Welcome to the 25th Century!

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by Tom, Feb 7, 2019.

1. King Daniel Beyond

King Daniel Beyond Fleet Admiral Admiral

We can implement such AI today in videogames, I'm sure the holoKlingons could fight hand-to-hand.
    You're right. The transwarp Salamander drive couldn't travel through time or to alternate universes.

2. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Vice Admiral Admiral

In the 24th century, sure. No evidence of it in the 23rd.

Not as realistic as the 24th century holograms, not even close.

3. King Daniel Beyond

The sad thing is, even if they prove me 100% right in this season or next, you'll just switch tac and say it's a retcon and the old doesn't matter anymore (like the lines about cloaks in "Balance of Terror"). So this entire conversation is a waste of time.

4. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

Mixer left his home in Somewhere, Connecticut
    Dunno...looked kind of cartoony to me....

Commander Richard and Tuskin38 like this.
  5. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I love Discovery. It's turned into my favorite Trek series. But when I'm watching the Picard Series, I'm not going to judge it by comparing its tech to DSC's. I'm just viewing it as a late follow-up to TNG/DS9/VOY.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
  6. Tuskin38

No I won't.

And I already accept somethings like the Star Trek Generations era+ forcefields as being Retcons.
    They obviously didn't exist in TOS.

7. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

:shifty:

8. fireproof78

fireproof78 Admiral Admiral

Cloaks went out with ENT. But, with that, I'll just hold on to TMP as evidence of tech changes in Starfleet can occur rapidly just like DSC. :beer:

Markonian likes this.
  9. King Daniel Beyond

I'm quite glad to hear you admit that.
    Change going forward makes sense. It's progress. Change going backward/directly overwriting existing canon like "The Cage" is another matter entirely. It shatters suspension of disbelief.

10. fireproof78

To each their own. I don't feel like there is enough canon to shatter with regards to the Cage. I certainly do not feel like it is any more egregious than TMP. And, I don't believe that tech change always makes sense going forward.

Regardless, it doesn't fundamentally alter my enjoyment of DSC or my view of it in light of TOS.

11. drt

drt Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Which forcefields? TOS brig used forcefield doors and the TMP shuttlebay had the atmospheric curtain.

12. Tuskin38

The type we saw in S1 episode 2 of DSC when the shenzhou gets the crap kicked out of her. They first showed up in the TOS parts of Star Trek Generations, in universe timeline speaking.

There’s no evidence they exited before that.

13. Markonian

Markonian Commodore Commodore

Regarding the thread topic of ushering into the 25th century,
    I wouldn’t mind seeing elements of the expanded universe (e.g. Luna-/Vesta-class from TrekLit and STO) as Easter eggs.

If we get to see Starfleet uniforms, it may not have to be the All Good Things/The Visitor/Endgame jammies.

Whether grim or bright, I look forward to being awe-inspired by this vision of the future. A new era of Trek!

14. SG-17

SG-17 Commodore Commodore

I just want a new episodic exploration show set on the USS Enterprise G in the mid 25th century. Around 100 years after TNG.

Let there be some breathing room, don't talk about a lot of what happens between Picard and this show so they can make more interquels.

That or a 29th century time travel show.

Galileo7 likes this.
  15. Unimatrix Q

Unimatrix Q Captain Captain

Trek always was in a constant state of retcon even or especially during Berman Trek...

So retconning things is nothing new.

16. WarpFactorZ

WarpFactorZ Commodore Commodore

There's no evidence they didn't exist, either, and in fact I think there IS indirect evidence. First, as pointed out, the brig had a forcefield, so the tech exists. Second, on numerous occasions the hull is compromised/breached (TWOK, TUC, and probably numerous TOS eps), yet there's no ship-wide explosive decompression. When Khan is carving up the secondary hull, everyone in engineering and EVERY room directly connected to it should have been blown out the hole like in STiD, but they were fine.

I'm sure Starfleet recognized that only having a thin plate of metal between the crew and vacuum is probably bad for insurance policies...

17. Tuskin38

I think emergency bulkheads are mentioned.

18. fireproof78

Especially after the NX-01.

"Hull plating offline."

19. WarpFactorZ

WarpFactorZ Commodore Commodore

Yes, but the decompression is immediate if the hull ruptures. By the time the emergency bulkheads move into place, they'd probably have lost hundreds of crewmembers. It makes more sense that a force field goes up at once in the event of a breached hull, and THEN the bulkheads come down as a redundant safety measure.

20. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

re: Force fields keeping air in: TAS had life support belts. Those were originally conceived of for TOS "The Tholian Web," but they were rejected in favor of the environmental suits for reasons.

http://www.orionpressfanzines.com/articles/in_essence--nothing.htm
    https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Life_support_belt

That's only one of the ideas originally thought of for TOS that first showed up in TAS. Another was the holodeck-like rec room first seen in TAS "The Practical Joker." That was an idea that Roddenberry himself wanted to introduce in the third season of TOS, but it was not to be [https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Holodeck]:

The concept of the holodeck originated in 1968, when Gene Roddenberry came up with the idea of a "simulated outdoor recreation area" on the Enterprise for the third season of Star Trek: The Original Series. This idea never came to fruition, probably because of budget constraints. (Inside Star Trek: The Real Story, p. 404) The idea was later used in the Star Trek: The Animated Series episode "The Practical Joker", which was basically the first appearance of the holodeck, then called a "recreation room". ​

Tuskin38 likes this.