Spoilers The Strange New Worlds Starship Thread™

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Strange New Worlds' started by Tuskin38, Mar 29, 2022.

1. ExtremeSail

ExtremeSail Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Kelvin Enterprise exterior with SNW Enterprise interior would be elite, I tell you. ELITE.

Markonian and Rahul like this.
  2. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

3. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

4. Tuskin38

there's a glass painting of the NX-01 in Pike's ready room, and a glass model of the Enterprise
    https://twitter.com/gaghyogi49/status/1525206999222190080
    https://twitter.com/_Pundus_/status/1525425029173116928

There's also another ship that can't be identified and one of the artists is teasing.
    https://twitter.com/gaghyogi49/status/1525554466497478661

I was looking at that first promo image of the Enterprise we got, and I think the sensor dome on the bottom of the saucer has an anteanne or something coming off it?
    [​IMG]

The The Enterprise in TOS did have something like that on it
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 16, 2022
  5. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

The saucer shape resembles the Kelvinverse 1701-A

Markonian and saddestmoon like this.
  6. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Not that much. It's a slightly compressed version of the TOS/TMP saucer. If it takes any inspiration from later Trek, it's from the Enterprise-D's closer blending of the "bubbles" on top of the saucer with the main hull.

upload_2022-5-16_17-25-2.png

Last edited: May 16, 2022
    publiusr, Markonian and GNDN18 like this.
  7. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Talking about the Archer, not the Enterprise.

saddestmoon and Ronald Held like this.
  8. mattman8907

mattman8907 Commodore Commodore

Makes me wish thats how the Defiant bridge should've looked in Enterprise's mirror universe.

Jesse1066 likes this.
  9. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Did the "Ghosts of Ilyria" version of Deck 14 seem oversized to anyone else?

Awaiting the inboard profile/MSD cross-section art with no small degree of interest.

(Also still wondering about those secondary hull airlocks implied by the docking with Discovery 1031 in "Such Sweet Sorrow"...)

10. Professor Moriarty

Professor Moriarty Rice Admiral Premium Member

Sigh.

I am absolutely delighted with everything about SNW except the Enterprise. The sets are definitely spiffy, but the TARDIS sizing of the interiors is driving me batty. Hemmer's engineering section looks like it would completely fill the secondary hull, leaving no room for the hangar deck (which I'm sure will also be cavernous whenever they get around to showing it).

But what really bothers me is the Enterprise exterior. It just looks... bad. I am not a fan of the redesign, but what I can't forgive is the poor quality of the CGI--the E is (to my eye) utterly unconvincing. I don't like the Kelvin universe Enterprise either, but the movies had excellent, photorealistic CGI. Ugly ship, but convincing. SNW has a meh ship, and it's a faaaaaaake. :(

Judging from the comments in this thread I sense I'm in the overwhelming minority, and that's fine. I still eagerly wake up on Thursday mornings and watch SNW with my Wheaties, and I am tickled pink by the quality of the writing, direction, and acting. I just wanted to get the previous two paragraphs off my chest, and that's that.

Last edited: May 20, 2022
  11. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

The saucer reminds me a little bit of the Franklin (a prime ship). Didn't the Franklin have orange bussards?

The nacelle is shaped more like a DiscoPrise nacelle, but even the Disco had blue nacelle "caps".

12. Tuskin38

I don't think so at all. Remember this enterprise is 442 meters long.

Noah_23, Markonian and HotRod like this.
  13. DaveyNY

DaveyNY Admiral Admiral

DaveyNY from Skin-Neck-Ta-Dee (Schenectady)
    This song pretty much summarizes my feelings about this Enterprise ...

(I just wish They would occasionally light her brighter from the outside like it was done on TOS, I know it isn't realistic, but the nostalgia in me misses it) :sigh:

Last edited: May 20, 2022
    Jadeb, kirk55555 and ATimson like this.
  14. Kaelef

Kaelef Captain Captain

I don't love the redesign, either, but I really don't get the "bad CGI" responses. The CGI looks just fine - it's just going for a different style.

Generally, the new E looks too busy to me - particularly the nacelles. The extremely "tiled"/"Aztec-ed" surface is really annoying. IMO, that design feature has never looked better than it did in TMP.

There are redesigns by folks here in our very own "Fan Art" forum that I like much better and think would've worked beautifully in the show.

That said, I don't outright hate the SNW version. It just seems like a mediocre fan re-imagining to me.

NCC-73515 and Ray Hardgrit like this.
  15. mdtauk

mdtauk Captain Captain

The CGI, whilst not of the same quality as the JJ movies - is still better than what was done on Enterprise :D

16. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, the squashing is the worst new feature.

I'm OK with the idea of the more extensive impulse rockets.

I'm not thrilled with the hangar deck, but I guess the ship can have plank?

17. Tomalak

Tomalak Vice Admiral Admiral

I probably agree the compressed proportions are probably the element I like least. It makes the ship look more muscular and sturdy, but also less graceful.

But that's pretty minor criticisms, I generally think it's a great redesign and I prefer it to the Kelvin on the whole. Although the Kelvin ship definitely got the graceful looks, it was much more of a departure from the original design.

18. Tuskin38

Though on the flip side, not that much from the refit. The saucer was clearly inspired by the refit.

Tomalak likes this.
  19. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

It's been almost 20 years since ENT. The CGI better be better, even if it's not movie quality.

Commander Troi, publiusr, Sci and 4 others like this.
  20. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

I always thought that ENT did a damn fine job with the TOS Defiant. Even on the HD BRD's it looked great. It always demonstrated to me that Jefferies' original design could still have a place in a contemporary production with minimal tweaking.

publiusr, Saul, dupersuper and 10 others like this.