News The Disney+ (The New Streaming Service) Thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Dec 22, 2018.

1. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, the service literally has months and months of stuff for me to watch just based on its day 1 line up. Also, the article trying to quantify "quality movies/shows per dollar" is subjective as hell and complete BS.

Personally, it feels like there is almost too much to watch, which is a good thing.

Qonundrum likes this.
  2. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

Not much bang? Are they smoking crack over at Lifehacker? It’s a ton of content. More than Facebook and Apple. And I would argue: of better quality than Netflix original content.

3. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I am a little surprised they aren't going to have at least one of the MCU shows up on Day 1, I guess they must figure The Mandalorian is enough draw for the older crowd.

4. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

There's an interesting article over on IGN about why Disney can't buy their own movie theaters. It also wonders if it could possibly be decided that these studios can't own their own streaming services.
    Apparently there is something called vertical integration, where the company owns both the production and the distribution, and, in the movie industry at least, that is illegal since it could lead to a monopoly.
    Not only that, but by making the movies and shows available through a distribution method they own, it can potentially effect the amount of money the creators can get, since they aren't getting anything from the licensing deals that are made when the studio doesn't own the distribution method.

5. kitik

kitik Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I've seen a bunch of articles over the past few weeks (from reliable places like Deadline/Variety) that have mentioned that the creators are getting a much bigger "frontend" for Disney+ content, and that's part of the reason some of their production costs are so high. They have to pay people more up front since there is no backend.

6. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Ah, that would make sense.

7. Professor Zoom

That’s an intriguing idea.

8. kitik

Disney doing something with their Fox animation acquisitions:
    https://discussingfilm.net/2019/10/...fs-in-early-development-for-disney-exclusive/
    Some Ice Age and Rio spinoff cartoons may be heading to Disney+.

Plus a whole ton of other animated projects for Disney+
    https://hnentertainment.co/exclusiv...nd-animated-projects-in-the-works-for-disney/
    including: Jiminy Cricket, the Seven Dwarfs, Cheshire Cat, and even something related to Fantasia.

All of this stuff is in early stages of course, so it may not all make the jump from development to actually streaming.

This is obviously a case of Disney mining their library of characters to try to make some content. Which is fine of course. They're going to need to keep creating new content for Disney+ forever and ever.

9. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Not sure about Jiminy Cricket, but the rest of those could be fun.

10. kitik

information on the SparkShorts from Pixar:

-the three previously released ones, Purl, Smash and Grab, and Kitbull will all be available Nov 12
    -one of the new ones, Float, will also drop on Nov 12
    -the fifth one, Wind, will be Dec 13, and Loop will show up on Jan 10

here's a trailer:

Pixar is known for making some pretty quality shorts, and one would imagine that the new ones will continue their track record. (Which I don't think is perfect, mind you, but they have made some nice ones.)

here's a weird one: Pixar IRL

I initially thought it might be neat, but then I realized that it was essentially Disney's roving character themepark attractions making themselves available to people in the normal world. But here's the trailer and you can judge for yourself:

and one more trailer, for Forky Asks A Question, which really look like (relax, I know they're not) extra scenes or some more postcredit scenes from Toy Story 4

Though I'm sure most will be perfectly enjoyable.

11. Qonundrum

Qonundrum Vice Admiral Admiral

If it included all Hulu content that'd be even better but for $7/mo, regardless of any commercials thrown in, the amount of shows offered will probably always be available and that's not a bad thing...

12. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

This opinion is highly subjective. If you want original content, sure, but I don't. I love all the old shows and being able to introduce my kids to them is the best part of this new service.

kirk55555 and Professor Zoom like this.
  13. Professor Zoom

This. Like a million times. There's a lot of content right out of the gate.

kirk55555, crookeddy and fireproof78 like this.
  14. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

I loved all three of the previously released shorts, especially Kitbull. I'm looking forward to the next three!

15. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

I guess I'm just looking more forward to the original material. The back catalogue is just gravy.

16. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

17. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Oh, that Avatar, for a second there I was thinking you were talking aboout Avatar: The Last Airbender. I got all excited, then I realized it was the other one.

18. Professor Zoom

Meh.

The best thing about the movie--and the only thing I really enjoyed--was the immersive 3D experience, which isn't possible in my house. So... skip!

19. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

That was pretty much my reaction as well. I know we've talked about it before on here, but I still find it weird how Avatar is one the all time top movies at the box office, but yet it doesn't seem to be that popular. They always make a big deal out of it when news about Avatar comes up, but the general reaction to it seems almost always be a giant collective shrug.

20. crookeddy

crookeddy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

They promised that it would be there at launch, and then delivered. I bet you a lot of people will be watching it to refresh themselves before Avatar 2 comes out next year.