Spoilers The Mandalorian season 2 discussion

Discussion in 'Star Wars' started by Turtletrekker, Oct 30, 2020.

1. Crazyewok

Crazyewok Vice Admiral Admiral

With the exception of rogue one. That's pretty much the only time I have thought this with Disney star wars.
    With the every sequel trilogy film I was looking at the clock waiting for the bordom to end.

2. wayoung

wayoung Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't think that was a de-aged Hamill, I think that was a completely cgi Luke like Tarkin and Leia in Rogue 1, but I may be wrong:shrug:

KennyB likes this.
  3. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

Max Lloyd Jones played the double for the Jedi. I really thought it was Hayden with those moves he was doing.

4. Campe

Campe Vice Admiral Admiral

Regardless of how they did it, Hamill was credited and Reed has experience working with the technology. I’m not 100% certain Michael Douglas and Michelle Pfeiffer were standing there as Hank and Janet in the Ant Man movies either when they were deaged but I could be wrong. I imagine we’ll see more on the process for this series in the Gallery supplement in a week.

DarKush likes this.
  5. Tarek71

Tarek71 Commodore Commodore

Good to see Luke again. Obviously this was Luke's version of the Rogue One Vader scene. Both were great. He slices through them easily. Remember how tough they were set up to be. A Mandolorian humps to beat ONE of these things, and Mandolorians are very tough. Luke handled a couple of dozen of them in less than a minute. Not sure what is supposed to be disappointing about that.

Luke should have waved a hand and crushed them all in half a second? Maybe. But I dont mind the slicing and dicing either. This was the first time we really saw Luke in combat as a relatively mature Jedi. Not the one who mysteriously dies of exhaustion after force projecting a hologram of himself to another planet. (WTF, Rian Johnson!?)

In my mental canon, JJWars lives in its own awful quantum reality.

Anyway, great episode. I suspect Jedi training will not take with Grogu and we will see a reunion with Mando. We'll see.

6. KennyB

KennyB I have spoken............ Moderator

7. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Now I get the Peyton Reed connection because the de-aging in the Ant-Man films is the best in the MCU. I don't think what we saw in Mandalorian was even as good as that, or young Leia in Episode 9, but was better than young Leia in Rogue One and maybe a little better than Tarkin.

I really wasn't expecting they would go there with Luke. I just refused to believe it. I thought it was Ahsoka in the X-Wing and I still refused to believe it would really, really be Luke even when the mystery Jedi brandished just one lightsaber, eliminating Ahsoka as the person. Even when I saw the green lightsaber, the black glove, I was expecting a fake out, some Rian Johnson subversion. I wouldn't allow myself to believe that Disney was going there, but man, oh man, they did, and we finally get a taste of the Luke Skywalker I've been wanting to see in live action now for over 30 years. Not only did we get Luke, but R2 was back too, and I felt prominently featured as a kind of rejoinder to how he was pushed the side in the sequels.

Was the fighting as fluid as I would've wanted? No, but neither was Ahsoka's lightsaber fighting, but I give major credit for Favreau, etc. giving us Luke, and also for having the courage to end this story arc on in a big way, while also shifting to a new arc. I imagine that we'll see Mando in the Boba story, or they might hold off and bring him back in Season 4 or he'll play a role in the Ahsoka or Bo-Katan spin offs. I'm fine with all those options. Instead of following him again anytime soon, I think going with Boba could be refreshing, and hopefully they will catch up with Sabine Wren as well, perhaps in Season 4 or 5.

The season finale was very well done, as was the whole series, and season. The special effects and cinematography are great. They do a lot with a little in terms of story and characterization. I am glad they didn't kill off Gideon, because if they had done so it would've been a waste of a great actor and an intriguing villain. I'm also glad they brought the Dark Troopers back after Mando blew them out the airlock. If they hadn't, that would've been an underwhelming demise for them. They were worthy of the fate they got, being struck down by Luke.

It's taken half-a-decade, and a lot of mistakes, but Disney has finally figured out how to create good Star Wars. These two Mandalorian seasons are the best Star Wars they've done. I liked Rogue One, thought Solo was decent but unnecessary, liked part of their Clone Wars and Rebels, haven't finished Resistance (though season 2 is an improvement from what I've seen), like a good number of the comics but have lost interest in their novels, and thought Episode 9 was the best entry in a not good sequel trilogy, but Mandalorian has brought it home every time. I can feel the love for Star Wars from the people making the series that I can't say I've felt for the sequels, even those from self-professed fan J.J. Abrams.

8. Gordie

Gordie Captain Captain

Disney has nothing to with making Star Wars good or bad imo. They are just the production company that puts up the money. It's the people they hire that make the difference. So I guess you could say they are responsible in that way, but for me, the entire credit goes to Favreau and Filoni, and of course the rest of the team, actors, directors and everyone behind the scenes.

Beckerjr, Captain Fine and KennyB like this.
  9. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Luke walking through and the Dark Troopers crumbling without him lifting a finger would've been bad ass .But I think they wanted to give the fans (myself included), and perhaps themselves, Luke wielding a lightsaber. Though I do think the fight scenes could've been better, I still found them better than most of the lightsaber duels in the sequels, with the exception of the throne room scene in Last Jedi, and I don't know if that really counts as a lightsaber fight.

http://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/mandalorian-season-2-finales-fantastic-110602525.html

10. KennyB

KennyB I have spoken............ Moderator

THIS IS THE WAY. F & F are amazing at their craft. Dave's love for the property was apparent when he was in animation and I knew he'd do big things if he could ever get into live action.

Tarek71 and Gordie like this.
  11. StarMan

StarMan Vice Admiral Admiral

Christ, I feel I've been whacked upside the head. Stunning.

Even after the X-Wing and the first shot of the green lightsaber, I refused to believe it was him. I'm not getting my damn hopes up to have them quashed - as so often happens on my sci-fi diet. Then, the glove ... oh my god, it's got to be ...

The CGI was very distracting, unfortunately. His face seemed bereft of emotion - truer to Hamill's ROTJ performance? <shrug> ... I know that facial subtleties are hard to animate (unless you're working with motion capture tech ala. Gollum). It's a minor quibble in what was a knock out episode.

Indeed. I can't imagine the series flying without him. Frankly, I don't want to live in that world. Grogu will reunite with Dad soon enough (I hope!).

DarKush and KennyB like this.
  12. ITDUDE

ITDUDE Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yep, the lack of Grogu in sequel trilogy is most worrisome at this point...

13. ITDUDE

ITDUDE Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, it doesn't look like he actually participated in filming or voice work. But you can't use someone's likeness without giving them credit. So he definitely got paid, whether he actually participated or not.

14. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

There was definitely some moments where it felt off. When Luke moves his head sometimes it looks like a bad Deepfake. That's what I thought when I first saw the clip

" Was Sebastian Stan really there and someone just deepfaked Mark Hamills face?"

Could be the quality and cutting of the clip

DarKush likes this.
  15. Seven of Five

Seven of Five Stupid Sexy Flanders! Premium Member

Well, that was a million out of 10. :techman:

Seeing Luke save the day, was such a badass moment. , as was R2 showing up. Luke taking Baby Yoda with him to train him, was so, so bittersweet. :( Mando taking his helmet off for him as they say goodbye to him. :( :( :(

16. Campe

Campe Vice Admiral Admiral

So, there doesn't appear to be any confirmation from the producers on this but Variety posits "The Book of Boba Fett" will be another spinoff.

The December 2021 date puzzles me though as I believe that is when Mando season 3 is to be released. Makes me think it might be a streaming movie or actually a part of Mando season 3.

So really, until the producers say anything, who knows?

17. Xerxes82

Xerxes82 Captain Captain

Perhaps the inconsistency IS the story. We know that Bo-Katan's Mandalorian alliance didn't work out so well. The Empire clearly did some bad, bad things to Mandalore and it's people after we last saw them in Rebels. It's entirely possible that Bo-Katan feels like some part of whatever happened did so because everyone knew she didn't win the Darksaber in combat in the "correct" way, and she doesn't want to make that same mistake again.

Both being Dave Filoni involved, it's clear that this wasn't a continuity mistake, but a narrative choice.

Skywalker and DarKush like this.
  18. Gordie

Gordie Captain Captain

I think The Book of Boba Fett will be season 3 of this show.

KennyB, FreezeC77 and DarKush like this.
  19. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

This was a pretty good episode. It had some problems, like the Darksaber having to be taken by combat for...basically no reason, and contradicting stuff with Bo katan in the past. There was also Mando being a naive idiot again, actually thinking for a minute that Gideon would let him leave with the baby, and then not keeping Gideon away from a gun. But the action was good, seeing Luke (even if the CG was a bit iffy) was great, and the set up for things to come was really cool.

Overall I enjoyed this season a lot, I think it was a bit stronger then even the very strong first season, and I can't wait for another season. Hopefully Star Wars live action Tv keeps hitting it out of the park like this.

20. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

It might also be a mini series that comes out shortly before season 3.

If it is season 3, then Pedro is still going to be in it, as they said filming on season three wasn’t going to start until he was done filming something else.