What was "The Burn" and what caused it?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by F. King Daniel, Sep 8, 2020.

1. valkyrie013

valkyrie013 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The burn is probably recent, like past 20 years or so at a guess. still see broken ships in the trailer. So a 100 since Danels time would still be okay. But if they have time travel as an option.. why didn't they use it and stop the burn??

2. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

Maybe it's part of their Temporal Prime Directive to not seek out information about their future. The same as they won't tell anyone from the past about the future.

If it were me: I'd have just written everything after the 24th Century off as just a possible future instead of the future future, just to make things easier. But it seems that's not the direction they're going to go.

EDIT: I just thought of this. We have no idea how the Temporal Cold War ended. Maybe after its conclusion, the Federation looked at the mess of everything it caused and decided to ban time travel. They think it's the right idea, but then The Burn happens shortly afterwards.

So doing what they think is right ends up blowing up in their face. "The road to Hell is paved with good intentions."

Last edited: Sep 10, 2020
  3. KepperC

KepperC Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I reckon it was a galactic “reset” led by the cult followers of Dr Burnham.

Ar-Pharazon likes this.
  4. valkyrie013

valkyrie013 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

A Burnham cult set in the unknown regions on the planet teralesium .. Building numerous weapons and ships, preparing for the final order!

Tim Thomason likes this.
  5. SJGardner

SJGardner Commodore Commodore

Not necessarily. Space is a vacuum, they should stay there until some scavengers find it, especially if they are in deep space. There could be millions of wrecks out there, they couldn't have cannibalized everything already by the time Discovery arrived.

6. KepperC

KepperC Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I don’t remember where I read it, but the Federation outpost that Michael visits in the first trailer is apparently a pre-recorded hologram. I reckon it was created by Dr Burnham right before The Burn, and we are told exactly what happened and why then.

7. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

No. The Federation existed in Daniels's timeline, he mentions it quite frequently. Granted there has been speculation over the years that the Federation might have fallen or been supplanted by something else in Daniels's time given he always talked about the Federation in the past tense, but it definitely existed and came about in his timeline.

I suspect your confusing things with Shockwave Part 2, where in the alternate future created as a result of pulling Archer out of the 22nd century in which Earth becomes a post-apocalyptic wasteland, Daniels surmised the Federation must not have existed in that timeline, based on the absence of a monument to the Federation that was supposed to exist outside his apartment building.

8. antinoos

antinoos Commander Red Shirt

Why don't they use time travel to solve all their problems in the other ~800 episodes?

9. Phily B

Phily B Commodore Commodore

I don't remember much of Enterprise tbh, but it doesn't seem like anything is gonna be contradicted. The Federation still exists, I just think it might have regressed a little, like a grander version of what happened in Babylon 5 to Earth.

Bollie74 and Mr. Laser Beam like this.
  10. UssGlenn

UssGlenn Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Unless they specifically said Spore drive uses traditional Subspace in Discovery so far; it is such an exotic form of propulsion there is no reason to think it uses Subspace.

Mr. Laser Beam likes this.
  11. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

You see:
    back at te start of the 25th century, a Star Fleet Admiral (Jean-Luc Picard) dies; but had his consciousness transferred into an artificial body...a few years later, because of a rabit-pizza and some sheer fucking hubris on his part... ;)

12. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Because they knew what Discovery and crew would eventually do to fix things.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2020
  13. Charles Phipps

Charles Phipps Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I wouldn't be surprised if space travel is now extremely hazardous and the big thing the Discovery can do now is that as a spore drive machine, it doesn't get subject to the problems of space travel.

14. Tenacity

Tenacity Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

from the mid 2260's on, all STD's were known as "the kirk malnuver."
    in the star trek time line, bernie sanders won the 2016 presidential elect, and was re-elected in 2020. but was impeached stemming from the sanctuary district scandal in 2024.

sanders blamed the whole affair on "fake news."

15. dupersuper

dupersuper Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

They don't know how to stop it? The burn broke all their timeships?

16. NCC-73515

NCC-73515 Vice Admiral Admiral

I think they said the mycelial plane is a part of subspace, but maybe it's a part that's not affected by Omega

17. eschaton

eschaton Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

IIRC it has already been said that Discovery is one of the only working ships, which would suggest that "The Burn" is indeed a failure of warp travel, and possibly subspace communication as well.

Preusmably it couldn't have happened that long ago - otherwise how would there be so many full-blooded aliens everywhere? Within a few centuries one would presume everyone would just blend together into new races.

18. Deks

Deks Vice Admiral Admiral

If 'the burn' is indeed failure of Warp travel... well, it would make more sense the Federation is WAY beyond Warp travel by the 32nd century... or Warp became really fast (outclassing Transwarp and even Slipstream V2 in speed and efficiency).
    But then you have transwarp beaming, and a plethora of other options that could be used to zip around the universe even (none of which would need to include spore drive)... however, all of these ARE subspace based technologies.

The spore-drive does not appear to rely on subspace... however, given how subspace is deeply intertwined into Trek technology, you'd think it would have an 'effect' on the spore drive as well.

Meh.. we'll see.
    Its possible 'The burn' might refer to subspace being 'burned' in some manner... perhaps similar to what happens with a detonation of an unstable Omega molecule... but Omega DESTROYS subspace (which means it could have either been a coordinated attack to effectively neutralize the Federation, or it may have been part of an unfortunate experiment [although this makes little sense because we've seen that Voyager managed to develop technology to stabilize Omega and use it safely... so even if an explosion of Omega occurred, if it was stabilized, it wouldn't have caused much or any damage - and I'm sure those files would have been declassified at some point]).

At any rate... subspace itself would need to have been affected - but given that Trek sensors are subspace based too, and in the trailer we see Burnham using the red angel suit to scan for survivors (and finding them), its a bit of an iffy subject... unless it was targeted at Starfleet/Federation ships

19. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

Given what we saw in the short trek "Calypso" - if this is that same time period, there's no issue with Warp travel.

20. Deks

Deks Vice Admiral Admiral

Calypso apparently takes place in the 33rd century (Season 3 of Disco happens in late 32nd).
    It does not appear to be the same time period.
    And Discovery stated it waited in that nebula for about 1000 years.
    This could imply more time travel at some point. Perhaps Georgiou going back to participate in Section 31 (upcoming TV series), and leaving Discovery in a nebula for the crew (and having it to continue in advancing itself using the Sphere data - as we've seen, the data already merged with Discovery to prevent itself from being destroyed or deleted).
    They may not have had a choice though because I don't understand