff, ala Stargate, is a direction that the studio could reasonably have chosen and they might have made some money with a DS9 DVD movie or an Enterprise DVD movie or a "TNG" DVD movie starring Jonathan Frakes and Michael Dorn (with special appearance by Walter Koenig). Evidently someone there believes that Trek is still more valuable than that.

16. darkwing_duck1

darkwing_duck1 Vice Admiral

Oh horse-frakking-hockey, Dennis. WoK was not "a low budget movie". Paramount switched production over to people from the TV division to make the most effective use of an ECONOMICAL budget. The resulting film looked as good as any other feature of it's type from that day, and arguably better than some umpteen-million dollar CG-fests out there.

Then there's the fact that WoK was NEVER an "effects film" to begin with. It was, and IS, a very character-driven film with good FX thrown in on top.

17. Iano

Iano Lieutenant Red Shirt

Sorry guys, I've been swamped the last few days. I've answered all my priv msgs regarding spoilers, I'll try and catch up with everyone. :)

18. Iano

I don't believe they are at the point of graduation yet, and the events in the movie immediately follow the Kobayashi Maru incident, so there's no time lapse.

Edit: Those events are in their 3rd year at the academy btw... well... at least Kirk's 3rd year, maybe 4th for everyone else.

19. Iano

She lives. They don't show her after the birth scene, but you know she's alive because of the phone call he gets from his stepdad during hte car scene.

No indication of his life after that scene and between the bar scene.

20. Iano

No.