Spoilers Thor: Love and Thunder grade and discussion thread

How do you rate Love and Thunder?

• Total voters
I voted C. It had an ok story, but its attempts at humor really fell flat for me (except Thor and Sif talking about Valhalla, that got a chuckle), moments that should have been serious weren't handled well, Gor was just kind of boring and the whole movie felt very weightless in terms of substance. Also, all the kid scenes and the kid power fight and Thor adopting the girl really sucked. Also, taking a piss on the Warriors Three, which they definitely did as a fuck you to the people who complained about their pointless deaths, came off as very petty.

Jane was fine, and I liked her ending. I'm especially glad that Thor didn't lose his actual name, which was the only major problem I had with the comic version of Jane Foster Thor (well, that and Jason Aaron being a mediocre writer, but the name thing was my only problem with the concept itself). The God Council was cool, especially Zeus, I'd like to see them again and hercules looks interesting.

Overall this wasn't a bad movie, but I did feel pretty disappointed in it. I like Taika Waititi, but the fact that he didn't really nail the comedy, which is supposed to be his thing, along with the story just being kind of average has brought down my opinion of him. I think Thor Ragnarok really benefited from him just directing and not writing the script. Its nowhere near being bad, but its disappointing enough that I hjonestly feel that I couldn't really recommend it.

Its very similar to Wonder Woman in that way, a great film outing by a director with a character that goes downhill when they take over writing duties in the sequel, although Taika at his most mediocre is still better then what Jenkins did with WW84.

Somewhere between B- and C+. It was just too silly and not in a good way. The Christian Bale character was right--the gods are douches and needed to die. ;)

A few small giggles, here and there, but otherwise just too goofy for me to care very much about what was going on.

I was questioning whether Gorr's deity being such a dick in the opening was the right choice. I mean, it's not entirely uncommon for gods to be dicks to "mere" followers, but I suppose in my own mind I'd have handled it a bit differently. :D

The D & D franchise has had some fun with the idea of deities deriving power from supporting their worshippers, even if they happen to be evil or monstrous and such support is not overly conspicuous at times. The pantheon in the Forgotten Realms setting was "shaken up" by Ao (the supreme creator deity, normally rather passive) when he noticed that even the good deities were often falling behind in their duties to mortals, so he temporarily forced all of the gods into mortal forms during the Time of Troubles. They had to earn their divinity back, and quite a few gods were slain.

Some gods whose religions die out or lose all their worshippers can become "comatose" and drift in places like the Astral Plane, sleeping until such a time as they're either revived or something strong enough destroys their forms.

Yes.

I walked out of the movie feeling that both Natalie and Jaimie had been mistreated by the film by being brought back just to have their characters killed; Sif surviving means that only Natalie got screwed here, and since she (Natalie) played the better and more interesting character, it makes the ending suck even more.

I didn't mind Jane dying, as it fits with her comic arc, but I do wish aspects of her time as Thor (and the complications caused by using Mjolnir) didn't feel quite as rushed as they do. Between this film and Ragnorok, I feel like the overall flow in that film was better and more consistent.

A-

I think I liked it more than Ragnarok. The story was better. It was really funny, but was able be serious too and it worked. Cast was really good. The movie seemed to move along nicely too. I liked all the cameos as well as the easter eggs in the background. I had been wanting to see Eternity since the beginning of the Infinity story, and was surprised to see how he was interpreted, but still interesting. I'm looking forward to seeing it again.

"...maybe your arm is in Valhalla."

Wow, that was an incredibly fun adventure of, well, finding one's love and thunder.

Not only that, but this film was finally a worthy story for the mighty Natalie Portman. I loved the level of direness she gave Jane's struggles and denial over her terminal cancer, before earning her hero's death, one worthy of Valhalla!

Best. Post-credits scene. Ever. Seriously. That's how you do a post-credits scene. Such a touching endnote for Jane...and shaggy Heimdall is the one to greet her!

I think Taika Waititi did an excellent job of striking just the right balance of silly antics of Thor, Korg, and everything Zeus with the dark and dangerous nature of Gorr the God Butcher. Christian Bale delivered a truly frightening performance while also giving just the right amount of pathos over Gorr's anguish.

I loved how Waititi brought to life Gorr's ethereal shadow creatures, evoking how I've imagined similar creatures in A Wizard of Earthsea and Odd Thomas...well until those creatures gained the shape of typical monsters. I especially loved the black and white sequences of the Shadow Realm, which I found to be the one of the most creatively fascinating sequences of the entire MCU.

I also liked how Waititi tied Jane's and Gorr's stories together with how they both needed magical objects to give them life and even purpose, which was something Gorr noted when he mocked Jane for her pain. I similarly liked how he tied Thor's and Gorr's stories together for their mutual need for love, one that accumulated with Thor accepting Gorr's request to take care of his daughter just as Gorr dies. I even loved the slightly tacky ending of the Adventures of Love and Thunder, especially because Hemsworth's daughter, India, portrays Love!

Speaking of cameos, my favorite cameo, stealing the show once again, is the mighty Sif! If I have only one complaint about this film it would be that Sif should've been part of the main adventure instead of the two small appearances (even if the first gave of us that hilarious exchange about her arm...!). I wonder if this was because Alexander was busy yet again and that's as much as she could do.

A close second favorite: DARCY!!!! I never doubted for a second we wouldn't get the great and amazing Darcy, even after Kat Dennings said she wasn't in it (either a fib or her inclusion was a late addition...it doesn't matter!). Less of a complaint since it wouldn't have fit as well as Sif, but I also wish she was part of the main adventure. But I'll take that one scene!

I still wish we got the scenes with The Grandmaster, Eitri, and whoever Lena Headey portrayed (Hera?). I'm sure we'll get to see those scenes eventually, but I want them in the main film itself!

