THE ORVILLE: S1, E7: "MAJORITY RULE"

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Serveaux, Oct 20, 2017.

?

Rate the episode:

1. ***** Excellent

41 vote(s)
    39.4%
  2. ****

39 vote(s)
    37.5%
  3. ***

15 vote(s)
    14.4%
  4. **

5 vote(s)
    4.8%
  5. * Fear the banana

4 vote(s)
    3.8%
  1. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Tilly is fingernails-on-blackboard annoying. :rommie: Everybody else is just bland or unpleasant-- although the new, groovy Stamets was kind of a hoot (not enough to prevent me from cancelling my subscription, though).

2. theenglish

theenglish Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Elara and Ed is just a creepy dynamic. She may be strong but he is the Captain and much older. The days of the Captain and the Ensign are long behind us, unless the show wanted to do a TOS throwback thing.

3. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Admiral Admiral

I like Stamets, even in the earlier episodes when he was acting like a jerk before the spores mellowed him out. It has more to do with the actor than the writing, there's just something indescribable about his performance that actually makes him feel like a real person. His relationship with Dr. Culber is probably one of the better romances I've seen depicted on Star Trek.

Kitty Worrier likes this.
  4. tomalak301

tomalak301 Admiral Premium Member

I wish we saw more of that relationship. I think we’ve only gotten two scenes worth.

The Wormhole likes this.
  5. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Sorry it took me so long to respond, I lost track of the thread.
    I've seen a fair amount of stuff about NK, including watching Lisa Ling's special and reading her book, and a couple other documentaries, and everything I've seen about the place is fucking terrifying. The whole culture has been so completely taken over by the regime that there's really nothing there to even find interesting culturally or historically. At least not interesting enough that I'd risk death and/or potentially a lifetime of imprisonment and torture to see.

6. BillJ

BillJ Fleet Admiral Admiral

That speaks to the acting talents of Anthony Rapp. Someone I had never heard of prior to Discovery.

The Wormhole likes this.
  7. shivkala

shivkala Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Unless the creators explicitly state it, I'm not buying the "it's just a joking reference to Star Trek" excuse. It's too pat and convenient.

At least past season 1, Stargate SG-1 did it with a wink and a nod to Star Trek, even specifically name-checking Trek from time to time. That's one of the reasons I loved it, they embraced that they weren't the first to do these plots and either called themselves out on it or had interesting twists on it. For instance, "Window of Opportunity" embraced the humor in being able to repeat time over and over again (something I think "Magic to Make the Sanest Man Go Mad" played with a little) and, to my knowledge, it was the first time-loop episode to go that route, instead of a "by-the-numbers" pastiche of "Cause and Effect."

There's only so far nostalgia can take you.

I was pretty much bored by "In the Fold," it offered nothing new (see my comments above for how shows like Stargate did that). But, I'm not ready to give up on The Orville quite yet. It could become something great if it gets over its "See, we're just like Trek!" phase. However, I am already done with the fanbase of the show. It seems as if the fans keep going to the "It's better than Discovery" or the slightly-veiled, "The Orville is the spiritual successor to Trek" comments. If you're show can't stand by itself without the constant comparisons to another show, it really isn't that strong to begin with. Yes, I know those of us who haven't sipped The McFarlane-aid bring it up, too. It really would benefit everyone if the show could stand by itself. Sadly, I don't believe it can and am hoping to be proven wrong.

Dimesdan likes this.
  8. BillJ

I believe that The Orville is more of a spiritual successor to the original Star Trek than Discovery is. There is a feeling of embracing the adventure that is sorely lacking in Discovery.

Satron and The Wormhole like this.
  9. shivkala

shivkala Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That's fine, but it's repeated so often, it seems that all The Orville has to offer is a feeling that Discovery isn't giving people. I still doubt that will last long. I, personally, wait with bated breath for each Sunday and get around to The Orville when I can.

10. Serveaux

Serveaux The Wind Premium Member

Yep. Aside from callbacks, Discovery doesn't have much in common with the original Star Trek.

I dropped Discovery after last weekend's. CBS finally asked for money.

Rapp really is something. I thought he and Isaacs were the best performers on Discovery.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2017
  11. imdbrefugee

imdbrefugee Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Riley? Is that a BtVS reference? I could hug you.

Now I remembered BtVS S6 and S7 and cannot stop vomiting

12. Serveaux

BTVS was brilliant from start to finish. Closest thing to a perfect genre show there's been.

13. Ghislaine H. B. BRAEME

Ghislaine H. B. BRAEME Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Just read the news about The Orville and its awaited renewa (well, I hoped)l. Really glad because even if the show doesn't deserve the favors of TVLine's Michael Auisello and his acolytes, this does not diminish its quality, which is better and better (and WOW for the guest-stars!).

For my part, I still prefer The Orville to Discovery. The stories adressed leave us thinking for a while, without forgetting the funny side of certain people and/or situations.

My only frustration is the fact that the french version of episodes 5-6-7-8 are still missing on the concerned downloading websites and I must be content of the original version. By contrast,, there is no problem to find the missing episodes in german, spanish, italian (among others languages) versions. :-(

Serveaux likes this.
  14. Nakita Akita

Nakita Akita Captain Captain

Can you explain further why it's a creepy dynamic?
    I'm not trying to be a jerk but just for clarification.

Personally, I think she's to good for him.
    I think by the time she's his age she'd be an admiral at the minimum. Plus she is cute and he is 'meh'. But more so because he seems like he isn't the brightest crayon in the box. I think they should have had his ex be the captain and him be the first officer.
    TNG Riker, never up to snuff. Lol.

15. tomalak301

tomalak301 Admiral Premium Member

I’m so bummed I missed Buffy when it was on. I keep hearing good things.

I really liked Discovery last night but I feel like the cast on Orville is who I want to hang out with more. I can understand why these comparisons are getting annoying though.

Serveaux likes this.
  16. theenglish

theenglish Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Aside from the age difference, she obviously has a school girl crush on her commanding officer. The power dynamic and the emotional dynamic are exactly the structure of a RW grooming scenario. I'm not saying you can't have legitimate relationships in such circumstances but they rarely end well at best and can have serious psychological trauma at worst.

Nakita Akita likes this.
  17. Serveaux

I think she stole the idea.

large[2].jpg

BillJ, PhotoBoy and The Nth Doctor like this.
  18. WarpFactorZ

WarpFactorZ Commodore Commodore

Just tuned in. Seems to be very similar to an episode of Black Mirror. Entertaining anyway.

19. slappy

slappy Commodore Commodore

Every single episode. Show is amazing. Best since DS9 in my opinion.

I mean, we already know the consequences of the two major storylines (such as they are): the 'Shroom drive and the War Against Halloween both come to nothing. Bupkis.[/QUOTE]

Are you a time traveller? Or do you have some sort of in with the producers or something? How do you know this?

20. BillJ

If it is the Prime universe, then they can't be anything important. The spore drive will have a defect preventing it from being used, the Klingon war at best ends in a stalemate. Just like nothing important can happen to Sarek or Mudd.

By trying to cram it into the Prime timeline, they sucked all the possible drama out of the story before they ever started. They could've balanced that by creating characters that I cared about, but there is really very little there to care about.

Trekker4747 likes this.