TNG Returns!

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Khan 2.0, Jun 19, 2018.

1. Paul Weaver

Paul Weaver Vice Admiral Premium Member

E getting destroyed is quite realistic, even after 25 years. The D lasted 7. Defiant about 3.

2. Herbert

Herbert Commodore Commodore

Maybe they should just worry about telling entertaining stories sans the 2018 social commentary. Maybe they should have avoided that all along. I look to TV as an escape. I get bludgeoned on a daily basis with real life stuff. I don't need that on my TV shows.

And yes, I understand that some people want that commentary in their TV. I don't

Last edited: Jun 23, 2018
    PhotoBoy, Butters and Phoenix219 like this.
  3. Jayson1

Jayson1 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Commentary has always been part of Trek. I can understand the desire for creatively effective commentary. I don't think people want the show to to feel to to preachy but on the other hand if you do have Picard he is one of the few people who can make a kind of preachy speech and make it work. Stewart is just that good. It's also one of the reasons why I think "DIscovery" when it gets political doesn't work as well for them as when "TNG" use to do it. It's because you don't have someone with the clout and presence of Stewart playing Picard making those political points. Of course it will be interesting to see what a Picard speech or even the Picard characer might be like without PIllar,Moore,Jeri Taylor etc around. It's one of the reasons I think they should hire Ron Moore. Having someone who knows the character and how to write him would be great. Behr possibly also but since he never much cared about TNG i'm not sure. Taylor I think is retired and Braga is no way, not again!

Jason

4. Jayson1

One other reason why we might not see the Enterprise-E is they might not be allowed to show it. Wasn't that ship designed with some rule that it could only be used in movies? It's why it never showed up on "DS9' despite them having massive fleet battles. Not sure if that rule would still stand with a new tv show.

Jason

5. Mojochi

Mojochi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm pretty sure they won't be wearing the same uniforms either

6. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

Maybe you shouldn't be watching Star Trek then as that has been the main point of the shows since day one.

Also would Starfleet give Picard THREE Enterprises? :lol:

Longinus likes this.
  7. Danlav05

Danlav05 Commodore Commodore

8. Paul Weaver

I'd hope the wouldn't. They went through 3 uniforms in the space of about 6 years.

Why not? They gave Kirk two, and Picard is better than Kirk.

9. SpocksOddSocks

SpocksOddSocks Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Last edited: Jun 24, 2018
  10. PhotoBoy

PhotoBoy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Personally I want the whole cast back for more of an All Good Things type send off. Nemesis was a terrible way to say goodbye to the characters so anything to fix that would be good in my book. I’m not averse to introducing a few younger characters like the movies did with Decker/Ilia/Saavik to help round things out.

Maybe they would be better off doing a reunion a bit like how Red Dwarf was brought back? That continuation basically reset everything to how the show was in its hey dey as it was assumed the majority of the audience would be familiar with that. It totally ignored the cliffhanger the show had ended on many years before. I don’t necessarily mean decanonise the Trek movies or anything, but just do things like having Data back and don’t bother to explain it and let the audience assume some offscreen adventure occurred to bring him back.

Actually, if this has been in discussion for a while now, I wonder if it’s why the novels have all dried up?

11. Mojochi

Mojochi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

And they gave Kirk a refit, that they hadn't planned on giving him, which raises an interesting thought. Why not just a refit of the E? Ultimately it doesn't have to look anything like it originally did, The Constitution didn't. So you design an entirely new ship, & just call it a refit. Problem solved

bigdaddy and SpocksOddSocks like this.
  12. SpocksOddSocks

SpocksOddSocks Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Ambassador Picard, tired of seeing the political fallout caused by the destruction of Romulus, decides to defy the temporal prime directive and attempt to save it. He knows he can't just trust anyone, so he has to contact old colleagues, steal a ship and fix the post Nemesis prime timeline. The Kelvin universe has already been created and separate, so would not be affected (unfortunately :devil:). Riker can get to play the villain as the Titan is the ship sent to stop him.

OK, I'm being ridiculous, but just throwing ideas out there, and this wouldn't surprise me.

PhotoBoy and Paul Weaver like this.
  13. Jayson1

I think the main reason we won't see the Enterprise-E is simply because I don't think people fell in love with that ship like they have others in Trek. Especially if you go with the notion that TNG only had one good movie in "First Contact" which means the ship is also sort of mentally connected to TNG not at it's best.

Jason

bigdaddy, Paul Weaver and Armus like this.
  14. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

It would be nice if, even if it was under the TNG banner, it would be a mini-series that mainly featured the TNG crew, but also involved characters from DS9 (maybe even a plot thread involving DS9) and Voyager.

PhotoBoy and Phaser Two like this.
  15. mos6507

mos6507 Commodore Commodore

While nobody really fell in love with the Enterprise-E, it is still just as much of a symbol of the prime timeline as Patrick Stewart.

Considering how much controversy surrounds changes to production design in the Kelvin-verse and Discovery, maintaining some direct continuity in the look and feel department would probably be very well received rather than shoehorning Picard into some sort of Millennial-approved sequined abomination with a half-collar or equally barftastic uniform on a bridge with a window and joysticks and translucent glass panels and all that garbage. (Maybe the reason he's asking for a million an episode is he's anticipating having to humiliate himself like this).

I don't think the production design from Nemesis looks that dated, IMHO.

Phaser Two likes this.
  16. WarpFactorZ

WarpFactorZ Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't think it's anywhere near as iconic as the D, and certainly not something I associate with the prime timeline. I personally never cared for the E-E. It was a clunky design and badly rendered CG. I never "believed" I was looking at a real ship the way I was with the other Enterprises.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2018
  17. Paul Weaver

I'd be happy for a refit, although why not increment the letter. Only a few nerds know that the 1701-E sovereign class exists.

I'd be happy to have the big D back too.

18. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

Who wouldn't love big D... oh you meant the ship.

Just make Picard an Admiral and he gets to pick his ship, he picks a Galaxy Class that's been retrofitted like in the series finale.

19. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

Aside from 2 shots in First Contact, the Enterprise-E was shot with a physical studio model. The only confirmed CGI shot was the temporal vortex, where a low-resolution CGI E was used and then John Eaves believes (but does not quite remember) that the low resolution CGI model was also used for the close-up of the ship as it joins the Borg battle and blocks the Defiant from a Borg attack. https://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Sovereign_class_model

Otherwise the CGI version of the Enterprise-E did not debut until Star Trek Insurrection.

20. Butters

Butters Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I feel the opposite. The E was the first time the ship felt really real for me. It was all new, but we saw almost all of it. The warp core, access holes between floors, external shots with interior detail, the escape pods launched. Walking on the outside of it, zero g combat, on the dish. This felt less like a set than any previous episode or film.

Stoo, bigdaddy and Phaser Two like this.