What kind of Trek cartoon do you want?

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by Jayson1, Jun 21, 2018.

1. Gary8

Gary8 Ensign Newbie

Would love to see a new series in TAS style.

2. Right on Q

Right on Q Ensign Red Shirt

I'd love one that full of aliens in particular non humanoid aliens, which deals with the frustrations and cooperative efforts made by both the human/humanoid starfleet crew and the sentient but very much different lifeforms, in terms of their very divergent anatomies, biology, evolutionary pasts, and cultural development, to try to understand each other so they can work towards some common goal.

Also crews wading around in planets with vastly different amounts of gravity, and possibly fighting or actions scenes that take place outside of the ship, done in EV suits. Basically all the crazy stuff that usually can't be done in copious amounts in a live action series due to budge restrictions.

Shamrock Holmes likes this.
  3. Tim Thomason

Tim Thomason Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

And I will watch every single one of them.

"Thank you, sir, may I have another!"

Roundabout likes this.
  4. tharpdevenport

tharpdevenport Admiral Admiral

I'd be okay with a highly realistic CGI series with very realistic CGI renderings of the characters (with them providing the voices) for limited specials (such pain staking work would mean less output, but I'm okay with that -- time to write better scripts and check continuity).

RedAlert likes this.
  5. Mysterion

Mysterion Vice Admiral Admiral

First for all the people that clamor for an "Anthology" series every time the subject of a new Trek show comes up: animation would be the only way to do that, realistically speaking.

Second, I would prefer to see something done along the lines of what they did for SW with The Clone Wars and Rebels. Bth series were entertaining, built on the established continuity of their setting, and visually fun to look at.

6. Jayson1

Jayson1 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Not really. You can always do the "American Horror Story" way of doing a new storyline each season. Plus some shows tend to take a whole year off like "Westworld" so it is possible to give a show enough time to do things, properly.

Jason

7. Vger23

Vger23 Vice Admiral Admiral

I've said it before and I'll say it again: I am so thankful that the fans do not control the franchise.

8. Mysterion

Mysterion Vice Admiral Admiral

^^^
    Sorry, when I think "anthology", I think shows like Outer Limits or Twilight Zone.

9. The Overlord

The Overlord Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Here is a question what characters and voice actors would you want to see in a Star Trek show and lets focus on the premise that is show gets a new pre lay audio track, rather then trying to lay the TAS voice track on new animation (which I still think is a truly awful idea)?

Also how much should this show be made to appeal to kids (I would assume CBS is making this to appeal to kids)?

10. XCV330

XCV330 Premium Member

I'd actually like to see Star Trek: Lions of the Night finally done

Tenacity likes this.
  11. Overgeeked

Overgeeked Captain Captain

From other similar threads...

#

This may be heretical, but...

Whatever my perfect new Trek series might be, it would definitely involve far less technobabble and far more elbow grease. One of the images that's always stuck with me is from DS9 where Chief O'Brien can't seem to get a panel in OPs to work so he hauls back and stomps on it. I think it's from the Pilot. The stories were more personal and the characters solved their problems mostly through action, rather than tech-speak. Similar to many TOS and ENT episodes. The tech was a part of the story, of course, but the tech should facilitate good, character-centric stories rather than the tech being both problem and solution. I'm just not interested in another series with long stretches of made up words invented simply to solve made up problems caused by long strings of other made up words. That kind of thing just rings hollow to me, which is probably why I prefer DS9 so strongly to the other series. Actions have consequences. Characters develop relationships. No character is perfect. Reoccurring characters. Action, emotion, and drama over technobabble and weekly resets. Serial fiction rather than episodic.

#

1. Star Trek: Titan, the Animated Series. Could use the original cast or sound-alikes for Riker and Troi. Could easily handle the diverse cast of characters without breaking a poor actor's heart with endless butt-in-makeup-chair. Could easily avoid the worry about cheap and cheesy CGI. Could be made for 1/5 the budget of a TNG episode. Could easily handle the one thing Trek on TV or film has never been able to really pull off, namely the sheer possibilities of the universe.

2. Star Trek: Early Years, the Animated Series. Noticing a trend? All the same money saving perks as above. Only this series would feature the crew of another Federation ship in the early days of the Federation. Those awkward times when the militaries are still integrating, when ships and systems and command structures are wildly diverse but expected to conform to one unified ethos. Heavy focus on the Humans, Vulcans, Andorians, and Tellarites getting used to working together long-term in confined spaces. Could definitely draw on the cast of ENT for voice actors and characters. Seeing Shran as the security chief or the captain of a Fed ship would be amazing.

3. Star Trek: Future Something, the Animated Series. Again with the money saving animation. Put this one 100 years into the future of TNG, just as TNG was set 100 years into the future of TOS. New species, new planets, new threats... you get the idea.

4. Star Trek: The Lost Era, the Animated Series. All the same cost savings and connecting up the loose ends and/or exploring new planets, species, and cultures.

My ideal new Trek series? These. Right there.

12. Laura Cynthia Chambers

Laura Cynthia Chambers Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Then you might be interested in this scene from "Progress":

XCV330 likes this.
  13. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I wonder if they'll revisit the unmade 2007 animated series Final Frontier?

14. Herbert

Herbert Commodore Commodore

If those drawings are any indication of what the animation would look like, :crazy: no thank you

Blamo likes this.
  15. mos6507

mos6507 Commodore Commodore

Just without so much damn fake camera shake.

Blamo likes this.
  16. Jedi Marso

Jedi Marso Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

People are always talking about a show centered around cadets at SF Academy- I think this would be fertile ground for an animated show aimed at younger viewers. A show about a diverse group of young adults in school, engaged in STEM-centric educations, grounded in ethics, excited about technology, space, and exploration- could be just what the doctor ordered.

17. Tenacity

Tenacity Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yes yes yes ...

More intellectual discovery and intelligence, less pew-pew and whatever the hell Burnham was babbling about.

18. Danlav05

Danlav05 Commodore Commodore

deleted

19. mdtauk

mdtauk Captain Captain

I'd rather not have a cartoon at all. I can't imagine a western cartoon which would treat the stories as serious as the best of Anime does. So if it is possible to do a serious story with a really alien crew, then treat it like an Anime.

I think if they really want to have one, managed in the US... It should be like The Orville. A sitcom on a ramshackle ship, with Starfleet's least professional crew. Helping supervise civilian missions, and minor disputes. Get some good comedy writers, mostly alien crew (to take advantage of the medium, and show some diversity), and have it be their random encounters and adventures.

Focus on the characters, and the slapstick action.

20. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Just saw Final Space on Netflix a few days ago. A goofball Trek which gets you to care about the characters and then, could be awesome.