Spoilers The Orville: New Horizons Season 3 Discussion

I agree with Jayson1. The majority of people are not "lazy". Most want to do something with their lives, but the reality of the world suffocates that urge because we need to make money to live our lives. In a world where that "reality" does not exist people are free to do what makes them feel worthy even if it is not something that is considered desirable in our current world. If someone wants to paint designs for ceramic plates for their life, then they can do that. If they want to spend their life playing guitar on a street corner then they can do that and can actually become a really good guitarist. All of the people with physical/psychological disadvantages can live a rewarding life that makes them happy.

Just because skills are not valued in a capitalist society, does not mean they would not be valuable in a world where money is not valued.

Just so long as someone is training millions of replicator repairpeople to look after the billions of replicators keeping their society afloat, or they`d be devolving into the Eloi.

Trillions of men and women scrambling to be suckled by an ever dwindling supply of replicators no one knows how to repair and no one knows how to build new replicators.

Last edited:
Ah, thank you.

While I agree nobody should be without basics like food, clothing, shelter, etc., I am against the idea that I or anyone else has to work for people who do not want to do anything with themselves.

Why should I have to work hard just so other people can get everything they need and not lift a finger? That's not fair.

Grayson is right... at least try to be a guitarist, or researcher, or artist, or a waiter. Even things like just beta testing games. Something. Anything other than just take the resources you are given and not even attempt to do something.

It's one thing to work to help people in need (the homeless, disabled, elderly, etc.), but it's quite another when you have to work because others don't want to do anything. That's called 'gaming the system', something that a LOT of people in the U.S. do. I'm sure that's true for other countries that have welfare systems and the like in place.

Not to get stuck too far into politics but I think the key driver of successful UBI or (and this is my preference) UBS would be true equality of opportunity and provision of things such as education.

There will always be a small percentage of people who will try and game the system but ensuring no one is disadvantaged due to their birth, ensuring all are nurtured and so you are leaving education with sufficient skills to function in the world would heavily reduce the issues around people not engaging fully with society.

For many, they are held back by parents who either do not have the ability to support their education (due to poor education themselves or due to having to work multiple jobs to get by) which UBS would help resolve but also those whose parents actively diminish their scope to get this education.

Make that side more equal and people will (I believe) start to feel more engaged with society and less like society is against them so they are going to be against society.

In terms of the volume of people who do, stats for the UK have fraud relating to the benefits system (including everything from Universal Credit, Pensions, disability payments etc) is less than 1% so it is statistically insignificant but converting some of those from feeling abandoned from society to part of society will create an economic benefit to themselves and the whole greater than what they are currently taking out of it.

(One thing I was always happy Seth never brought in were transporters. I think he knew that would bring in too many loopholes and solutions and story minefields to handle.)
I suspect it had more to do with the lawyers. If Paramount ever came knocking, they can point to lack of transporters as the big/one and only thing that really differentiates Orville from Trek.

I suspect it had more to do with the lawyers. If Paramount ever came knocking, they can point to lack of transporters as the big/one and only thing that really differentiates Orville from Trek.

That's a possibility. ST is one of the few that employ transporting on a regular basis.

Yeah. Even Stargate was very creative in how it used such tech.

Just so long as someone is training millions of replicator repairpeople to look after the billions of replicators keeping their society afloat, or they`d be devolving into the Eloi.

Trillions of men and women scrambling to be suckled by an ever dwindling supply of replicators no one knows how to repair and no one knows how to build new replicators.
just have robots and an ai to oversee them, problem solved forever.

I wonder if Star Trek exists in the Orville world.
It would have to. Seinfeld obviously exists, we see the characters watching an episode of it back in season 1. Since Seinfeld did an entire episode centered around The Wrath of Khan, and Seinfeld exists in the Orville universe, logic dictates Star Trek exists in the Orville universe.

MacFarlane himself has been asked about this, though he evades the issue, around the seven minute mark of this video:

It doesn’t always work like that.
I remember Paul Reiser’s character in Mad About You being asked if he’d ever seen the movie Aliens and he said, “No, why? Should I?” Or something equally meta.
If the fictional version of Terminator needs Sylvester Stallone in the role instead of Schwarzenegger, than so be it.
But yes, the universe of Orville could easily have Star Trek in it as an obscure Sci-Fi show hardly anyone remembers. Except maybe the founders of the Union got lazy and just copied a Kirk speech when writing up their constitution.

Back