Unrealized Stories From Throwaway Lines

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Farscape One, Oct 12, 2022.

1. at Quark's

at Quark's Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Could have been just a recipe for a dish. By their own account, they asked the inhabitants of Rivos Five for no more when they helped them defend against the Borg. Assuming Kurros spoke the truth, that is.

2. Oddish

Oddish Admiral Admiral

Given that the Vidiians have exceptional medical tech, I could see a lot of their abilities interesting the Think Tank. They were interested in the quantum slipstream drive, after all.

trekshark and publiusr like this.
  3. Farscape One

Farscape One Vice Admiral Admiral

Their wanting the quantum slipstream drive is part of what makes me think the Vidiian boast was a lie, because why would they be interested in technology that can get them to travel that far if they already have it?

4. Farscape One

This is sort of off-topic, but it hit me while reading this.

Helping devise a defense against the Borg is great, but it can only work for so long because of their adaptive and relentless nature. It's almost like inviting more of them if you come up with something.

Which made me think of the Wraith on STAGATE ATLANTIS. They fed on humans, yes, but the worlds they seem to target first are the ones that reach a certain level of technology, which is why the Genii exist secretly. It makes me wonder if the writers were inspired by the Borg with that aspect of the Wraith.

trekshark and Ianburns252 like this.
  5. Oddish

Oddish Admiral Admiral

I kind of wonder, regarding "Think Tank"... if Seven had offered to join their little club in return for them getting Voyager home, do you think they would have gone for it? Even if their own transwarp drive tech couldn't be adapted to Voyager, I'll bet if anyone could have ironed out the bugs in QS tech, it was them.

6. Farscape One

Given Janeway's maternal feelings for Seven, I'd say no. But Seven might very well want to do it for the crew.

7. Oddish

Oddish Admiral Admiral

Oh, I know Janeway wouldn't have let Seven go if she wanted to stay. But what if Seven, with her Borg-influenced logic, had decided to sacrifice her desires to serve her collective (Voyager)? Would the Think Tank have agreed to her counterproposal (get Voyager home and I stay with you)? And if so, could they have gotten the ship home?

8. matthunter

matthunter Admiral Admiral

It's also quite possible Tom - having not had the same life experiences as Will - still sided with Pressman and was appalled at his former Captain being raked over the coals by Starfleet.

9. Farscape One

That's a great point that I don't think anyone has brought up. Will and Tom are ultimately very different people because of the Nervala splitting. Will had Picard as a mentor for much of the time Tom was stuck alone on that planet.

I can definitely see this as a strong possibility, and also a turning point on why he joined the Maquis.

10. Oddish

Oddish Admiral Admiral

Tom Riker seriously deserves a bit of closure... maybe he gets cryogenically frozen in some kind of Cardassian experiment, and doesn't get found until 3189... a way to sneak Jonathan Frakes into yet another Trek show! ;)

11. Farscape One

I wouldn't be surprised if the writers are already trying get Frakes in a live action show... probably for BOTH SNW and DISCO. (Ancestor and descendant.)

TNG, DS9, VGR, ENT, PIC, LD... what's 2 more shows under his belt? Hell, let's go for broke... add PRODIGY. Literally make him be in every show that has aired since TNG premiered.

(This is not a dig at Frakes. I genuinely love the guy and his eternal jolliness with the franchise. I just find it amusing at the almost game it has become in 'How To Write Jonathan Frakes Onto Our Show?')

12. Oddish

Oddish Admiral Admiral

Indeed. And I'm counting this as an honorable mention for TOS as well:

Sumire and Farscape One like this.
  13. Farscape One

I forgot about that commercial!

14. Mojochi

Mojochi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I dunno. Anything's possible, but the gist of young Riker's involvement in the Pegasus mutiny boiled down to not having much idea of the goings on, & when the more experienced & better briefed officers turned on him, over the project's dangerousness & questionability, a rather clueless young Riker just saw "Mutiny" & did the dutybound thing.

