The One Thing You Could Change...

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by Farscape One, May 14, 2020.

1. Sisko_is_my_captain

Sisko_is_my_captain Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I would change the very last scene. A title card would indicate it is now six months later. Jake is standing at the viewport, obviously still full of grief. Behind him can be seen numerous Bajorans in Starfleet uniforms, suggesting that Bajor has joined the Federation. Someone approaches him from behind, placing a caring hand on his shoulder. Jake turns, sees his father, and collapses into a powerful embrace with his dad. The camera lingers on the two, giving the moment its due, then slowly drifts away from the station.

2. Farscape One

Farscape One Vice Admiral Admiral

You know, I LOVE that idea.

Sisko_is_my_captain and kkt like this.
  3. Paul755

Paul755 Commodore Commodore

Yeah, that’s a good one.

The fact we never got a proper final scene between Ben and Jake still bugs me.

4. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

Change one thing: No Section 31.

5. Ocanain

Ocanain Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I would’ve liked Kiras character to be written better and for there have been more character conflict with Jake.

6. TimeIsAPredator

TimeIsAPredator Commodore Commodore

Am I right in thinking that Jadzia was killed last minute cause Prick Berman was bullying her about her contract and not a storytelling decision?

I like that Ben was sacrificed but he should have had his last vision with Jake but my one big change would be to use the GQ more early on and have a bit more imagination about the races in a new quadrant

Not A Dominion Spy likes this.
  7. kkt

kkt Commodore Commodore

Yes, it was the result of Farrell leaving the show rather than a storytelling decision. However, who was the prick and who was the bully is pretty hard to tell from this distance. Farrell's grievances have certainly gotten more publicity but that doesn't mean she was right and the producers were wrong.

Bad Thoughts likes this.
  8. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

I would've made Garak openly gay. They thought about it, then cowered possibly because of pressure from Rick Berman or because they didn't think it would fly with most of the audience back then. They should've done it anyway.

Cyfa, Qonundrum and ThreeEdgedSword like this.
  9. Ocanain

He seemed openly gay to me. It doesn’t mean they need to pursue a token relationship.

Qonundrum likes this.
  10. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

I don't think he needed to pursue a relationship. But I do think they didn't come right out and say it, and just let people read between the lines, so they could have plausible deniability.

Qonundrum and ThreeEdgedSword like this.
  11. Ocanain

Quite possibly. I do feel it felt more organic that way though.

Lord Garth likes this.
  12. TimeIsAPredator

TimeIsAPredator Commodore Commodore

It would have been a help for me as I saw the show as a young teen so nuanced camp went way over my head and I would have needed a kiss or something to point it out.

13. USS Firefly

USS Firefly Commodore Commodore

That would be a great ending!
    It always disappointed me that Ben chooses Kassidy over Jake in the end

kkt and Sisko_is_my_captain like this.
  14. Farscape One

Farscape One Vice Admiral Admiral

I actually would have preferred Jake instead of Kasidy getting that scene, but I can understand it only in this way.

Jake, at this point, is an adult (20 or 21 at this point) who has shown to be his own man. Kasidy is pregnant with their unborn baby. I can see Ben possibly making her the priority vision.

I think a best scenario would have been for Ben to have them BOTH in a vision and talk. If not at once, then back to back scenes.

Lord Garth likes this.
  15. Nakita Akita

Nakita Akita Commodore Commodore

How was he openly gay?
    He had a relationship Dukat's daughter.
    Which brings me to, that I wish they had done more with their relationship
    And that Zyal wouldn't have died.

kkt likes this.
  16. Ocanain

I always noted his hesitation and that she was his friend but nothing more. While she certainly expressed wanting to be with him. I only saw his discomfort with the entire affair.

17. Beckerjr

Beckerjr Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

DS9 was about probably about 10 years to early to have the character shown being openly gay. Especially not being on cable like HBO or even a channel like FX where that was done earlier.

18. Angry Fanboy

Angry Fanboy Captain Captain

I think that regardless of his sexuality, that discomfort could easily be put down to his being conscious of the not inconsiderable age difference between them and the fact that she's the daughter of a man who is practically a sworn enemy.

19. Ocanain

He would have delighted in the relationship as far as Dukat’s outrage and someone with his moral imperative having concerns about age gaps seems doubtful. I never questioned his non heterosexual natures. I still don’t but you’re welcome to see it that way of course.

20. Soong-type Android

Soong-type Android Captain Captain

The one thing I'd change about DS9 is not to have those terrible mirror universe episodes.