What kind of Trek cartoon do you want?

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by Jayson1, Jun 21, 2018.

1. Jayson1

Jayson1 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Between "TOS" and the Kelvin Universe and the upcoming Tarantino movie, I think I want a break from that setting. I would prefer something new at least for now. Eventually of course it would be nice to go back.

Jason

2. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

Something that exclusively used all new characters. Expand the universe and do something different. One thing they'd have to do would be to tone down the human characters, flood the show with aliens to show a far more accurate representation of the Federation and Starfleet.

Overgeeked and Nyotarules like this.
  3. guyute03

guyute03 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I am open to anything at this point. A Klingon show. A future "Time Cop" show. A Titan show with Riker & Troi. They could even just reboot the original animated series and I'd be happy. There are so many possibilities out there, they can really do anything in the universe and I'll watch.

4. wayne66

wayne66 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

An hour-long reanimated TAS. Also use the audio from the computer games and the audio books to create new animated episodes. These would act as the 4th and 5th year of the original 5 year mission year. After that recast the actors and do Phase 2, the second 5 year mission. After that, I am up for any kind of story that explores Star Trek's rich imaginary history.

5. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

The problem with anything set near or immediately after TMP is the massive, lifeless anti-colorful, not-too-human tone set by TMP. It nearly killed Star Trek before, so it would not be a good idea to go anywhere near that stale period.

6. GNDN18

GNDN18 270 Rear Admiral

Stone Trek
    06ABFBDA-5AD1-476E-B237-6DFA67A5D39A.jpeg

7. Galileo7

Galileo7 Commodore Commodore

[​IMG] ;)

8. Vger23

Vger23 Vice Admiral Admiral

Keep It Simple:

My kids love "Miles From Tomorrowland" which is a great animated series about a family solving problems and exploring space. It's great.

An animated Star Trek should follow a new crew or recreate an existing crew (TOS, TNG, etc) and follow them on adventures exploring space week to week. Nothing more, nothing less.

No high-concept bullshit, no Klingon show, no Birth of Federation wankery...just get back to basics. Adventure, action, smarts, and fun.

Admiral2 and Galileo7 like this.
  9. Vger23

We have a hard enough time representing the diversity of humanity, let alone all the aliens. Fuck aliens, show humans on the great adventure in space.

Admiral2 and 2takesfrakes like this.
  10. Jayson1

I'm not sure a Klingon show would count as being to complicated. It's basically them getting into fights every week. Make Worf the star and you got a hit.

Jason

11. Vger23

I don't mean to say it would be complicated. Just that it would be undesired and have no mass appeal.

12. Jayson1

Why not? People like Worf and action. Klingons are one of Trek's most popular aliens. They look non-human enough they should look good in CGI.

Jason

13. Vger23

I don't know man. Bring it on. Let's have a Horta series too. Kids will gobble that shit up.

14. Jayson1

Klingons fighting the Horta could be one episode. Then they fight the Gorn and then the Mugato. This of course is a chance to bring on my long ago idea of Klingon ninja's! The idea being back then was if the Klingons worship fighting they might be into all different sorts of combat.:shrug:

Jason

15. Vger23

Klingon ninjas would admittedly be epic.

Count me in.

16. Trapper Keeper

Trapper Keeper Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

As leery as I would be about getting back into the whole temporal cold war mess, I really think this would be a cool show. You could really explore a lot of neat ideas with the different eras, perhaps period-specific "episodes-of-the-week" with an underlying season arc.

My second choice would be early Fed period, Romulan War.

17. The Overlord

The Overlord Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Reanimated TAS sounds like a project only a hard core Trekie could love, what appeal would this to a general audience of either kids or adults?

Bad animation is not the only drawback of TAS, the limited voice cast did not help either, having Nichelle Nichols voice almost every female character on the show became pretty noticable.

Plus there are not many episodes of TAS, what is the point of spending money on new animation for a show with such a short life span?

I would rather see an original cartoon then a remastered version of TAS. That show is a product of its time, leave it in the past.

18. Shamrock Holmes

Shamrock Holmes Commodore Commodore

Frankly, I'd prefer they take the opportunity offered by animation to do the complete opposite of 'back to basics' in the sense of more 'starship goes somewhere, does stuff, goes away traditional episodic stuff' as IMO we've had enough of that sort of stuff already. Tho if we absolutely must have that, something like Star Trek: Titan that showcases characters that are genuinely physically and psychologically alien wouldn't be too bad.

My preference would be an updated early DS9 (or early Babylon 5-esque) show that to paraphase Q "moves away from mapping stars and studying nebulae, but charting the unknowable possibilities of existence." ie moves away world expanding and into world building and shows us more about what it means to be part of a civilisation with 150 different races with hundreds if not potentially thousands of different cultures, traditions and agendas.

Overgeeked likes this.
  19. Jayson1

You know the mention of Q made me think. What about a Trek show about Q? Get DeLancie to do the voice. Q can go anyplace or look like anything. From strange aliens to weird space anomolies. He can go to the past,present or future. God like powers means your only restricted by your imagination in terms of trying to figure out what his life is like when he isn't bugging Picard.

Jason

Danlav05 likes this.
  20. The Overlord

The Overlord Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I have heard some people on this message board express interest in a reanimated version of TAS, over an original animated show. My question is, why would that be a better choice? Bad animation is not the only production problem with that show, the limited voice cast is pretty noticeable, especially the fact that almost every female character is voiced by Nichelle Nichols. Not to mention there not many episodes of TAS, spending money reanimating these episodes would not be a good long term investment, because you have a short season 2 and no season 3.

This whole idea seems like a project only a hard core Trekie could love, an original cartoon can have a higher budget that would pay for better animation and a larger voice cast and new stories we have never seen before, that makes more sense to me then trying to revive a 70s era relic. I do not think a reanimated TAS would much appeal too a general audience, of kids or adults.