Spoilers The Mandalorian season 2 discussion

Discussion in 'Star Wars' started by Turtletrekker, Oct 30, 2020.

1. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I mean, there several Star Destroyers that seen around the Death Star at various points so maybe there were assignments.
    Not necessarily.
    I don't think it should have been.
    Exactly.

Noname Given likes this.
  2. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Oh I know the reasoning; I've read 'Lost Stars'. I just mean that this is like the 5th *named character*, so it's becoming a bit of a trope.

3. fireproof78

Ah, OK. I do agree that it is a bit of a trope, much like in Legends were Force users and Jedi started coming out of the woodwork.

Tuskin38 likes this.
  4. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

There was an odd fuzzy boundary on his face. My guess is that rather than a full from-scratch digital human 3D rendered head, like Leia and Tarkin in Rogue One, or the characters in Blade Runner 2049 and Gemini Man, it was much more directly based on RotJ-era footage, using either a rough animated head or the stand-in as a source. Not quite as basic as the Jib-Jab face-cutouts they used for the flashbacks in Rise of Skywalker, but not too far off from that either, and there was probably some machine-learning "deepfake" technology in there, too.

Interestingly, for Rogue One, one of the things that makes Tarkin look "off" (beyond it being an early example of the technique) is that they were matching their digital model not just to the actual Peter Cushing, but to the lighting style and stage makeup used in Rogue One as opposed to the flatter lighting and heavier makeup in A New Hope. I feel like Luke's appearance here sort of vindicates that decision. His face is much softer and less detailed than the actors who were on set, thanks to his heavy early-eighties makeup. He very much looks like he walked in from a different movie. But it was also probably the technique that they could get the best results from on a TV budget. And I'm having trouble imagining how "serious RotJ-era Luke Skywalker meets a bunch of strangers for a cameo" doesn't come off as kind of stilted and awkward, writing-wise, even if they weren't limited what they could do with him where you could see his face in terms of movement and acting.

5. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm thinking that when Bo accepted the Darksaber from Sabine without earning it, a lot of Mandos didn't follow her.

Remember they explained the whole helmet thing.

6. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Gideon knew exactly what he was doing when he was cornered. If he was going down or even dying then he was going to make sure Mando didn't come out of this incident with any kind of victory.

He's been a pretty well-written villain, especially for an Imperial officer in Star Wars.

7. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

I still contend they should've saved the face reveal for that scene.

Watching the extended credits I had a wild thought, I think when I do a series rewatch I'm going to do it with the Italian dub and English subtitles and make it a real spaghetti western.

arch101 likes this.
  8. Velocity

Velocity Vice Admiral Admiral

I usually watch the pictures at the end of an episode, but when there weren't any this time I was tempted to turn it off. So glad I didn't!

9. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Bib Fortuna was in the cast credits before the post-credits scene, which made me stop and think, he wasn't in this episode so I waited.

10. fireproof78

How very Palpatine of him.

11. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

The benefits of binging, all of season two enjoyed in five hours, fully immersed in the universe and going along with the characters on one hell of a journey!

12. Beckerjr

Beckerjr Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

We can hope that this show is the template for all the announced Star Wars going forward and not the hot garbage that J.J. and Rian dumped on us.

Star Wars will have a bright future is so.

As for some of the criticisms like the Jedi action and Luke's face etc. remember that while they are putting money in this show its still just that, not a $200 million movie.

13. Jesse1066

Jesse1066 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I started to tear up when the X-Wing appeared, and didn't stop crying until after the credits ended. I think something is wrong with my eyes.

Velocity and Saul like this.
  14. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

Ok, THIS is the sequel trilogy.

I can't believe they did it. They actually blew their load. How can season 3 top the fan service of Bo Katan, Ahsoka, Boba Fett and you know who.

Yeah, didn't expect Jedi Master Ho Lee to show up.

Mace Windu saved him.

If he can survive Darth Vader he can survive Kylo Ren.

ITDUDE likes this.
  15. fireproof78

They can't. So move the :censored: on from the fan service and tell a new story in this world!

David cgc and Campe like this.
  16. Campe

Campe Vice Admiral Admiral

Gotta agree here. I liked season 2, but the fan service was over the top. They earned it. But move on.

fireproof78 likes this.
  17. maneth

maneth Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well, fan service or not, I liked it.

Nx-007, Velocity and Ethros like this.
  18. Gordie

Gordie Captain Captain

Mark Hamill just now lol

[​IMG]

Nx-007, Saul, ITDUDE and 9 others like this.
  19. Crewman6

Crewman6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

What's better?

20. Crewman6

Crewman6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If you slip and drop it in the bathtub, it's fair game!

Velocity and Gordie like this.