What religion/faith are you?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by PhaserLightShow, Apr 29, 2016.

?

What Religion are you part of?

1. Atheist

62 vote(s)
    44.6%
  2. Christian

44 vote(s)
    31.7%
  3. Jewish

2 vote(s)
    1.4%
  4. Muslim

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Mormon

2 vote(s)
    1.4%
  6. Other

14 vote(s)
    10.1%
  7. Agnostic

14 vote(s)
    10.1%
  8. Hindu

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Buddhist

1 vote(s)
    0.7%
  1. rhubarbodendron

rhubarbodendron Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

this is a bit off-topic but do we by any chance have any people of the Jewish persuasion posting here? I have two questions about Jewish funeral rites:
    1) we have a tiny jewish cemetry here and some people piled stones on top of the tombstones. I am familiar with that custom only from stupas in the Himalayans. Do Jews do that as well or is it something un-Jewish and the stones ought to be removed from the tombstones? While on the one hand the cemetry managers are glad some people apparently mind, on the other hand they are uncertain if that particular practice mightn't be a desecration.
    2) Also, would flowers on the graves ok? Most pics I googled show only lawn, but I have found 2 where there are graves like Christian ones, only with ivy and other evergreens. Is it just a coincidence or are flowers frowned upon?

2. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Greedo is Good, Till the Next Edit Moderator

3 Feet Away from Han, but Still Missed by a Foot
    It's not a desecration, it's an ancient tradition.

https://www.chabad.org/library/arti...ish/Why-Do-Jews-Put-Pebbles-on-Tombstones.htm
    It's not a Jewish tradition, but if someone meant well it's not like anyone's going to hold it against them.

https://www.chabad.org/library/article_cdo/aid/1218970/jewish/Flowers-Jews-Gravesites.htm

Amaris and think like this.
  3. rhubarbodendron

thank you! :) Interesting that two cultures who live several thousand miles apart have developed similar customs - the stone piling, I mean. On the other hand, a tombstone is a sort of stone pile, too, just in one piece. Maybe piling up stones on graves is in human nature.
    Which leads us directly back to this thread's topic: do your respective religions have similar customs? Are there any things that are strictly forbidden? For example: on Bavarian katholic cemetries, veggies on graves are forbidden but herbs are ok. I know one that's full of lemon thyme, sage, rosemary and savory. My mom and I are rarely of the same opinion but when we saw that grave we both said in unison: "that's what I want, too!" :D

4. Doom Shepherd

Doom Shepherd Commodore Commodore

Show them Schindler’s List?

auntiehill likes this.
  5. rhubarbodendron

^I'd rather not rely on that one. With movies, particularly hollywood blockbusters, you can never be sure how well-researched they are and whether the information given in them is really precise.
    I thought of asking a rabbi but as the next one lives some 80 miles away, I believe, and presumably is rather busy the BBS was the faster and simpler way to gather well-substantiated information.
    And as the above posts show it worked :)

6. ThankQ

ThankQ Admiral Admiral

I'm an atheist, among other reasons, not because of the lack of evidence of something else, but because of the preponderance of evidence of invention across all religions.

Wereghost and auntiehill like this.