The Walking Dead Season 2 Discussion *Spoilers*

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by PsychoPere, Oct 14, 2011.

1. wissaboo

wissaboo Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

he shot into the air when he was shot so his finger was on the trigger.

2. Vendikarr

Vendikarr Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think these guys just take whatever they can from whoever they find, and then move on. Settling down isn't their thing.

They were so obvious about their intentions they should just hand out business cards that say "We are here to steal your stuff and rape your women."

3. J.T.B.

J.T.B. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

He would be convicted of murder? That's quite a leap, especially considering the others were armed and pretty clearly "making a move" on him. One had just threatened to kill them all and rob them. With two corroborating witness I doubt he'd even be charged with murder much less convicted.

I think Rick's lawman sense kicked in early on those two, and was correct: Their intent was to get to the "pretty sweet" farm and pillage it, and probably worse things. Rick is definitely set up as a different kind of old-school cop; besides the throwback .357, waiting for the bad guys to go for their guns and then beating them in a quick-draw is pretty far removed from modern law enforcement tactics. Very Marshal Dillon, and another contrast with Shane.

I was one who thought the first part of the season was fine, and this episode was pretty good. I liked that it resumed immediately after the barn shooting, not to some later time as a breather after the intensity of that scene.

Justin

4. Capt. Vulcan

Capt. Vulcan Vice Admiral Admiral

During the showdown the head douche seemed to indicate that there were more than just the two of them. Could have been a bluff, but it would explain how these guys made it.

5. Mark_Nguyen

Mark_Nguyen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I went back to the comments about the previous episode before watching this one, and I found a lot of parallels between what we were thinking / speculating back then and what the characters went through in the hours after they found Sophia. There was a lot of sadness for the girl, confusion as to how that happened, and a fair about of shock at the revelation (for those who hadn't been speculating as such for the two episodes prior).

Thing is, we've had a couple months to digest the events and wonder what will happen next. When we pick up here, it's JUST HAPPENED and at most only a few hours have past since Sophia. Most of the characters are in shock from the revelation and/or realization of the futility they'd been going through for the past days (or weeks/months in the case of Herschel and his brood). EVERYONE was handling it differently, and this episode went through that period of adjustment and introspection very well.

As for Rick, maybe for him it DID signify a change in character. He was desperate to appease Herschel and get him to let them stay so they could find Sophia; now he's on edge, and he very quickly kills the first two humans they've met since they got to the farm (even if they were telegraphing their intentions to begin with). Perhaps as Glenn suggested earlier, finding out about Sophia has lifted the big thundercloud of guilt over his head and he's moving onto his next thing, trying to keep Herschel around not for his ego but for Lori and the unborn kid.

Carl's short time here moves his character in the same direction as it goes in the comics. He's had precious little innocence since things began and here he shows how cold he's becoming to the world that was. If they ever get to their next couple destinations as outlined in the comics (and who knows - they may never, given how much this series has diverged from its source material) then Carl will have a lot to NOT worry about when they get there.

Mark

6. Derishton

Derishton Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't if anyone else has recently read volume 15 of the series, but I read it just before watching the new episode tonight. There are some interesting connections: Rick's feelings towards his "cold" son, or his new willingness to talk about "community", both seem to me to be reflected in the show.

7. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

That's still true. :rommie: Also, I don't see why Carl's attitude is a symptom of coldness or even anything to particularly worry about. Maybe it's worrysome that he isn't showing more emotion vis a vis Sophia, but I see it simply as him being an unusually mature and matter of fact 12 year old who is taking his cues from his father. All he said is, "I'd have done what Dad did in that situation." Is that somehow horrific? I'd say that kid has a solid chance of making it to 13, good for him.

I've also realized what it is that's so fascinating about zombie stories, especially ones that focus on a small group roaming around and trying to survive. The human species has been around for what, 200,000 years? In almost all of that time, our ancestors lived in small groups, surviving as best they could while constantly surrounded by dangerous predators. Every so often, the predators would pick someone off or wipe out the whole tribe.

What this group is going through is nothing worse, really, than what humanity has evolved to endure, and has been our lifestyle for the vast majority of our existence. Okay, it's a bit more demoralizing to think that your friends or family might turn into a lion one day and try to eat you, but the kind of stress these people are facing is normal for our species, far more normal than the lives we lead nowadays.

If we didn't have a lot of Shanes and Carls in humanity's family tree, we wouldn't be alive today to be discussing these things. That kind of cold adaptation to survival is essential to the tribe's survival, and is probably built into our species at an instinctual level. We haven't had time to evolve beyond the people who spent every day of their miserable, short lives worrying about what was rustling in the bushes.

I agree, there must be any number of farms around Herschell's place. If the zombies haven't overrun his farm, then there must be others they haven't overrun, either. Just hit a sporting goods store for more crossbows just in case, and go find the least zombified farm.

Start branching out, but keep in touch with Herschell's people. When you run across other survivors, suss them out to make sure they aren't total morons and then induct them into the group - get them crossbows and they can clear out another farm. (If they are total morons, well, Rick showed us how to handle that situation.)

If you can take over adjacent farms, that's the best - you can create a larger defensible space with plans for withdrawing to some ultra-secure central area in case of zombie attack. It drives me a little nuts that nobody is willing to just sit down and talk about their strategy for survival going forward. Now that Herschell has finally gotten his head out of his ass, maybe some progress could be made on that front.

