Where is your confidence level now with ST:Dis?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by queerTrekker, Dec 15, 2016.

1. queerTrekker

queerTrekker Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

With the lead now cast, a few regulars and some Klingons, how is your confidence level for ST: Dis? Do you feel more excited, the same, or worried about the show?

2. Tenacity

Tenacity Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Excitement is building, looking forward to seeing it..

But still not ready to get CBS all access, that decision will wait until after I see the pilot.

saddestmoon likes this.
  3. queerTrekker

queerTrekker Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I can see that.

4. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

My deep misgivings for the CBS All Access business model and the loss of Bryan Fuller aside, I'm largely hopeful for the show. But it's still too early to tell because we don't have a full cast, a proper premise or a trailer.

5. donners22

donners22 Commodore Commodore

I'm just glad that progress is being made.

I'll watch the first season on Netflix, but would have regardless of the news to date. I'll decide whether to continue watching based on the quality of that first season and the potential it establishes.

6. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

My expectations are pretty high. Hopefully this is going to be an interesting new direction for Trek on TV, and that's way overdue.

Much as I like what I've seen of Fuller's post-Trek work, I was never encouraged by the number of writers from Trek's past that were associated with the show.

queerTrekker likes this.
  7. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Same as it ever was. I'm just excited that Trek is coming back to TV. Now it's up to them to make it good. :)

Armus, KennyB and Vger23 like this.
  8. Romulan Loyalist

Romulan Loyalist Lieutenant Red Shirt

Unfortunately I purchased CBS All Access earlier this year when a release was expected this year... Then they pushed it out to next year - and here I have been paying the $5.99 the entire time... Waiting for it.

I have no comment about casting - and won't until I see them on Star Trek in character. Judging cast before the part is played is not something that I would see as possible.

All I can say at this point is - Wait and See - these stars have big steps to follow in... and if they fail? Another one bites the dust - and back to TOS, TNG, VOY, DS9 and ENT.

queerTrekker likes this.
  9. Gepard

Gepard Vice Admiral Admiral

I have no expectations. If the show turns out to be amazing, that's great, but right now I don't much care if Trek ever returns to TV at all. Somehow all the prerelease info has yet to get me hyped.

Tesophius and Armus like this.
  10. Balok's Decoy

Balok's Decoy Commodore Commodore

My excitement is very high, but I'm trying not to have too many expectations, or at least no specific expectations. Expectation is the heart of suffering, and so on. I want to keep an open mind. I'm very happy with the casting choices.

Armus likes this.
  11. TheSubCommander

TheSubCommander Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Recent casting announcements are good news. I like the idea of Klingons being featured. As for CBS all access, $6/month is nothing, so I have no problem paying it.

But I also can't get past the fact I have no confidence in CBS as a company handling the Star Trek property well. It irritates me they did virtually nothing of significance to celebrate the 50th. I hate the fact that CBS still refuses to give DS9 or Voyager a bluray treatment (or at the very least a sharper looking DVD).I can't get past the loss of Fuller. I can't get past the fact CBS has delayed filming. While I liked the design of the Discovery ship, I still see why fans dislike it, and I have to admit it is more a TMP era styling, than TOS.

I feel like CBS actually doesn't know what to do with or how to handle the Star Trek franchise. It is as if it were up to them, they would be happy enough to just sit on the Star Trek property, and just repackage and reissue old pressings of DVDs and Blurays. I could list a hundred other things why I can't stand CBS and why I have no confidence in CBS to handle Discovery correctly. It may (and I hope it does) start off with a strong start. But, as I see it, I feel it is only a matter of time before CBS execs start micromanaging and poking their noses in and interfering with Discovery, for the worse.

So, from my point of view, CBS has a long way to go before I am convinced they are serious about doing right by the Star Trek franchise, and its fans.

konitzlee and Serveaux like this.
  12. Tomalak

Tomalak Vice Admiral Admiral

Pretty much, alarm bells were ringing with the delays and Fuller's departure.

Glad we've got a casting announcement and presumably shooting will begin in the new year. Are they still aiming for a May premiere?

13. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Overall, I'm excited, but somewhat wary. I loved what Fuller was saying about what makes for good Trek, so his departure was alarming-- but the people who are running the show are people he hired, so there's probably nothing to worry about.

All of the casting news so far has been good, although all the Klingons dampen my enthusiasm a bit. The ship looks a bit weird, but we haven't seen the final design yet. What little we've heard about themes and the plotline have all sounded good. And, of course, it's set in the original continuity, which was a major relief.

So I'm excited. There hasn't been a Trek TV show that I haven't liked and I hope Discovery won't be the first.

14. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'll wait until the first set pics or trailer to form an opinion.

15. DaddlerTheDalek

DaddlerTheDalek Captain Captain

Same here.

16. Shalashaska

Shalashaska Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Cautiously optimistic.

Fuller's departure was pretty damn disappointing, I don't have the same level of confidence in these showrunners as I did with him, but my expectations are still pretty high. I still like what I'm hearing and I still like the people who are writing the show, I'm liking the casting announcements, I can't say there's anything really that's putting me off watching it, especially since I'll be able to watch it all on Netflix. Can't say no to that.

17. Captain of the USS Averof

Captain of the USS Averof Commodore Commodore

Restrained excitement! :hugegrin:

18. JoeCabby

JoeCabby Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Same as it ever was. Excited!

Fuller leaving is probably more of a plus for me than anything. I think my favourite episode of his was Workforce. When I heard the news I tried watching Hannibal, but got bored after a few episodes. And he made Spirit Folk. His work just doesn't inspire confidence in me.

19. mos6507

mos6507 Commodore Commodore

The reason the hype machine isn't working is:

a) What little production design we've seen sucks (like the ship design)
    b) They've revealed almost nothing about the plot-line

So there's really nothing there to grab hold of.

I think whoever is in charge of promoting this thing should stop keeping this stuff so close to the vest. I mean, even SW:TFA had official on-set videos and things. It doesn't have to be so guarded.

20. ELURIA

ELURIA Captain Captain

Fuller leaving STD was the biggest blow for me. I was very much looking forward to his show in January, now I'm cautiously optimistic for whatever comes out in May.

The eventual trailer and publicity photos of the cast in their uniforms will go a long way in further confidence