Where is your confidence level now with ST:Dis?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by queerTrekker, Dec 15, 2016.

1. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

:lol:

2. Flake

Flake Commodore Commodore

Good laugh........or? :p

I better read the whole thread then :)

3. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

The show will be the show CBS wants it to be. The old guard will have no say so if CBS, the ones footing the bill, want something in the show or something taken out.

TV101. :techman:

4. Captain of the USS Averof

Captain of the USS Averof Commodore Commodore

5. Flake

I think that the CBS execs will push for sex, violence, 'splosions, "Star Trek Wars" - but what I was getting at is that if the old guard are still able to infuse enough of the original 'essence' of Trek into the show then it might actually be ok and then gradually we fans collectively can steer them in the right direction after the initial advertising push, which will no doubt be full of aforementioned 'splosions, sex and violence in amongst the trailers and tv spots :)

6. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

"The old guard" are what have dismayed me about the show. I want to see something new.

Ridcully and BillJ like this.
  7. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

I'm curious and inclined to give the show the benefit of the doubt until I actually see it.

May will be here soon enough. No need to form an opinion now.

8. Kevin Wolff

Kevin Wolff Captain Captain

Neither the "old guard" nor the "CBS execs" bodes well for the series. The latter is more obvious, especially when you factor in such a high budget. Interference is going to be huge. As for the former, I don't see guys like Meyer and Monosky spending 14 hours straight in a writers' room living on Doritos and soda to make sure a story is properly fleshed out.

Having said that, I just want Star Trek back. Though I'm admittedly still reeling over the loss of Fuller.

I guess I'm delusionally optimistic.

9. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Exactly! You hit it right on the head. My impression of fandom is very low, especially on social media. They remind me of squealing mice running in every direction without thinking.. Kind of like the 25% of the voters who voted in the incoming pea brain as US president.

My greatest source of confidence now is that the hindrance to production: namely Bryan Fuller is now gone. Notice how quickly casting announcements occurred around the time of his departure.

fireproof78 and jamestyler like this.
  10. Kevin Wolff

Stating that the main creative force through most of pre-production (the most important stage since it sets both the tone and scope of the overall production) was a hinderance, and thinking the brand will somehow be just as good regardless of who's behind it creatively, and being more concerned with the show being rushed to market than made with care seems exactly like fandom.

11. Flake

Perhaps the clash of the old guard and the new can create something that satisfies everyone, from those who only desire fan service to those who desire something new. :)

12. daedalus5

daedalus5 Rear Admiral Moderator

Netflix for me (UK based), as I subscribe anyway. There better not be any delay/lag in the US and UK release dates!!! This will hopefully limit piracy and ensure the companies paying for the rights get their money back and will fund future seasons.

I wish it would just hurry up and air already! :)
    .......... and bring out some new model ships, and games, and props and interest...............

13. Kevin Wolff

As a fan since the late 70's, I really hope that will be the case. I don't want TV Trek to fail and would be even more thrilled with the emergence of some talented new writers and producers. I also don't believe that the old guard is necessarily incapable. Naren Shankar is "old guard Trek" and he's doing some cutting edge TV sci-fi with the Expanse.

Qapla'! :klingon:

14. starshipfalcon

starshipfalcon Ensign Newbie

Hello all,

I'm a Trek fan however, I don't think I have confidence in this new Trek show. With all the talk of a R rating and other things, I think the people in charge don't know what Trek is about. Furthermore, we already had a prequel with Enterprise. Star Trek is about moving forward. How about a series that takes place after the Dominion War. Are we friends with the Romulans? What happens if they found out they were tricked into the opposing side?

15. Jedman67

Jedman67 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

GODDAMMMIT PEOPLE CAN'T YOU WAIT FOR THE SHOW TO ACTUALLY GO ON TV BEFORE FUCKING DISSING IT!!!!!!!!!

#rant :D

They want to get a new audience. They need to start from the roots. If they start a new show based on what came before they"ll lose their target audience (not trekkies)

16. Paradise City

Paradise City Commodore Commodore

If people don't like the early signals before the show begins, let's hear it. Say what's on your heart. And vice versa of course, if you think the early signals, are good signals.

Don't bottle it up.

Kevin Wolff and Jedman67 like this.
  17. starshipfalcon

starshipfalcon Ensign Newbie

Hello,
    I suppose we could wait however, where's the fun in that, LOL. Seriously, sometimes hearing about troubles could be an indication of how the show is going to turn out.

18. Jedman67

Jedman67 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I honestly haven't put much time into it. Sure Fuller's departure was unexpected, but not uncommon in the television world. It's already shooting, and the first eps should be finishing post in another month or so.
    And frankly, all we have to go on for either good or bad are some news stories - CBS is keeping the whole project fairly quiet.
    So all this is just speculation.

19. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Clearly his divided time was a huge hindrance and caused the show to be delayed.

Rushed?? I think not. It'll be 18 months since it was announced. Don't make me laugh. Such a ludicrous thing to suggest.

I like Fuller, I think his input was valuable, however, his departure is better for the show based on the evidence we currently have.

RAMA

20. Kevin Wolff

His time was divided but he was the best talent they could find for the show. Delaying the show, even for another year or more, would not be such a bad thing in order to make it better. We lived without TV Trek for more than a decade.

So you have experience in reinventing and launching a big budget scifi show and have a strong understanding about how long it takes to reinvent an iconic show like Star Trek? Even more ludicrous and laughable. After reading the 50-year mission regarding the struggle to build a world, create new characters, develop scripts and stay ahead of production, it explains in detail why all the Trek shows had such weak early seasons. Developing the show should take as long as it takes. Once the foundation is laid, sticking to a production schedule is feasible. But far less so in the initial creative stage.

Better for the show that the biggest talent they could get is forced to walk away from a project he was passionate about because the studio couldn't wait longer? Again, the 50-year mission repeatedly talks about how no top creative talent wants anything to do with Star Trek. It's why they've had so many unknowns take over. It's why Simon Pegg got to write Beyond, and Data co-wrote Nemesis. And what evidence are you referring to? Casting? We've seen nothing of the production side yet since the teaser.

I find it puzzling that some fans think it's valid to side with corporation, and not with the talent that actually creates the properties of which they are fans.

We'll have to agree to disagree on these points. Peace, brother.