Spoilers The Orville: New Horizons Season 3 Discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by tomalak301, Jun 2, 2022.

1. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

You are correct. And it works much better. :)

Turtletrekker likes this.
  2. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

If Star Trek existed in The Orville, they'd solve every episode by going back and seeing what Kirk or Picard did in the current situation.

Qonundrum likes this.
  3. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

I think the conversation is whether or not Star Trek exists as a television show in the past.

Tuskin38 likes this.
  4. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

It would have been funny if Gordon went back to the 1960s instead of the 21st century and made money writing all his experiences into a Sci-fi TV show called Star Trek under the pseudonym Gene Roddenberry!

5. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

That's what I meant, they'd watch old episodes to solve whatever issue they were facing.

6. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Interestingly, as of this post, only nine episodes of season 3 are on Disney plus.

I don't actually know when I'll find time to actually rewatch season 3, but in order to help the renewal effort, I started playing the first episode, put the TV on mute and went to bed. I'll just let it play all night.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2022
  7. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

I was waiting til the season ended before watching any of it. Just finished it, enjoyed it immensely. This was exactly the show I always wanted it to be. Not afraid to be funny, but not trying so damn hard all the time to be. Character comedy and light-hearted moments. Classic moral dilemmas. Heart-breaking character drama. Two thumbs up, fingers crossed for more.

8. eschaton

eschaton Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I mean, we all know the real reason why Star Trek doesn't exist in the Orville universe is because it's a Paramount property, and The Orville is a Disney show.

There's a limit to how far these 'shared universes" can go.

Commander Troi likes this.
  9. Bornin1980something

Bornin1980something Captain Captain

Except that the network rejected nearly all his character pitches as unacceptable or implausible, especially in the case of the females.

10. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

You sly boot you.

Vince A and Turtletrekker like this.
  11. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Turtletrekker likes this.
  12. 1987SpaceGuy

1987SpaceGuy Captain Captain

13. firehawk12

firehawk12 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Rewatching the series, I forgot about the episode with the society that kills everyone born in a certain month and the solution was to create a fake star and they handwave away the prime directive issue with a 'who knows' discussion at the end.
    It's weird though, because they make first contact based on first communication vs having FTL travel, which is the only reason the story in this episode could have happened in the first place.

Qonundrum likes this.
  14. dupersuper

dupersuper Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

15. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

It wasn't up in the first place for Americans apprently.

The tweet was Seth saying it should be fixed by Friday.

16. dupersuper

dupersuper Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Who are these people?

17. Commander Troi

Commander Troi Geek Grrl Premium Member

I think replicators would change things more than warp drive, so I really liked that.

As to your point on plausibility, what (admittedly little) I know about some Native Peoples indicates that social pressure like that has and does work. Pre-colonization, there was no money and reputation was one's "currency" in many societies.

I hate the way that making art isn't considered "work" in our society. I think we lose so much this way. How many people could create something amazing if they didn't have to worry about money? I think about the WPA in the Depression and J.K. Rowling writing Harry Potter while on the dole.

theenglish and Vince A like this.
  18. jackoverfull

jackoverfull Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

very true. As a professional musician, son of a professional musician, it can be pretty depressing when you notice most people have zero idea on what my work involves and don’t consider it a job at all.

That’s something I hate of current society. The person that could be the next Mozart, Picasso or even Newton is likely going to die at 12 after a life of mining in Africa or working 18 hours a day at a fast food to survive.

19. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

My wife does for sure, and did, writing a novel and publishing it in the course of about 4 months.

I couldn't. My skills lie along a different path that is not creative.

Meh. My job is not always considered work either, though it has value. But, when I am out working and constructing I see the difference in the attitude. My wife's regular job is crafting and selling soap but few would consider it a job. It's all in the perspective of the person, and the fact that we need to readjust our attitude towards what is work.

I think the next generation probably will. I don't hate current society for it; I engage with the next generation who is going to change it.

Commander Troi and Vince A like this.
  20. Bornin1980something

Bornin1980something Captain Captain

Well, according to Flixpatrol, The Orville is at number 8 among TV shows on Disney+ in the US.

Commander Troi and Turtletrekker like this.