As Will describes it, his choice to defend Pressman didn't seem to have anything to do with agreeing with the project per say, but more just following academy trained indoctrination. Seeing what became of Tom, in how he's not really much of an officer anymore at all, after his abandonment. Something tells me he probably isn't the same kind of guy to go to bat for a captain anymore either, just because he's a captain. Certainly, falling into Maqui sympathy would kind of support that conclusion too

So it's hard for me to think Renegade Riker is still a guy who feels loyalty to Pressman, but either way, he DID more than likely get dragged into whatever tribunal took place, to give testimony, & that happening could not have looked any better for him than it did for Will (Who had the benefit of at least being the whistleblower) Which makes Tom look more like a colluder (Which he & Will & any others who hushed it up are)

Bottom line, it sets up a rough look for Tom, back on the Gandhi, where now everyone knows what happened, & suspects him of collusion, which is probably merited, because Riker probably continued to benefit from Pressman's recommendations well after the event, as a kind of reward for keeping silent. I tend to even think it's why Will became so full of bravado, independence, & heroism afterward too. The heroism of Nervala IV itself, for which he's probably decorated, might well have been overcompensating out of guilt for having been involved in those Pegasus deaths, and for somewhat benefiting from it in his career.

15. somebuddyX

somebuddyX Commodore Commodore

This isn't a throwaway line but it did come from more wondering how a conversation went down at the end of an aired episode, as like a short story or something. There's a military installation on alert, the enemy ship has invaded their space and is on course to attack. People are looking at screens and see their defense ships are wiped out. You pan up: it's the Enterprise-D and this is "Conundrum" and you play it from the Lysians point-of-view. Because I was thinking today that what the Lysians went through could be played like the Earth/Minbari War from Babylon 5 with a more advanced alien aggressor just completely outmatching you. I think the 15000 people on the central command would be freaking the hell out. I was watching the clip on Youtube and was wondering if you recut it with more ominous music how scary it would be for those guys.
    And I was wondering how that conversation at the end went down with the Lysians.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2022
    trekshark and Farscape One like this.
  16. Farscape One

I love that idea.

I'll take it a step further...

(This is just a theory, but I don't know the rules on this part, so I'm going to be cautious and put it under a spoiler tag.)

What if the villain played by Amanda Plummer is a Lysian? She goes after Picard and the others because she lost someone close to her on that Lysian ship the Enterprise destroyed?

I know they were way behind the Federation in weapons technology, but what if that incident spooked them so badly the Lysians devoted ALL their resources to making better weapons, shields, ships, etc.? They might have even gone the Pakled route and scavenged for it. Or possibly what STARGATE SG-1 did... find alien tech, and reverse engineer it to give them a vastly superior ship in a much shorter time than if they did it on their own.

For all we know, they cannibalized a Husnock ship that was lying around. (A fun way to tie TWO standalone episodes together.)

17. Oddish

Oddish Admiral Admiral

I sometimes wonder what happened to that poor sap who Kira kicked out of his homestead in "Progress"... everything he had spent his life building was destroyed, and all he had left was despair. He would have deemed himself too old to start over from scratch, and probably seen the Bajoran equivalent of a retirement community as worse than pointless. Maybe he doesn't die... but does he ever really live again?

18. Orphalesion

Orphalesion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This might be an unpopular opinion, but I had little sympathy for that guy and I think LD handled a very similar situation much better. It wasn't so much the situation but the way the episode presented it and the arguments it tried to make in favour of the farmer.

Though the episode made very little sense; Bajor just destroys an inhabitable moon with a fully functioning eco system? Now let's put the ecological ramifications aside...but the moon was arable for farming.
    Throughout DS9 characters make kind of a big deal out of Bajor being ravaged by the occupation and much of its soil rendered infertile for farming...and they just convert ready available farmland on a moon into a lifeless powerplant?
    Huh?
    (though it's been years since I saw the episode so I might be misremembering stuff)

19. Oddish

Oddish Admiral Admiral

I think you pretty much had it right. The DS9 Nitpicker's Guide agrees with you, anyway.

If you ignore the stupidity of the concept, Kira's actions were right... to aid millions, one person had to be thrown under the bus. I'm just wondering what happens to the guy after the bus rolls over him. I don't know where life took him afterward, but I doubt it was anywhere good.

20. Farscape One

While it's true they tapped into that moon to take care of the needs of millions, we only have Mullibok's home to use as a basis to show if the moon was overall really worth keeping as a farming colony. For all we know, only a tiny fraction was farmable, and it was where Mullibok happened to be.

Also, the issue was there was an immediate need... I believe it was a harsh winter at that time, and the other option the Bajorans had would take too long to solve the current crisis.

trekshark and Oddish like this.