Were Culber and Stamets married?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Mr. Laser Beam, Nov 13, 2018.

1. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

You need an heir and a spare.

Lots of children would have been given the house names as christian names, who were not so close to the top of the line of succession, by jumped up social climbers sucking up to the patriarch...

Or the christian name is changed when you get the new job like with the king/queen of England in the olden days, or the pope (still today?).

2. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

Unisex accommodation in Starfleet was never an issue in the TNG era - see "Lower Decks", say.

Was it an issue in the 2250s-60s? "Hard to tell" as said issue never arises with the high and mighty TOS heroes who get their own cabins (except perhaps during the reshuffles in "Elaan of Troyius" or "Journey to Babel" or the line); "apparently not" as said issue never arises with the DSC ones. Having gotten past the shock of having a roommate at all, Tilly seemed to find it surprising that her mate would be female. Initially misled by Burnham's given name, she never got around to saying bunking with a male would have been this or that.

Timo Saloniemi

3. Guy Gardener

Tuvok shared a room with a few people in the 2290s, on the Excelsior, referenced during Voy Flashback.

Lowly Ensign Kim has his own room on Voyager despite all those Maquis showing up out of nowhere demanding billets.

I wonder if the murderous Lon Suder had a room mate before his house arrest?

Ar-Pharazon likes this.
  4. XCV330

XCV330 Premium Member

Considering the struggle people have had in this century to have the state recognize their unions, be it against the law due to gender or race, yes, its very damn relevant.

The fact people struggle so hard for it, (not to mention the work to keep them going) doesn't sound very diminishing to me. In any case, marriage seems pretty common in Trek's universe.

5. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

But not a big deal. And Trek in general has promoted futurism specifically by not making it a big deal. Sulu isn't on the bridge because Starfleet has a policy of affirmative action. He just is on the bridge, period. Ditto with Uhura, or Spock for that matter. Segregation isn't commented on by specifically mentioning how it has been eradicated, not even when Abraham Lincoln himself meets the "charming negress" aboard the ship. The TOS answer to bygone wrongs is to ignore them, as the doings of savages unrelated to the current fine stock of people.

This works fine with gay marriage, too. Making it a big deal would just make it a well-lit sign of lack of progress.

Timo Saloniemi

6. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Why would you expect that? Why would Starfleet care one way or another?

Forget the 23rd century. Here in the 21st century, unmarried couples cohabiting isn't exactly a scandal anymore. If a couple of Starfleet crew member want to share the same quarters, I imagine they simply file a request with whoever is charge of such arrangements. It would simply be a matter of availability and logistics. Nobody in Starfleet is going to ask to see their marriage licence.

Kemaiku, Nyotarules, MSPpete and 2 others like this.
  7. Guy Gardener

Is a double room bigger than a two singles?

A State Room might be bigger than 2 double rooms?

It's totally about ships resources.

2 people may need more than a single to live comfortably, but what about when they start producing children?

Did Sisko get a smaller room when his wife was murdered by the Borg, and a still smaller room when his boy bogged off?

The O'Brien's may have been in the same room on DS9, for seven years, despite how large their family grew. Miles seems like he would have been the supervisor to the clerk in charge of portioning out quarters, so was it an abuse of power when he didn't deport himself into a smaller room when his wife left for over a year?

Jake and Nog?

They shared a flat platonically.

Did they have to lie about frakking to be allotted that much space, or did they boink the minimum amount of coitus to be awarded that vivacious apartment?

8. Refuge

Refuge Vice Admiral Admiral

It really doesn’t matter if they were married because as far as the writers were concerned Culber was dead meat.

9. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Nope

JoeP likes this.
  10. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ Yeah, that "bury your gays" thing doesn't really hold water here, because Culber's story is not over.

JoeP likes this.
  11. Refuge

Right, no one ever dies on Discovery. However is Culber coming back exactly like he was originally?? If he's some spirit Culber then that is kind of pathetic. If he's bodily just the same then it's back to business.

12. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think it's been confirmed that Culber will NOT return as a ghost or a flashback or his MU counterpart.

13. Refuge

So what is he then?

14. XCV330

XCV330 Premium Member

one of several resurrected trek characters going back to McCoy, I'd guess.

15. Guy Gardener

Are we certain that Culber is human?

1 in 5 people are lgbtq today, I can only assume that ratio rises the future, once the world gets a little more accepting.

There are more homosexuals on Discovery than those two, and realistically at least some of the random deaths on camera over season one were not cisgender heterosexuals.

16. Greg Cox

Why would we want to know that in advance? Talk about a spoiler!

We'll find out when we find out, which is the way it's supposed to work.

Hythlodeus, JoeP and Vger23 like this.
  17. Refuge

You know what I do sometimes?? I start watching a movie or series at home and if it's an action movie or thriller and there's a critter in it I go to the Wikipedia synopsis and check if I can stomach the ending. Like I was really enjoying 'Ray Donovan' until I read something I didn't like. Wouldn't watch anymore. (Also another example and spoiler alert - 'Penthouse North' the cat owns the last scene :)).

Even with Discovery. Being in the timezone I'm in I would read everyone's rants and raves of the episode and then watch it myself and then join in.

18. Greg Cox

At the risk of showing my age, that's something about modern fandom I don't quite get. Back before the internet, there wasn't this expectation that we should be able to know everything there is to know about some new movie or TV show from the moment it's green-it to right before we see it. If we went to see THE ABOMINABLE DR. PHIBES or WESTWORLD at the drive-in, pretty much all we knew was what was in the posters and TV commercials.

Heck, the first time I saw RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK, I had no idea what the movie was going to be about. To be honest, I assumed it had something to do with Noah's Ark. :)

Confession: I stumbled onto RAIDERS by accident because it was playing on a double bill with THE LEGEND OF THE LONE RANGER, which was the movie I was actually excited about seeing. Little did I know how backwards my expectations were . . ...

Nyotarules, ozzfloyd, Vger23 and 2 others like this.
  19. Vger23

Vger23 Vice Admiral Admiral

Why is it "pathetic?" I'm not sure I follow.

20. Nyotarules

Nyotarules Vice Admiral Moderator

Why not, why assume the whole of Starfleet operates 100% on old human cultural values...that would be absurd for an intergalactic organisation.