World Premiere/Advance screening discussions [SPOILERS GUARANTEED]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by M'Sharak, Apr 5, 2009.

1. Neftoon

Neftoon Lieutenant Red Shirt

You don't see uncle frank, during the young kirk scene, other then the cop, the only adult is a voice over the phone (car phone/panel). The scene worked much better then i thought it would when i first saw the trailer, and it doesn't last too long getting pinekirk quite quickly, who gives a performance that believably could become shatnerkirk. I watched a couple of TOS episodes before and after and they have the same feel. I also got the impression that admiral pike pulled some strings to get kirk command of the enterprise, due to him saving so many people.

2. Tom Servo

Tom Servo Commodore Commodore

Iano...we owe so much to you!:lol:

A few more if you don't mind?

I know there is a major battle with the Kelvin and the Naranda. At some point in the film, does the Enterprise go at it with the Naranda?

Also, do we see the rest of the fleet that is destroyed at Vulcan, before they are destroyed. Since I think that it was learned that the rest of the fleet goes on ahead of the Enterprise, to answer the Vulcans distress call.

3. Neftoon

Yes you get to see the enterprise go up against the narada, and you get also briefly get to see the other ships before they warp to vulcan, and at least parts of them at vulcan :)

4. Iano

Iano Lieutenant Red Shirt

Yep! Although the Enterprise is not the only ship involved in the final battle. ;-)

5. Tom Servo

If you mean the Jellyfish being involved, nice, but if you are saying that there are other starfleet ships involved...AWESOME! :techman:

As a VFX student, I can't wait to see what ILM had done with this film....

6. Iano

Well... not starfleet, but close, you'll see!

Edit: Whoops, missed the Jellyfish part, yeah its the Jellyfish, sorry to get your hopes up.

7. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

ADMIRAL Pike? :confused:

8. Iano

OH YEAH! I forgot all about that... suprise!!! :D

9. Tom Servo

Nah, its fine. I was surprised actually when you first said the other ships...

We have already seen the phaser effects in the trailers. Is there a new photon torpedo effect in the film?

10. Iano

Don't recall on the torpedos, I do remember something I thought a little strange
    when they eject the core, it was in multiple pieces??? it wasn't like on TNG/VOY where it was this long cylinder

11. Mr. Laser Beam

I do like the sound of that...Admiral Christopher Pike. :techman:

But does this mean there's a flash-forward at the end of the film where Kirk makes Captain (for real, this time) and is given permanent command of the Enterprise? The spoilers I'd just read here, said that Kirk only got the ship while Pike recovered from his injuries.

12. Iano

I didn't get the impression that the last scene was a flash forward. Especially since in the last scene on the bridge Spock requests to fill the position of first officer.

13. Tom Servo

Huh, interesting? So the Enterprise ejects her core sometime during the film? Cool....

Well really, who is to say that there isnt multiple smaller reactors on this version of the Enterprise. Its cool to know there will be a ejection scene...

14. Iano

Yeah, all these little canisters shoot out the rear and I'm just waiting to see the core, apparently... it was the core. :)

15. Mr. Laser Beam

Okay, now you lost me. :confused:

What I had earlier read, in this thread, suggested this:

- At the end of the film, Kirk is still a Cadet by actual rank.
    - He is given TEMPORARY command of the Enterprise by Starfleet, for only however long it takes for Pike to recover from his injuries.
    - At which point it would be understood that Pike would once again become Captain of the Enterprise, and Kirk would presumably have to return to the Academy to continue his studies.

Are you telling me, then, that it is not the case? Didn't you just say that Kirk's captaincy of the ship at film's end is only supposed to be temporary? It was in this post. Quote:

Did I misinterpret you? :confused:

I really hope that those old rumors aren't true. Meaning, that Kirk would go straight from Cadet to permanent Captain. Doesn't this sound as silly to you as it does to me?

16. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

And? He should go back to the Academy anyway?

I realize it and I'm way past caring. It's a goddamned Star Trek movie, for chrissakes.

17. Neftoon

It's not a massive flash forward maybe a couple of weeks i would guess, as i said before pike probably pulled some strings to get kirk the command as he sees something in kirk that shows he can be a great captain, so my impression was that kirk had the command, pike just used the temporary command to get him in the chair.

18. Iano

I mean, they state right in the scene where he's getting his medal that he would be a relief captain for Pike, and the flash forward scene can't be much after the medal scene, so I think the audience is supposed to believe that it is a temporary assignment. If you tie it back to TOS, and if this Enterprise is brand new, that means there must be more Pike adventures where he is in command.

19. Mr. Laser Beam

Lovely. :( Straight out of the academy, Kirk gets the permanent - permanent - captaincy of the Enterprise in only a couple of WEEKS? And I'm the only one who has a problem with that? :brickwall:

DS9 viewers threw a fit when Red Squad got their own Defiant-class ship ("Valiant"), but this one gets a free pass? Just because it's Kirk? :rolleyes:

On the other hand...

So which one of you is right? :lol:

20. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm sorry - who? When? On what?

"Captain Kirk." That's the character's real name, isn't it? ;)