THE ORVILLE Season Two...

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Serveaux, Jul 22, 2018.

1. Astra

Astra Captain Captain

When I heard that the Orville was done by the Family Guy guy, originally I didn't want to watch it. I definitely have problems with some of the jokes too. Then again he's not (anymore) writing ALL of them, plus I am able to differentiate between a show and the person. Some people seem to think that he is an awful person, and that could not be further from the truth. I think in public he often plays a role, as people kinda expect it now, but in this interview it was just him and the other guy, so no need for a facade. And that's why I like it so much.
    Everyone, listen to it!

2. Serveaux

Serveaux The Wind Premium Member

There's not much I've seen of MacFarlane that I don't like. I was just listening to his new album on Spotify last evening.

3. Kelso

Kelso Vice Admiral Admiral

On the destruct button until the last minute!

I enjoy his albums.

It impresses me that he has used what clout he has attained in the industry to pursue his passion projects rather than chasing popular trends.

Serveaux and BillJ like this.
  4. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Vice Admiral Admiral

So the team behind the shut down Stage 9 Star Trek project are back with the Orville

5. Noname Given

Noname Given Admiral Admiral

I hope they spoke with FOX as if you guys think CBS/Paramount fires off C&Ds off at the drop of a hat...

6. Serveaux

Serveaux The Wind Premium Member

Cool. :)

And pretty ambitious.

7. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Vice Admiral Admiral

They've said that they had discussions with Fuzzy Door.

8. Noname Given

Noname Given Admiral Admiral

Cool.

9. Astra

Astra Captain Captain

I made this list over at Reddit but thought you might like to discuss it too.

I remember this discussion back from my Stargate SG-1 times, how sometimes the German episode titles would change the meaning, or even give away important plot spoilers. Until recently it never occured to me to check out the Orville titles in comparison.

Here's a list, some of these are worth discussing I think.

Original title / German title / attempt of translation (my thoughts)

Old Wounds / Alte Wunden / Old Wounds (perfect)

Command Performance / Sondervorstellung / Special Performance (not sure, sounds more like a theatre term of a special performance. I miss the word command)

About a Girl / Planet der Männer
    / Planet of the men (a good example of how it changes the whole perception. Don't like it at all)

If the Stars should appear / Verschollen im Weltraum / Lost in space (bit overdramatic)

Pria / Pria / Pria

Krill / Krill / Krill

Majority Rule / Mehrheitsprinzip / Principle of Majority rule (good)

Into the Fold / Falte im Weltraum / Fold in space (so that's two titles with "in space". A bit unimaginative)

Cupid's Dagger / Amors Dolch / Cupid's Dagger (I love when they do literal translations. Best to stick to that)

Firestorm / Feuerstorm / Firestorm (It's really not that hard, isn't it?)

New Dimensions / Flachgelegt / To be bedded (a wordplay with the word flach / flat - do they know something about the Ed/Kelly scenes we don't? I guess these titles were made back when it was still thought of as a comedy. It does not fit the more serious tone at all)

Mad Idolatry / Gotteskult / Godworship (I guess that's a good one)

Season 2 hasn't aired yet so there are no episode titles yet

Cyrus and Serveaux like this.
  10. Cyrus

Cyrus Vice Admiral Admiral

Thanks for posting this. It’s always interesting to read these foreign language titles. A few years ago I posted the Japanese titles for Star Trek TOS episodes, and some of them were hilariously bad.