THE ORVILLE: S1, E7: "MAJORITY RULE"

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Serveaux, Oct 20, 2017.

?

Rate the episode:

1. ***** Excellent

41 vote(s)
    39.4%
  2. ****

39 vote(s)
    37.5%
  3. ***

15 vote(s)
    14.4%
  4. **

5 vote(s)
    4.8%
  5. * Fear the banana

4 vote(s)
    3.8%
  1. WarpFactorZ

WarpFactorZ Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The premise of Discovery is very similar to that of Rogue One: i.e. a prequel tale involving new characters who have an (in)direct connection to the future Enterprise crew. Their mission is critical and will contribute in some special way to Klingon/Federation relations, and hence the backbone of TOS. Most of the DISC characters will likely die over the course of the series, explaining their absence from the 2260s-2290s Trekverse we've seen.

Tech-wise, they've already made it quite clear the Spore Drive ain't gonna work without some significant ethics violation (harming / killing sentient living beings to use it).

I'm enjoying the ride exactly the same as I enjoyed Rogue One.

2. BillJ

BillJ Fleet Admiral Admiral

Sittin' on the dock of the bay. Wastin' time...
    I wasn't a big fan of Rogue One. My wife was though, but she's a bigger Star Wars fan than I am.

3. Serveaux

Serveaux The Wind Premium Member

Yes, given that we know that nothing here makes any difference to stories that we've already seen, the point of a story like this is in engagement with the characters and the adventures that they're having. If we care about Ensign X and enjoy watching what the writers put her through there's no reason that a prequel series can't be as entertaining as a story set on a battlefield during World War II - we know how the war turned out, but not how this turns out for her.

It is in these respects that Discovery utterly fails.

4. slappy

slappy Commodore Commodore

First of all, it's about the characters, not what time they exist in. Second of all, you have no idea how any of this is going to turn out. You still don't know if this is the actual Prime Universe or a third tangent universe or the mirror version of the Abrams universe. That's what happens when you assume instead of letting the story play out. Something important has already happened to Sarek. A pretty major regretful decision that affected the rest of his life took place. You're just focused on whether or not he's alive or dead.

I'm not at all convinced this is in the Prime Timeline or any we've seen before. I think there are many surprises left to be revealed.

I find all the characters quite compelling. If you don't dig Michael for some reason, you have Saru. If for whatever reason you find to hate Saru, you have the adorable Tilly. If you somehow for God's sake hate Tilly, there's Stamets who's the breakout star IMO, the complex Lorca, and whoever the hell Ash Tyler really is.

5. BillJ

The writers, producers and CBS all say it is in the Prime timeline. Be careful, you'll get a lashing from some folks for daring to speak such thoughts.

6. Photoman15

Photoman15 Commodore Commodore

"The Orville" thread, not Discovery

7. BillJ

Okay? You sometimes see crossover between threads and forums during discussions.

Serveaux likes this.
  8. slappy

slappy Commodore Commodore

Yes, but the Prime Timeline....but perhaps not the Prime Universe. Or vice versa. Words are important and whatnot:)

9. Prax

Prax Commodore Commodore

I really liked this episode. I'd like to see more episodes like this(In any show) that can use Art, not to criticize the power structure, or ideological enemies, but ourselves, and our own societal tendencies.

Social Media gives people a sense of power, and having the power to destroy someone is seductive. And the herd mentality that's always existed in every society is overwhelming, compelling, and instinctive.

It's like when someone is getting beat up by a few people, and a bunch of other people see, and join in, and those who feel empathy look the other way. They don't want to join the one getting destroyed. This kinda thing happens every day in the world.

Can YOU think of any real life Lamarrs, who were judged harshly, convicted in the kangaroo court of public opinion, and swiftly destroyed? And all before a disclosure of evidence, or a fair trial in court. And if someone did err, or the public thinks they did, no apology will earn them sympathy, or appease those who are joyously destroying them.

Can you think of any Lamarrs who's guilt in a matter became commonly accepted wisdom?

(By "you," I mean in the personal plural pronoun sense)

Trekker4747 likes this.
  10. theenglish

theenglish Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Guess I have to go visit the Discover threads to find out how the Klingon's are using Romulan cloaking technology in front of the Federation without this information being passed to Kirk and Spock.

11. imdbrefugee

imdbrefugee Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

12. BillJ

The aborted Schiano hire? Yeah, but I wonder if the public outcry mattered or if it was more of the boosters not liking the hire and the AD is using the outcry to cover it up?

13. Serveaux

14. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I have to admit, I was a bit surprised when JK Rowling and David Yates actually didn't give in and fire Johnny Depp. From what I've read it sounds like there's some question how legit the accusations against him are, so I'm a actually glad they didn't.

15. Serveaux

It's two people in an angry divorce. Believe nothing.

16. Serveaux

These people are pushing their podcast, which is always an idea that sucks. That said, the quotes in the article are interesting. Melinda Snodgrass, who worked on TNG:

Link

This was, indeed one of the stupid and creepy notions that Roddenberry had which apparently made him a "futurist and visionary."

17. Photoman15

Photoman15 Commodore Commodore

Wasn't he friends with L.Ron Hubbard?

18. Serveaux

Not really.

19. Prax

Prax Commodore Commodore

That's super terrifying, and makes my mind wander to "What dark secrets hide beneath the mid 24th century utopia?" I would say they found a better balance of Gene's "vision" and a practical, moral society as Gene became less of a micromanager.

Phoenix219 likes this.
  20. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

What exactly did he mean by "make your mind right"? Actually going in and screwing around with someone's head, or just therapy?

Phoenix219 likes this.