What properties or shows are you surprised nobody has rebooted?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JoeZhang, Jan 22, 2021.

1. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

As????

2. Jayson1

Jayson1 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The main character. It makes sense to me they create a new character from scratch.
    Jason

3. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

But he’ll be 45 in May (albeit he looks at least a decade younger) and he’s irish, not Scottish. Closer to Scottish than the Gallic M. Lambert, but still.

4. Jayson1

Jayson1 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Can't the hero be older? I would always pick talent over those other considerations.

Jason

J.D. likes this.
  5. Captaindemotion

He can but the idea is he’s immortal...

6. douwed

douwed Lieutenant Red Shirt

Immortal doesn't automatically mean 20/30-ish though

7. Captaindemotion

Yeah, I know, but assuming they follow the same basic structure as the original, it just would seem an odd thing to start of the film with the hero played by an actor of that age, IMHO.

I actually really like Colin Farrell, but he just doesn’t strike me as suited to that sort of role. Besides which, having already done the gloriously bonkers idea of a Frenchman playing the title role while the world’s most famous Scotsman plays an Egyptian with a Spanish name, I think they should cast a Scottish actor in the title role this time.

8. wayoung

wayoung Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm not a big fan of Farrell, but I'd take him over Reynolds.

For awhile I remember Gerard Butler being attached to the role, but I can't remember if that was pre or post Reynolds.

IMO they'd be best picking some unknown and surrounding him with bigger names like the OG Highlander did.

Captaindemotion likes this.
  9. douwed

I agree that a Scotsman would be better. An unknown would also be more willing to sign a multi picture deal. I doubt Colin would want to do that, he comes across as someone who likes choosing which part he'll play

Captaindemotion likes this.
  10. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Good question from the OP.

Space Above and Beyond: Can't say I'm surprised, but I just really wish to see it get the attention it deserved.
    SeaQuest: Didn't look at it much when it was on, but with Peacock reviving BSG, I don't see why they wouldn't give this series another go, and plus, with all the talk about climate change, it might be even more relevant today.
    AirWolf: Another I didn't look at, but the concept seems like a no-brainer.
    A Man Called Hawk: Not surprised again, however I think a new series could be very timely.
    MANTIS: Ditto for MANTIS. It would be nice to see Carl Lumbly involved too.
    Get Christy Love: I heard there were plans to reboot, but nothing came of them as far as I know.
    X-Files: Not surprised with the revival not being that long gone, and there's a lot of love for the original, but why not reboot it to fit today's paranoia?
    Dark Skies: For similar reasons as an X-Files reboot.
    Silverhawks: With ThunderCats and He-Man/She-Ra getting reboots, it's time for SilverHawks.
    TekWar: Another not surprised, but I thought the premise was solid and perhaps with enough of a budget, and Shatner being involved, it maybe do better this time.
    Silk Stalkings: Guilty pleasures never get old.
    Renegade: Didn't look at it, but it has such a simple premise it seems tailor made to be rebooted.
    Xena: With Wonder Woman and fantasy doing well, it could be a good time to reboot this series.
    The Crow: I don't know if the sequels were considered reboots, but this is a concept, like the Highlander, that begs to be rebooted. There's so many places they could go, things they could do. A streaming Crow series, with today's special effects, could be a very gripping horror/action series.
    Blackstar: I had read once that the original plan was to make Blackstar a black character but they changed that. So, why not reboot it and keep the original intention?
    Deepwater Black: A really neat concept, lackluster execution. This could be a good YA series perhaps for a streaming service. Or maybe even the next "The 100".
    Space 1999: Only seen the pilot, but I like the premise. If I had my druthers I would keep it retro.
    Blade Runner: Maybe not so much a reboot per se, but an adaptation of the Blade Runner 2019 comics. I think that has the makings for a nice streaming series.
    Manimal: The title says it all.
    Werewolf
    Friday the 13th: The Series
    Cosmic Slop
    Jake 2.0
    The Sentinel
    Static Shock
    The Mighty Orbots
    MASK
    Six Million Dollar Man:
    I've heard about the Mark Wahlberg remake but until I see more about it to know its really happening, I'm putting it on my list.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2021
  11. DarKush

Geez, those Knight Rider and Bionic Woman revivals both underwhelmed. I don't know why they didn't cast Katee Sackhoff as the lead in Bionic Woman. The series came alive whenever she was on screen. I can't recall if I ever looked at a whole episode of that Knight Rider revival.

I never finished season 2 of V. I had high hopes for it when the series started. A good cast, proper budget, but their take on the Visitors was off from the very beginning, when they made their appearance ominous, and even their ships snakelike. I loved the original when they came feigning friendship with those blocky, white starships. Who would suspect that those guys had nefarious plans?

I would really like to see a Buck Rogers reboot. Back in the day I was thinking that Bruce Willis would've made a good Rogers if they did a film.

12. wayoung

George Clooney is exec producing & starring as the new Buck Rogers

DarKush and Captaindemotion like this.
  13. Captaindemotion

14. wayoung

:bolian:

I actually liked the short lived Bionic Woman reboot. Was disappointed it ended so quickly. But I never watched the original.

For awhile Netflix (in Canada at least) bought the rights to a shit ton of quickly cancelled shows from the late 90's/early 2000's and added them to their platform. It was really cool, getting to finish off the episodes of series' that the network's never aired in full. The Bionic Woman reboot was in that bunch.

Jake 2.0 already got remade, as Chuck :p. I remember when the producers were accused of ripping off Jake 2.0 and they said "It's not a rip off Chuck didn't gain super fighting abilities!" and then the next season he gained super fighting abilities.

Hawk came back a couple months ago as Netflix started thier new Spensor franchise starring Marky Mark.

Xena's been attempted a few times but never got off the ground.

DarKush likes this.
  15. DarKush

That's right. thanks for reminding me. Forgot about the Spencer revival too. I haven't seen that, but isn't it more of an action buddy comedy take on Hawk?

16. ToddKent

ToddKent Captain Captain

Now is the time for a Homeboys in Outer Space reboot.

Also, these never seem to work but I'd love to see someone do a western/scifi mix like a reboot of Brisco County or that UPN one with Q and MacGyver. Maybe it's time to dust off Wild, Wild West again?

17. douwed

I just have to say one word 'Fringe' that definitely started out as a remake of the x files

18. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

I think I watched most of the reboot, but yeah, I was underwhelmed. I like the direction of it being a direct continuation, but I disliked their choice of car for KITT (needed to be sleeker IMHO), and the entire thing just felt like an advertisement for Ford with every vehicle on the road being a Ford. The problem with the use of the Mustang is that it was just too mundane and common a car to be a believeable super exotic. If they ever do another reboot, I'd vote going with a Dodge Viper (new model). Or better yet, just reboot the failed Bandit show and do a proper Smokey and the Bandit type of show.

19. valkyrie013

valkyrie013 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Debris might satiate that x files fringe need.

I liked the bionic woman reboot, the lead was as Ruby Rod says.. HOT HOT HOT!

Get the guy who played General Hugs in star wars. He's Scottish for Highlander.

20. wayoung

Frasier reboot is being talked about again. It's already came up a few times. Supposedly this time it has some traction. We'll see.

On another note I remember disliking the latter seasons, and bowing out of it (although I was in Uni when it ended) but when I rewatched the entire series a few years back I didn't really notice any big dip in quality from start to finish.