TNG Returns!

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Khan 2.0, Jun 19, 2018.

1. TrickyDickie

TrickyDickie Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I feel that the Enterprise-B is okay, the C is fair, but the D never looked right at all....completely out of proportion, with the giant saucer and the rest being tiny by comparison. I really tried to like it and even built a model when the kit was released in the late 80s. But even with that it was saucer-heavy and the most unsatisfying model ever. I have even posted in the past how the nacelles and pylons look as if they were designed after someone's computer desk chair. Granted that in space there are no concerns about such things....still. Aesthetics should count for something. I would not want to serve on something like the D. It looks like a caricature.

The E suffers from 'no-neck syndrome'. It looks squashed down.

I have not cared for renderings of F-G-H-I-J. Tired of the shovel/spoon or triangular saucer trend.

I think the C would have been better with different nacelles and pylons.

The B would have been better with different pylons and a different secondary hull.

For that matter, the original and the A would have been better with larger secondary hull and more substantial pylons.

I would do something with the 25th century, rather than reboot TNG. Although, incorporating a short intro with the TNG crew as a better wrap-up than Nemesis could work nicely if done right as part of the first episode of a new series.

2. Paradise City

Paradise City Commodore Commodore

I thought D was a very plausible rendition of what a starship would look like a 100 years from when the Connie was at its zenith. E looks cool and steamlined and all yet somewhow underwhelming. It's kinda like what supercars are now; it's hard to know what to do to make them look better.

ThankQ, PhotoBoy and Paul Weaver like this.
  3. Twilight Phoenix

Twilight Phoenix Captain Captain

*takes some pop corn, and watches people argue over starship design*
    :hugegrin::whistle:

Syd Shanshala, ThankQ and bigdaddy like this.
  4. marillion

marillion Vice Admiral Admiral

My god.. 22 years? The thought of that makes my mind explode.. Seems like it was just yesterday, sometimes. Geeez...

I agree that there is no need to have an F yet. 22 years is nothing when it comes to Starfleet ships. Look how long the original Enterprise was in service, and that one was just cardboard, wood and blinky lights! :D

Seriously though, while I can see it having gone through a refit, I think having the E under new command is just fine. That said, I still say it doesn't even have to have the Enterprise on it other than in the background. All of these characters have moved beyond their time on the ship.

Sakonna likes this.
  5. ThankQ

ThankQ Fleet Admiral Admiral

Here's how I would explain Data's aging: I would remind everyone that he is a human actor on a show where your head shrink can sense the emotions of the people of a planet... from orbit. Oh, and she can do telepathy with dudes she's spread for.

But an android with wrinkles? Please, we're trying to be taken seriously here.

Jedman67 likes this.
  6. tharpdevenport

tharpdevenport Admiral Admiral

Agreed on all points above.

I might ad, all those Enterprises just look like rejected versions of the E.

7. Twilight Phoenix

Twilight Phoenix Captain Captain

Oh yeah, we're trying to be taken seriously here. So let's stop with that stupid show about impossible light speed trips, giant starships, dilithium motors that won't ever exist and non believable humanoid extra-terrestrials... :shrug:
    Let's watch the National Geographic channel instead, at least it will be serious stuff !
    #teamsarcasm

ThankQ likes this.
  8. TrickyDickie

TrickyDickie Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, the best new Enterprise in a long time is this one:

[​IMG]

The 'Twizzlerprise'. :drool::lol:

Syd Shanshala, ThankQ and XCV330 like this.
  9. XCV330

XCV330 Premium Member

I knew there was an F, another spoony ship (ugh) but I had no idea about G through I.
    J i like only because it is so vague that nothing is really known about it at all, and also that it comes from an alternate timeline was changed.

10. Jayson1

Jayson1 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I mostly agree but their does come a time were someone's age is so different from what they are playing that it is hard to suspend one's disbelief. I mean I don't think people would buy Shatner playing himself as he was on "TOS." today. A lot would depend on just what modern Spiner looked like in the makeup which is unknown.

Jason

11. Paul Weaver

Paul Weaver Vice Admiral Premium Member

Except most of the time she can't, other than "they're hiding something", or "they're scared"

12. Khan 2.0

Khan 2.0 Commodore Commodore

13. Danlav05

Danlav05 Commodore Commodore

SpocksOddSocks likes this.
  14. dinzy

dinzy Captain Captain

Drinking Jippers on a beach somewhere in MD
    The link suggests it may be the animated show. That would certainly get around the physical aging issue, but I suspect people would complain about aging voices.

15. SpocksOddSocks

SpocksOddSocks Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Or childish behaviour:

But yeah, I'd certainly like an animated TNG... But I just think I'd like a Picard mini series more.

PhotoBoy and Ar-Pharazon like this.
  16. Gavin70

Gavin70 Commander Red Shirt

I don't know. I think I'd pay good money to see Patrick Stewart as the lead in a Die Hard film. :hugegrin:

Longinus likes this.
  17. Jayson1

Jayson1 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Just go and watch the "Starship Mine" episode and you will get what you desire.

Jason

18. tharpdevenport

tharpdevenport Admiral Admiral

I'd like to see him as a churlish ostentatiously villain in a Die Hard film. A real bastard that you actively root for to die in the most awesome way possible.

19. Syd Shanshala

Syd Shanshala Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I can see it now, they set the entire series between 2 episodes of TNG, like the ENT finale, just to satisfy the fanboys. It’ll be on the D, they’ll wear the original TNG uniforms and everyone will have melted noticeably, be sporting bad hair dye jobs, and gained lots of weight. Can’t wait!
    *rolls eyes to back of head*

Give us a high quality mini series, directed by Frakes, set aboard the E, and featuring cgi Captain Data and Stewart as Admiral Picard

20. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

Or some parts of Insurrection.