World Premiere/Advance screening discussions [SPOILERS GUARANTEED]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by M'Sharak, Apr 5, 2009.

1. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

One of these days you'll actually express some enthusiasm for something that you consider exceptionally good, and I'll have a baseline against which to evaluate your...evaluations. :cool:

The fact that you don't like this explanation for the nickname is just that - a dislike. It has nothing to do with the intelligence or other quality of the piece.

2. Admiral Buzzkill

TNG had a huge audience of casual fans - it was quite a popular show with entire families, which was one of the things Paramount valued about it marketing-wise. It wasn't trek fans that really abandoned DS9, it was the big audience - and the expressed attitudes of the fandom didn't have much impact on that.

And there's no reason that they should. Got nothing to do with "mediocrity" and everything to do with the fact that the world, and of course language, changes every day. That alone - the world always changing - accounts for 90% of fannish complaints about this movie. Pretty pathetic.

3. SeamusShameless

SeamusShameless Captain Captain

I'm 22 and I've heard the term "sawbones". Did you study the Civil War in history class?

4. FarDreaming

FarDreaming Lieutenant Red Shirt

Lazerlike42-- Thanks! :techman:

5. Admiral Buzzkill

I'm in my fifties and have heard the phrase "23 skidoo." So?

Working that into Kirk's conversation in this movie would make as much sense as "sawbones."

6. SeamusShameless

SeamusShameless Captain Captain

What does "23 skidoo" have to do with Kirk's background, though?

7. FarDreaming

FarDreaming Lieutenant Red Shirt

So what you are saying is that it's okay with you if the characters just pick themselves up, dust themselves off and go forward in the next movie as if nothing has changed from the Prime line ? That the destruction of Vulcan and the death of Amanda can be nothing but one-time gimmicks, shock-value stunts for this first movie, that have no further relevance for the characters and no repercussions in any future ones?

Maybe that works for you, but I sure do expect more from the writers to make the "Abramsverse" a viable and believable one to me!

8. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

Look, it's something to argue about. OK? :lol:

For what it's worth (and that's little), an archaic word can be one that hangs around for a long time beyond people really knowing where it came from simply because of its specialized meaning.

It would be sad to find out the writers came up with the story only because they assumed too many in the audience (or Kirk) wouldn't know what "sawbones" really meant. I mean, as a nickname for a surgeon, it's the cat's meow. ;)

I think it's a silly reason for the nickname, not funny. But it's not boycott the movie silly. ;)

9. Admiral Buzzkill

Exactly. What else really matters, where Trek is concerned? ;)

A silly nickname? What next? :eek::eek::wtf:

See, thing about obsessive fans is that they like the Trek universe neat and tidy and logical and easily understood - this is certainly the single most defining characteristic of fascination with the "Trek Universe." It also helps if the writers pander to the conceit that fans are unusally bright or socially conscious. This presumably helps to compensate for the fact that reality isn't any of those things, and neither are they.

10. Captain59

Captain59 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Connecticut - Home of the Hartford Whalers
    For anyone who has read Countdown and also saw the movie, is there anything in Countdown that is also in the movie, or does the movie pick up completely after the comic?

Thanks!

11. Admiral Buzzkill

I understand that "Worst Person In The World" is referenced, and in the third act Olbermman delivers one of his Special Comments about the Vulcan government.

12. EJA

EJA Fleet Captain

So what happens to Kirk's mom?

Any indication of what happens to Kirk between the time we see him drive the car over the cliff as a kid, and when we see him in the bar where he meets Uhura and Pike?

Do we see Spock's pet sehlat in the movie?

13. Captain59

Captain59 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Connecticut - Home of the Hartford Whalers
    Oh...who is it that appears to be getting ready to have sex...is that Kirk and Uhura? Do they do the deed?

14. EJA

EJA Fleet Captain

I think that's Kirk and an Orion cadet.

15. Neopeius

Neopeius Admiral Admiral

Firefly.

Jeremy Brett's Sherlock Holmes.

Macross

My wife.

Go to town.

16. Admiral Buzzkill

The same thing "sawbones" does. :cool:

17. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

That would be cheese.

18. Admiral Buzzkill

There may have been 10,000 successful evacuations from Vulcan during the crisis, but you have to figure that there are already millions or billions living off-world.

19. Pavonis

Pavonis Commodore Commodore

^ yeah, they're called Romulans. :)

20. Admiral Buzzkill

Yep.

The universe is already lousy with Vulcans by the era of Star Trek: Enterprise. I'm sure they're still out there.