Stop expecting to be saved by going to Nebraska or whatever. They're in an area with good farmland, water, and reasonably clement weather - they aren't going to find a better location for survival. Trying to get away to someplace that's unzombified isn't going to work. Anyplace with a sparse population is also going to have rough terrain and bad weather. I wouldn't want to try to survive a Nebraska winter without an energy grid.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2012
  8. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Yeah, i didn't see it as overly cold; just an awknowledgement of what needed to be done, and not being overly SOFT, I guess. She was his friend, some part of him wants to be the one to take care of her. Kinda Old Yeller, 'he's my dog, i'll do it' sorta thing, no?

Anyway, mostly liked this episode. Aside from the dumb bit with Lori, felt like a decent way forward and less of a stall. Things were finally happening, even if they still are on the farm. Introducing dangerous humans instead of just a horde of zombies was nice, too. Reminder that just because the world's gone to shit, doesn't mean they are the only ones left. And that for all the talk of coldness and morals, most of the groups of survivors are going to be FAR worse than our group. Zombies aren't the only ones preying on the weak to survive...

9. Caliburn24

Caliburn24 Commodore Commodore

For all the various stupid character moments, I liked the episode because finally FINALLY Rick is waking up and becoming the sort of lead character the show needs.

And that moment was not when Rick channeled his inner Raylen Givens. It was a few minutes before when he was arguing with Herschel in the bar. When he realized that life goes on. Nothing has changed, death is still death, life is still life.

Making Rick a more sympathetic and pro-active character is going to do wonders towards improving the show.

10. Temis the Vorta

It could also be that the boy who plays Carl has a way of projecting calm maturity beyond his years. He seems more sensible than Lori, whose problem (as others have said) is probably that the actress exudes a certain unlikability. I noticed that on Prison Break, where she definitely was not supposed to be playing a character that is the least bit unlikable.

I liked that. When you really think about their situation, it's not all that completely unusual for the human species, to be surrounded by hungry predators and constantly in fear for their lives. The civilization that they had, which kept such things at bay, is now gone, and they've been returned to humanity's natural state.

Even the risk of the whole human species becoming extinct is natural - species are becoming extinct all around us right now - so why shouldn't they be able to cope with their situation? Their ancestors did just that for hundreds of millions of years.
    As long as the gang continues to struggle with morality, they're not beyond the pale. Shane yelling at Dale for instance - if he wasn't feeling guilty, he wouldn't bother to yell at the guy for making him feel even more guilty. My hunch is that most people wouldn't struggle with morality for very long, and that this group, even Shane, is being portrayed as unrealistically moralistic, just because that provides some nice dramatic tension.

11. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

That scene in the bar was well done. The sense of menace was really palpable. Truly self-defense as well, the one went for the gun on the bar and fatso never had put his gun away only turned it aside.

12. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

At first I thought, "Cool! New character interaction with the rest of the group!" But when Dave started talking about "the things we've had to do", I caught on. The way it went down didn't surprise me a bit after that.

These guys have already been where Shane is going.

13. Temis the Vorta

You're assuming they had a sense of decency to lose. We don't know anything about their past, maybe they didn't have far to fall.

14. scnj

scnj Captain Captain

Let's face it, Rick probably isn't far behind by this point either.

15. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

I didn't mean they regressed down the same path as Shane. True, they may have been like that already-- but he's on his way. When it started going bad, I realized, "These guys are Shane in a season or two!" Rick should take a warning from that.

As for Rick, well, anything can happen, but they haven't shown him so overtly going the same road.

16. Temis the Vorta

Anybody have a link to the previews for next week? I couldn't stomach slogging through that comic book show just to see it...

17. Temis the Vorta

The ratings sure don't reflect all the bellyaching about this season's direction. More records fall to the zombie apocalypse.

Which is good. I don't get the bellyaching either. :D

Hey AMC, are you sorry you treated Frank Darabont like shit yet? :mad:

18. Xerxus

Xerxus Commander Red Shirt

Apparently The Walking Dead didn't need the extra budget to deliver a compelling product, so I doubt they'd feel sorry.:p

19. Temis the Vorta

I guess I'm old-fashioned enough to expect the suits to treat the people who make money for them decently. :p

Darabont should be allowed to spend a healthy chunk of the money he makes, and AMC's shows should get budgets commensurate with their ratings, not commensurate with the whims of the suits. Let the viewers decide who gets what! (This also incentivizes other showrunners to maximize their ratings - isn't that the name of the game?)

I want this show to have a large enough budget to have zombie dinosaurs someday. Now there's something we haven't seen....

20. marillion

marillion Vice Admiral Admiral

Ok.. so great episode... Good action and the character development continues.. A couple of thoughts...

1. A lot of people remark about how they should just find an adjacent farm and settle in.. But while there's been noise from some in the group about staying on, despite Herschel's resistance, there is still an overwhelming sense to find the last remnants of civilization... The group wants to stay, but they want to move on as well... Thus the references to Ft. Benning and points west (Nebraska)...

2. Even though the show has gone a year and a half for us, for the characters, it's still just a couple of months since Rick's return after all hell broke loose and society fell apart... So while we've had time to adjust and comment on why characters are reacting (or not reacting) in certain ways, I think we forget that these folks are still trying to figure out which way is up (or down)...