One unfortunate thing about my showing was how the speakers weren't working properly and the audio (particularly for the dialogue) sounded flat. I could hear everything just fine but it lacked the dimension of cinematic experience. That said, that flatness actually worked really well in the Shadow Realm where I imagine the audio didn't vary from the rest of the film for everyone else.

Last edited:
A

I see comments above like 'kids movie" and I guess that means I'm just a big and very old kid as I enjoyed and laughed more with it then I did with Thor: Ragnarok. And I guess the audience I was with was in the same frame of mind as there was plenty of group laughter in the theater I was at.

Overall, no this film (beyond Jane's cancer situation) didn't take itself overly seriously, and for me, that was more of a positive than a negative. It was an entertaining two+ hours with a couple of heavy as well as heartfelt moments.

I loved the bits where Thor's Stormbringer was 'jealous' of Majolnir and some of the other ridiculous bits. The film made no pretense about what type of film it was - a 'leave your brain at the door' popcorn flick.

Loved it. (But I also see why your garden variety reviewer would not like this film.)

And I glad it looks like we'll get a Thor 5; and a Thor vs Hercules situation.

Last edited:
I thought it was pretty fun. Loved Jane going to Valhalla.

The screaming goats made the whole thing worth it.

:lol:

B

I'd consider this an example of the humor not really working, as I liked the nod to the screaming goat meme but it got tiresome after the goats were first introduced. The closest other example I could think of is the scene in the Pacific Rim sequel where the jaeger group is launching, and one of the young pilots pulls up the Trololo Guy to watch while they're in flight. It's a bit of lightness with a story context (it helps him stay calm) and doesn't detract from the more serious elements. YMMV of course. :)

This is probably the most faithful to any comic story that any MCU movie has ever been.

Its unfortunate that they picked a Jason Aaron story, then :lol: Can't wait until they adapt his horrible Avengers run into a movie :barf:

Oh, something I forgot to mention it in my other post, the screaming goats were funny, so that's two actually funny moments in the film. Its not much, but I wanted to mention them after I was reminded, because they were entertaining.

I will say, the post-credits scene with Zeus and
Hercules
was very good. It's proof of Crowe's acting he could be so goofy before and come off as threatening later.

I actually managed to not see a single frame of footage before watching though I knew about Jane's role. At this point I think they must throw lines in like "Lady Thor" "No, it's Mighty Thor!" just to troll the "Go Woke Go Broke" crowd.

As mentioned before, I also got the Nimbus III vibes. Once transformed, Gorr reminded me of Marilyn Manson. My biggest problem with the movie I guess is that Gorr just didn't really work for me as a compelling villain though I liked his change of heart ending.

I was good with the kids up until they were powered up at the end which I'm a bit torn on. It's a fun segment, I liked the girl with the stuffed animal, but it further defanged and deflated the Gorr confrontation.

Love and Thunder is sort of analogous to Guns and Roses I suppose.

Overall though it was fun and I was entertained and I felt the good outweighed the bad but I'd like to see it again before casting judgment.

One unfortunate thing about my showing was how the speakers weren't working properly and the audio (particularly for the dialogue) sounded flat. I could hear everything just fine but it lacked the dimension of cinematic experience. That said, that flatness actually worked really well in the Shadow Realm where I imagine the audio didn't vary from the rest of the film for everyone else.
That's too bad, I found myself impressed with the sound at the theater I saw it but with covid I haven't watched as many movies in the theater as normal so I may just be easily impressed as I can't boom the sound as much in my apartment.

So. This was a thing. A thing I wish wasn't, but a thing nonetheless.

This is the first Marvel movie I have ever absolutely hated. This was a terrible film in every respect. We left comedy behind and went to full on farce. I felt like I was watching Monty Python. Only insulting instead of fun.

I saw reviewers praising Bale's Gorr. But he reminded me of nothing so much as Arnie's Mr. Freeze from Batman and Robin. Pure, unfiltered camp.

I'm embarrassed to have spent money on this. Wow, what a huge disappointment. Crowe had better win a Razzie or two for that Zeus performance, but otherwise I never want to think about anything in this wasted two hours ever again.

I'd consider this an example of the humor not really working, as I liked the nod to the screaming goat meme but it got tiresome after the goats were first introduced. The closest other example I could think of is the scene in the Pacific Rim sequel where the jaeger group is launching, and one of the young pilots pulls up the Trololo Guy to watch while they're in flight. It's a bit of lightness with a story context (it helps him stay calm) and doesn't detract from the more serious elements. YMMV of course. :)

I thought the goats might get old fast when we first saw them, but the goats screaming transitioned into Sweet Child of Mine as the longboat crashed through Zeus' skylight was one of the best moments in MCU history.

Too much humor, like "Thor: Ragnarok". Someday, Taika Waititi will have to learn how to overcome his misplaced humor, when it comes to narratives. Nor did I care for Jane's fate and especially the hypocritical response to it. Apparently, her fate was okay with the fans, but Queen Frigga's similar fate in "Thor: The Dark World" was heavily criticized.

Too much humor, like "Thor: Ragnarok". Someday, Taika Waititi will have to learn how to overcome his misplaced humor, when it comes to narratives. Nor did I care for Jane's fate and especially the hypocritical response to it. Apparently, her fate was okay with the fans, but Queen Frigga's similar fate in "Thor: The Dark World" was heavily criticized.

Probably because we didn't get to know Frigga terribly well beyond "The Mom" before she died and it was a "Woman in a Fridge" seeing how it was less about her own actions and more about how Thor and Loki took it.

Jane was actually a full-on character and her demise was due to her own choices, Her death was about her and not about motivating Thor to "defeat the villain".

Back