The Down Under Lounge

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by teacake, Jun 27, 2014.

1. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I actually wrote Coopers a letter (well.. an email) I was SO PISSED OFF.

Tone deaf. Frakking heck.

What a painful thing to watch.. "light" oh yeah, all those suicides and family rejections are just soooo light.

Goddam it I love my pale :(

2. Gingerbread Demon

Gingerbread Demon I love Star Trek Discovery Premium Member

Well fuckity fuck.

The NBN is a real clusterfuck. Different suburbs and parts of even the same cities using different technologies. WTF? So the LNP version of the NBN isn't future proof.

Our area will eventually have to switch over and geez what a schamozzle? Even people across several streets have different connections to what we are being offered. How did this happen? We are getting HFC cable.. As I said what a mess?

Why was the Labor govt. plan so bad? FTTH would have been the way to go, but this really sounds like too many hands in too many pies and too much muddling around.

The LNP did this to protect Foxtel. Protect them from what? I thought competition was part of the marketplace and LNP ideology was "the market will sort itself out" wasn't that their ideology?

Last edited: Mar 17, 2017
  3. Australis

Australis Writer - Australis Admiral

Big Biz, especially Murdoch, are the support of the Libs, whereas we're just rabble who should be told what to do because we're poor. Or something. Hell with them.

4. Gingerbread Demon

I still don't get how FTTH would hurt Foxtel, if anything it would have increased their business.

5. Australis

It would speed up that illegal thing you can do. It would also give other companies the chance to be equal to Foctel in terms of speed and delivery. Again, or something. Murdoch loves control.

6. Gingerbread Demon

Which is funny as hell considering how the mantra seems to be "competition is good for the market" for the LNP.

7. Miss Chicken

Miss Chicken Little three legged cat with attitude Admiral

I have FTTH and I steam TV shows via Stan, iView and CuriousityStream. That is plenty of shows for me and much cheaper than Foxtel, and without all the annoying ads,

8. Gingerbread Demon

And what are the costs for FTTH? is it comparable to broadband or more pricey? We are getting HFC which seems a bit naff because in 10 years or sooner they'll have to upgrade anyway.

9. Miss Chicken

I pay $119 a month. That is for 500 gb monthly data allowance, very fast speed, land phone and free local calls. I can have up to three free 500 gb data top ups a year but I have never needed to use one as I have never used more than 450gb in one month.

If I wanted super fast speed that would be an extra $20 a month. The fastest speeds I usually get on my current plan are about 46 Mbps.

10. Gingerbread Demon

Well I think we have 18 months or so before the copper lines here are switched off. But HFC man..... That's not much faster then copper is it?

11. Gingerbread Demon

12. teacake

PAY WALL

lol, I've never even looked at that paper, where's my free 10 articles

13. Gingerbread Demon

14. teacake

So guys, how about that cyclone..

15. PlainSimpleJoel

PlainSimpleJoel Fleet Admiral Premium Member

^ It's something I am watching. Got lots of old school friends from Townsville. Hopefully they will be okay.

16. Gingerbread Demon

I have a niece living in that area .. Hopefully they have taken advice and moved. I just feel bad for Queensland they seem to cop a lot of these kind of things.

17. teacake

Beautiful one day.. perfect the next

18. Miss Chicken

I am so grateful that I have basic hospital coverage.

I had a colonoscopy and gastroscopy yesterday because I have severe anemia. I had a six week wait to get into Hobart Private but I think if I had to rely on the hopeless public system I would have had months of worry about whether I had cancer or not.

I did have to pay $500 up front as I have basic cover with $500 excess.

NOT CANCER. Reason for the anemia - a large hiatal hernia that is bleeding. I was given an iron infusion. I did have a polyp removed but the doctor is pretty certain it was a benign one.

I have been very tired but I thought it was a result of my athritis and asthma. The anemia was picked up when I went to donate blood and my haemoglobin was slightly low. They decided I need a full blood test and we found out my ferritin levels were down to 5 (normal levels are 18 to 160).

I am grateful to the Red Cross though giving blood did contribute to the low levels. Looks like I won't be able to donate for a while :(

19. Australis

Feel better, Miss C.

Life has me out of whack. Unemployed again, but new granddaughter. I'm too old to deal with bloody Centrelink and their crap. I just feel tired all the time, energy very low.

20. Marc

Marc Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Mum is reaching the point where she's thinking retirement (she's 68) but still working is less of a hassle than dealing with centrelink.

and speaking of centrestink, there are still questions about whether the relevant minister broke the law by releasing private details.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-04-...relink-details-may-be-a-crime:-lawyer/8409152

wonder who the told him that he had the legal power to do so