Spoilers The Strange New Worlds Starship Thread™

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Strange New Worlds' started by Tuskin38, Mar 29, 2022.

1. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I didn't say otherwise.

And cut the snark.

2. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

...sigh...

3. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

Back in the day, "Operations" was the umbrella term some people used for the engineering, security, and services divisions in TOS. Yeah, it really wasn't until TNG that it became a bridge position. The funny thing is that the Ops officers we saw in TNG and VOY--Data and Harry Kim--acted a lot like science officers as they were frequently reporting and analyzing anything weird the sensors were picking up. Go fig.

4. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

[​IMG]

Commander Troi, BillJ and GNDN18 like this.
  5. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

They routinely call Ortegas the "pilot," and Pike has referred to the seat to her right as Ops - in the episode "Strange New Worlds," he says "Ops. How we doing, Lieutenant?" and the officer seated at what we usually think of as the navigator's position responds "Lights are green across the board."

6. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

In TOS, I thought red was support services.

7. Nerys Myk

It's not TOS, yet.
    Gary and Lee wore Sand/Coral in the pilots.
    Owo and Detmer wore the equivalent copper in DISCO: 23rd Century.

8. blssdwlf

blssdwlf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In "The Cage" and "WNMHGB" were the helmsman and navigator positions reversed? It seemed that Gary Mitchell and Tyler's side were controlling the helm.

9. Nerys Myk

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

blssdwlf likes this.
  10. GNDN18

GNDN18 270 Rear Admiral

I’m not sure about “The Cage”, but Tyler is in charge of setting the time warp factor as well as plotting the course. With Number One being the First Officer, her station might have been for executive officer functions. Quite seriously, it’s unclear to me what her bridge duties were.

Since Paul Carr is listed as “Navigator” in the unaired WNMHGB credits and Kirk yells “Helmsman!” immediately after Mitchell is struck by the strange energies, I think I’m on firmer ground saying that starboard station was the helm.*

Production TOS obviously dedicated that seat to the navigator.

* ToolPackinMama from the old Usenet groups took exception to the inferences I’ve drawn, so govern your reliance on my arguments accordingly.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2022
    CorporalCaptain and blssdwlf like this.
  11. Serveaux

12. McCoy's Disco Collar

McCoy's Disco Collar Commander Red Shirt

That was because Roddenberry was trying to avoid comparisons to TOS when he created TNG, so he shuffled and re-shuffled all the positions. Suddenly previously-unmentioned roles (Security Chief, Ops, Second Officer) became main characters, while formerly-important ones were discarded and their narrative function passed off to somebody else (Science, Communications, Chief Engineer). Gene didn't even want to have Vulcans on the ship, he was so eager to break new ground.

13. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I have to admit that the echoes of the NX-01 in terms of where the senior staff quarters are worry me. It looks great on screen, yes, and from a safety standpoint...brrrr.

Donald G likes this.
  14. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Some wireframes used on various displays in the show
    https://twitter.com/timothypeel1/status/1549452000206770176

The forward lounge windows are smaller and spaced differently than they are in the space shots, the same size as the rest of the saucer windows, so I wonder if that was a post-filming decision to make them bigger. Or they were given a WIP model.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 20, 2022
    DEWLine and blssdwlf like this.
  15. Serveaux

The design changes subtly and is inconsistent. Certainly there are several models, probably some of them partial. Features can be added or changed as needed. When the ship is in motion in a scene, for example, you're not looking at a mesh built and textured at the level of detail of the "hull-scraper" shots featured in the opening credits.

16. DaveyNY

DaveyNY Admiral Admiral

DaveyNY from Skin-Neck-Ta-Dee (Schenectady)
    One would assume that all Senior Officers would be at their assigned stations rather than in their quarters during any kind of battle or emergency situation.

Perhaps that is why the ancillary staff are given quarters deeper/lower into the hull.:shrug:

17. KamenRiderBlade

KamenRiderBlade Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

During the 32nd century, with personal Transporters, there's no reason you should be late to the bridge.
    But in the 22nd century, you have excuses for why you're late to the bridge since you have to get on the TurboLift.

18. Agony_Boothb

Agony_Boothb Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

People still have to take a shit in the 32nd century, so yes they can still be late to the bridge.

19. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

Nah, they just have it spot-beamed out of them.

20. marillion

marillion Vice Admiral Admiral

Whoa... So THAT's why we never see toilets on Star Trek! *mind blown* :wtf: