The Janeway debate

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by hux, Jan 11, 2011.

1. JanewayRulz!

JanewayRulz! Vice Admiral Admiral

^^ Speaking of "gun safety", am I correct in thinking Commander Tuvok, head of security, is POINTING HIS RIFLE AT THE CAPTAIN"S HEAD???????

2. exodus

exodus Fleet Admiral Admiral

Hey, it's the fastest way to self promotion. :lol:

3. froot

froot Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Guarding the Compound with the Grey Wardens
    Heck, the captain is pointing her own rifle at her head, so what's one more? :rommie:

Yeah, Harry looks kinda concerned back there. Maybe he already got shot in the foot. :)

4. exodus

:guffaw:

5. kimc

kimc Coffee Mod Admiral

I'm not sure if you've misunderstood or if this is just a misdirect. In case of the former let me clarify: We ALL have preconceptions of others and make judgements based on gender, race, weight (a recent study found that people who were overweight generally got paid less), how we dress, etc. Many of us realize that when we clutch our wallets or purses more tightly when a young man wearing loose pants and a hoodie gets onto the elevator that we're reacting to a stereotype. There are some however who will walk off that elevator believing they had a close call.

I believe that most men who watch Voyager either don't have a problem with Janeway or recognize their own reactions to the stereotypes. There are some fans though who not only don't get it but like to be vocal about it.

I'll also note that I've just mentioned men since that was your focus. This is not to say that women can't have this same reaction. We are often are own worse enemies.

6. kimc

kimc Coffee Mod Admiral

You know, that's an interesting comparison. As much as Q exasperated Janeway she would sit down with him and have actual conversations. I can't recall that ever happening with Picard.

Yeah, just who does she think she is anyway? As captain shouldn't she be making the sacrifice of letting one of the crew carry the big gun? How selfish and SMUG of her!

;)

Last edited: Jan 14, 2011
  7. Shatnertage

Shatnertage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's not like any of the Trek captains are bedrocks of consistency. Well, except for the beverage they prefer. The show would be boring if they were, because we'd know exactly what they're going to do before they do it.

Janeway doesn't exasperate me any more than Kirk, Picard, Sisko or Archer do. Yes, I don't agree with all of her decisions, but I can't say that about any Trek captain.

8. kimc

kimc Coffee Mod Admiral

Exactly! :)

9. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

remember when Q asked to join the Picards crew?

When you ask the security officer if he's "eaten any good books lately" I think you've made your own bed.

10. exodus

As much as folks talk about Janeway being stubborn and only wanting things her way, she took the time to learn things from Q because she did take time to have conversations with him. Picard acted like he knew more than Q and never took the time to think: what can this Godlike being teach me? That is what Q was trying to do, teach Picard the whole time. For an Ambassidor, Picard wasn't diplomatic at all when it came to Q. Janeway was.

11. Guy Gardener

By the final year, Data's estimation of the relationship between Q and Picard was that Q thought Picard was his Dog. Literally a dumb animal he looked after and cared for.

Name one other antogonist the crew faced down who could get away with calling her "Kathy" and not wind up with her foot up their ass?

Considering he's a telepath, she had to "dicide" not to be bothered with Q rather than pretend not to be bothered with him. Which is just a whole parapsychology bullshit of selfmindwashing to control stress and consequences.

How they chose to relate Q and Janeway is not the opposite of how Q associated with Picard, but with "Sisko". Remember: "You hit me, you hit me! Picard never hit me!? ...I made you angry. Good, I can work with that."

I bet there's a class at the academy called "how to deal with Q 101" where they chew over Picard vs. Sisko ad infinitum ad Nauseum.

12. exodus

Off the top of my head: Kashyyk from "Counterpoint".

I win!:lol:

13. Guy Gardener

I do believe that by stories end, that that spud got her foot up his ass.

I win?

14. exodus

Yes, you win. :(

15. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

i really like mulgrew, and janeway when she wasn't written as a psychopath.

i blame the writers. fucking writers.

16. sonak

sonak Vice Admiral Admiral

in a figment of a mediocre mind's imagination
    Yeah, the problem with the character is largely due to the writers, not the actress. I think Mulgrew did a fine job with what she had.

But Janeway and Archer were probably the most inconsistently written captains, so her character was basically dependent on how they were writing her.

(a stickler for the PD and Starfleet regulations one week, bending the rules the next week, etc.)

She also has some of the more questionable decisions on record of the captains. ("Tuvix," "Equinox," etc.)

17. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

if she was consistent, janeway would be my #1 captain.

as it is picard edges her out for being Patrick Stewart

18. HoneyBLilly

HoneyBLilly Commodore Commodore

Janeway was inconsistent, but after being detatched from Starfleet for years wouldn't you be too?

Mulgrew was brilliant. She had no idea what she was getting into but that worked to her advantage. She took Janeway and made her human. While I love Kirk, Picard, and Sisko(the legitimate captains) they weren't totally human, in Sisko's case that is actually literally true. Kirk was the closest, he was flawed the most and he was space whore on top of it all which perhaps humanized him the most. Picard was too perfect. And Sisko was the Emissary to the Prophets.

Janeway was flawed but she was beautiful for it.

Betelnut likes this.
  19. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

again Mulgrew is awesome.

however, janeway was irrational in caretaker

20. Gotham Central

Gotham Central Vice Admiral Admiral

That probably had more to do with Q being more lethal in his interactions with Picard than he ever was with Janeway.

Lets review...during his first encounter with Q, his helmsman was frozen and nearly killed. Q then kidnapped his bridge crew, put guns to their head and put them on trial for human history.

In a subsequent encounter, Q once again puts his brdige crew in danger by exposing them to some Napoleanic animal things (who proceed to impale Wesley and hurt other crew members) while simultaneously delaying the Enterprise from a life or death mercy mission which ultimately resulted in deaths amongst the colonists.

The next encounter results in Q flinging the Enterprise to the Delta Quadrant. Exposing the Enterprise and the Federation to the Borg and resulting in the DEATH of 24 crew members.

Why exactly would Picard hold Q in anything less than total disdain at that point. Q was not just a nuissance, he was deadly. Hell, the events of "Q Who" directly lead to Picard's torture ar the hands of Borg and the massacre at Wolf 359.