What is THE Worst continuity error in Trek history..?!

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Roald, Mar 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    kudos to KD. Coming from a tech/gaming forum background, the whole 'canon-size-of-Trek-craft'/'how many shuttles does Voyager have' issue is a big can of continuity worms :).

2. brian577

brian577 Captain Captain

I thought the doors opened just in time for the Enterprise to pass though and they weren't open all the way yet.

3. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

James T. Kirk

4. Rarewolf

Rarewolf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Kirk had been dead before - he came back. They never had a body.

Maybe Scotty had a belief Kirk would come back. If so he'd have been proven right after all.

5. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

It was never my intention to suggest that the Feds and Klingons went immediately to a hot war as a result of the disastrous first contact, particularly since to the best of my knowledge there was no such canonical war at all prior to the events depicted in "Errand Of Mercy." My thinking was simply that we got off on the wrong foot and things deteriorated from there. I neglected to reckon with the literal-mindedness of a portion of the viewership.

6. Nero's Shadow

Nero's Shadow Captain Captain

You mean James R Kirk on his gravestone in TOS episode WNMHGB now that bugs me ??

7. BillJ

James T. Kirk is the error, since those instances were filmed after Where No Man Has Gone Before.

8. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

What about those smiling Vulcanians from the planet Vulcanis?

Becca and somebuddyX like this.
  9. ngc7293

ngc7293 Commander Red Shirt

Everyone who has replied to this has looked at it from Scotty's point of view while most continuity errors are looked at as something the show did wrong. Well, Relics came out in 1992 and Generations came out in 1994. From the TV show's standpoint, Kirk was still alive. If the dates were reversed then there would be a continuity error.

lawman likes this.
  10. Nerys Myk

The order in which the stories were created doesn't change the fact there is a continuity error. From a continiuty standpoint Doohan shouldn't have been asked to reprise his role of Scotty in Generations because of what "Relics" established (Kirk was alive when Scotty was placed in stasis) Of course because of factors Doohan did get a part in Generations, continuity be damned! Interesting to note that "Relics" and Generations were both written by Ron Moore.

lawman likes this.
  11. Cyke101

Cyke101 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Moore knew full well that Scotty was in Relics when he was writing Generations. But he also publicly and blatantly said "fuck it" and included him anyway. Frankly, I'd have to agree -- getting Doohan into the film was more important than any sort of continuity error that only TNG fans would know, out of which only a fraction of whom would really care about.

Now, how Scotty was *handled* in the film is a different topic altogether :)

12. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

Scotty was supposed to be Spock in GEN.

13. lurok

TOS: Janice Lester ""Your world of starship captains doesn't admit women." (Turnabout Intruder)

ENT: ummm, remind again...who was the captain of the Columbia?

14. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

The long-held general consensus is that Janice Lester was a nut and that her words shouldn't be taken seriously.

15. Nerys Ghemor

Nerys Ghemor Vice Admiral Admiral

Rather than retconning that one for my fanfic, I wrote it to suggest an ethnic difference between those Cardassians and the ones you see as the vast majority. Sadly, the story comes complete with a near-genocide back in the Hebitian days (think "disastrous first contact" along the lines of what happened to the Native Americans or Australian Aboriginals). As for Macet--in my continuity he is Dukat's cousin; he happens to be multi-ethnic, or in 21st-century terms, biracial.

16. lurok

Only because it's convenient for retcon :)

I just saw that episode the other day as working my way through TNG (now on season 4). Huge DS9 fan already and to be honest didn't bother me in slightest, any more than Romulans looks different in TOS. And I was impressed Alaimo made Macet different enough: felt like a first draft sketch for Dukat :)

somebuddyX likes this.
  17. Nerys Myk

Though one would think that Number One from "The Cage" as an XO would become a Captain (and probably was one by the time of "Turnabout Intruder")

somebuddyX likes this.
  18. BillJ

The Cage and Turnabout Intruder do seem to conflict on the whole woman captain issue.

19. Nerys Myk

So we're back to Dr Lester was nuts. ;)

20. Nerys Ghemor

Nerys Ghemor Vice Admiral Admiral

You know, though...I think that the two of them still have very different personalities. Macet is a quieter, think-first-THEN-speak person. His gestures aren't as sweeping, as egotistical and arrogant. You can believe he got stuck having to defend a really, really shitty policy by his government, rather than that he was deliberately trying to screw everyone over. Everything about Dukat's tones and body language is different.

What all three of those first Cardassians did was provide "archetypes" for the varied Cardassian personalities we saw later on. They weren't simply 2-dimensional aliens-of-the-week that you could write off as all being the same.

lawman likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.