THE ORVILLE Season Two...

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Serveaux, Jul 22, 2018.

1. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Premium Member

I think the Fox Upfront is Monday so I expect more at that time. It takes a long time to do a show like this so that was why I said it might not come back until the Spring next year.

KennyB and BillJ like this.
  2. Finn

Finn Admiral Admiral

[​IMG]

element7ero likes this.
  3. ISS-Magnum

ISS-Magnum Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Praise Kelly!
    For the glory of Avis!

element7ero likes this.
  4. King Daniel Beyond

King Daniel Beyond Fleet Admiral Admiral

I recall that. And then when the first trailer for The Orville hit, I recall thinking it was nice he didn't let a little thing like CBS saying "no" deter him from making a Star Trek series:lol:

5. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

We live in a world where Firefly got one season but Seth Macfarlane's vanity project is now getting a third season on the same Network. Either Seth's blackmail collection is one of the most extensive in Hollywood, or we truly are in the darkest timeline. Actually, now that I think about it, both of those things are probably true, plus FOX seems to prefer airing shit to airing actually good shows anyway, so keeping Orville around is definitely on brand for them. At this rate, Orville will probably run longer then any of the Trek shows just because FOX gives literally no shits at this point.

6. Serveaux

Serveaux The Man Premium Member

Always seeking new and better distractions
    You're wrong. The Orville is a great show. :)

7. Finn

Finn Admiral Admiral

I watched Firefly many years after its run, on netflix probably. It didn't really grow on me.

8. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

Other than that, how was the show?

9. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm so glad we getting a third season of Orville this is awesome news!:beer::biggrin::luvlove::whistle:

10. Spot's Meow

Spot's Meow Vice Admiral Premium Member

Agreed, I really could not see what all the fuss was about.

Orville, on the other hand, I am really enjoying. I thought the beginning of season 2 was a bit slow, but then ended on a strong note. I just love that this show is like Trek that doesn't take itself too seriously. I thought it was hilarious when a crew member was in Ed's office and asked him about potential paradoxes in time travel and instead of a serious consideration of the consequences as we'd likely get in Trek, we got "You guys will not get me into a discussion of time travel logic; I'd rather chew broken glass." :lol:

element7ero likes this.
  11. OCD Geek

OCD Geek Captain Captain

I love me my Firefly and really wish we got more, but...

1) We received a belated series finale at a time when, OG Star Trek and Farscape aside, that was not the norm. (Plus there's Frostfyre7's acclaimed and beloved 2007 fan fic Firefly: A Life Less Extraordinary aka Doctor Who: The Man with No Name, which provides even further closure.)

2) The show was thankfully cancelled before the planned "Reavers attack the ship and Inara saves everyone through gang-rape poisoning" episode was filmed. I mean, holy fucking shit! That's what Inara's mysterious vial in the pilot episode was setting up?! We dodged a bullet there.

3) We live in a time where the hopeful messages of Star Trek and Doctor Who are more important than ever. The more like minded TV shows and movies the better.

4) Also, honestly the cancellations and/or mishandlings (i.e. episodes run out of order) of Firefly, Freaks and Geeks, Wonderfalls, etc. served a purpose. They led to NBC and Fox being way more cautious about which cult shows they cancel and how they do it, knowing they can make more money off of them via DVDs, syndication and streaming if there's a decent amount of episodes and closure.

Without them there's no way in hell Hannibal would have lasted three seasons on broadcast television. Or Friday Night Lights, Parenthood and Fringe would have lasted as long as they did, let alone received 13 episode wrap-up season orders instead of cancellations. Or that Community would have seen Dan Harmon unfired and the show brought back for further seasons. Hell, NBC and Fox's latter era comedy line up was a who's who of acclaimed cult comedies with low ratings. Firefly and its brethren paid the price so future TV shows could prosper.

Jayson1, Astra and Kitty Worrier like this.
  12. Kai "the spy"

Kai "the spy" Vice Admiral Admiral

Also, there are still new Firefly comics being released.

It's fine to feel passionate about a series. That's what being fans is all about, we all here are like that. But what we shouldn't do is play one fandom against another. Be passionate, but don't knock others for being passionate about something else.

Besides, the things these two shows have in common is being space adventure shows with a sense of humor aired on FOX. That's it, otherwise they are two completely different shows, telling very different kind of stories about very different characters set in very different universes.No point in comparing one to the other at all.

Astra and Kitty Worrier like this.
  13. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

There are also Firefly novels now too. There are two so far, with a third due out in October.

14. Cyrus

Cyrus Vice Admiral Admiral

I like Orville more than Firefly

BillJ and Serveaux like this.
  15. BillJ

BillJ History’s Greatest Monster Premium Member

Lucky for you, Discovery has been given the go-ahead for a season three.

16. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Neither is true.

Turtletrekker and BillJ like this.
  17. Marc

Marc Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think whedon has some series issues there - apparently he'd proposed a similar plot for a Buffy episode.

18. Astra

Astra Captain Captain

This interview was posted here first on April 25: https://awardschatter.simplecast.fm...TuRTNHAig4EnG8D-WTpmwnRTp1HW4CQav_owD2srQez4U

But I absolutely agree, it is a wonderful interview, I have listened to it three times already. The interviewer is well prepared and asks good questions, and most important he lets his guest tell his stories without interrupting.

And we probably all knew this already but it shows again how honest and humble and thoughtful and laid back Seth is. How anyone could think he is an asshole is beyond me. Always praising everyone else. I loved especially what he had to say about Hollywood, how he takes everything with a grain of salt.

It's a great look back onto his career and how it all started. I want to highly recommend listening to this interview! 50 Minutes well spent.

19. Serveaux

Serveaux The Man Premium Member

Always seeking new and better distractions
    People dislike Seth because he's too successful too young, doesn't suffer for it, and they don't love his sense of humor. He's told some jokes that lots of folks find unfunny.

20. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've done that!

BillJ and Serveaux like this.