Spoilers The new (massive spoiler) ship!

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Picard' started by NCC-73515, Oct 8, 2022.

1. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

Then it would be great if it was a placeholder for a different ship entirely. But I highly doubt that is the case.

saddestmoon and HotRod like this.
  2. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I doubt it, Terry said the season has been finished for a month.
    And the VFX Supervisor said they barely touched the model.

3. Captain Fine

Captain Fine Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yeah not sure how the ship looks worse in Picard than in STO. So bizarre.

4. NCC-73515

NCC-73515 Vice Admiral Admiral

Because it's (insert current year)! :D

5. Tomalak

Tomalak Vice Admiral Admiral

This was the first photo I saw of the Enterprise-D. I still think it's the coolest thing I've ever seen!

[​IMG]

Terry also said there's been a little confusion about what the cast have said about visiting the old bridge.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Enterprise-F bridge is retro-inspired, maybe with the wooden horseshoe?

6. Argosy

Argosy Lieutenant Red Shirt

I wasn’t the biggest fan of the F at first, but then I flew her and her variants in STO and came to appreciate the design a lot more. I like the dual neck, I think it adds a little bit of visual flare to the capital ship. We have holes in saucers etc, so why not.

As for the trailer shot of the F, some of the views of the Titan in the last trailer were lit in a less than flattering way. It’s possible the trailer flyby of the F looks as intended, but then the shot of the Starfleet building being destroyed still has that ‘zbrush base material red’ statue standing outside and I have a hard time believing that’s its intended look.

Never underestimate the disconnect between Production and the Marketing Dept. The FX work may be finished but it’s possible marketing wasn’t working with all of that material, or even had the time to check. I definitely don’t think the issue is with the model as Thomas revamped the F this year with this in mind.

7. Spike730

Spike730 Captain Captain

So I guess the F stands for Fat. Not a fan of the design but at least it looks time appropriate.

8. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

That would be the Enterprise-D or E, not the Enterprise-F. I think the point of the Enterprise-F is to show that time has moved on and this isn't their Enterprise. That's the opposite of nostalgia (a word that too many people misuse). When they're all hanging out on the Enterprise-D or a recreation of the Enterprise-D, that's nostalgia.

In a TOS/TNG Parallel: The Enterprise-F to the TNG Crew is like the Enterprise-B to the TOS Crew. Not their ship. They might tease the audience for a split second, like when Kirk sits in the chair for a grand total of one second, before getting up (because he knows the ship isn't his), but that's about as far as I think they'd go, if they even do that.

To take Star Trek out of the equation: When I'm in a store and if I happen to see Transformers or Ninja Turtles toys, the first thought that comes across my mind is, "These aren't my Transformers or Ninja Turtles!" Unless I see one done in '80s-style. Then that's nostalgia. But if I see something that's whatever new thing they're doing in this century that's aimed at the kids today, then no. Not my generation. My parents used to watch the Adam West Batman. When they took me to see the Michael Keaton Batman movies they didn't feel nostalgia, they said, "That's not my Batman!"

Last edited: Oct 11, 2022
  9. The Knappos

The Knappos Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

West, Keaton, Bale, Pattinson. All my Batmen. Connery, Moore, Dalton, Brosnan, Craig. All my Bond. 1701 (all versions), A, C, D, E, F. All my Enterprises.

I feel quite lucky to not gatekeep myself in that way.

10. Tuskin38

I think the odyssey fits the design lineage of the Sovereign. But I feel like there’s a ship missing in between to lead to it.

I also feel the same about the D to E.
    There’s no in between design that leads to it. Just a sudden change. The Ross Class kinda fills that, but I think it has too much sovereign in it.

saddestmoon likes this.
  11. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

Yup, that's all fine. I was just using examples to illustrate what nostalgia is and isn't.

Brosnan's my favorite Bond and Pattison's my favorite Batman. One from when I was younger and one from right now. So I think I have a good balance.

12. Tuskin38

Quoting this in relation to my previous post. I think there’s too much of a size difference between the sovereign and odyssey

saddestmoon likes this.
  13. Argosy

Argosy Lieutenant Red Shirt

Where Starfleet capital ships are concerned you could argue that as they’re representing the Federation apex there’s an element of artistry and political will involved in the ship design which perhaps makes the design lineage a little more opaque. A Capital ship has to look the part, wow its members, impress new species and so is perhaps a little more susceptible to the styles and politics of its time.

A capital ship can be as much a statement as it is a functioning ship and probably an indicator of how Starfleet and the federation have grown that they can afford to do that. In that way I think the D and the F share a certain design idealism. The E felt like it was a response to the troubled times they found themselves in, the same could be said for the others to an extent. The D and the F feel a little more luxurious and indulgent of the Federations idealisms.

14. Tomalak

Tomalak Vice Admiral Admiral

Kilmer, Lazenby and NX-01 wonder what they did wrong. :wah:

15. Spike730

Spike730 Captain Captain

And don't forget the B.

16. yenny

yenny Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The Enterprise-E will be seen at the decommission ceremony. She will be the one being decommission. That's what I've think why a large fleet is at the starbase and why fireworks being shot off is for.

NCC-73515 likes this.
  17. Tuskin38

Last edited: Oct 11, 2022
    Markonian and Reanok like this.
  18. yenny

yenny Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Markonian likes this.
  19. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

20. WarpFactorZ

WarpFactorZ Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, "Frontier" is a word that is sometimes known to be associated with Trek....

Dukhat likes this.