News The Disney+ (The New Streaming Service) Thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Dec 22, 2018.

1. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I will be once we get to within a week or two of 2's release.

2. crookeddy

crookeddy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I wonder how they will be with extras for their newer movies... Will those be included, or will they remain as incentives to at least sell a few blu rays?

3. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't think I've ever seen a streaming service like this include any extras. The only time I've seen extras with a digital version is when you buy them.

4. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

I think it's fallen off the radar for a lot of people. Other franchises have replaced it-- like Marvel movies. I would even say it's not really a franchise--does 1 movie and a theme park ride make a movie a franchise? And, beyond the incredible digital landscapes and the 3D, was there a character that people latched onto? A ship? It's basically Aliens in design. The story is ok.

Maybe that will all change when the sequels come out.

5. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I am very curious to see what kind of reaction the first trailer for the second one gets.
    I think the biggest thing is the fact that until recently they didn't really do anything with it beyond the movie. It took 8 years for the Disney park attraction to open, and for the first standalone comic, and then another 2 before the first comic miniseries.
    Shortly after the movie came out Cameron had talked about writing a novel that would have gone even deeper into the worldbuilding for Pandora and it's inhabitants, but sadly that never ended up happening.

6. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Hell, that was my least favorite part of the film because the 3D shit gave me a headache (compare Gravity, where the 3D was used to enhance the film, not overwhelm it). The only good thing about that film is that it's pretty. That's it.

7. kitik

kitik Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

They really seemed to want to emphasize that Avatar would be available in all 5 launch territories, US, Canada, Netherlands, Australia, and New Zealand. (With those last two obviously waiting til the 19th.)

I look forward to seeing what differences pop up in different countries.

8. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Avatar was an event movie that didn't try to be anything but a fun roller-coaster ride with an anti-colonial, pro-environmental message slapped on the front, and that was all well and good IMO.

Whether it has the chops to sustain a franchise remains to be seen, but James Cameron has a track record of breaking records, so I'm not about to bet against him just yet.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
    Seven of Five likes this.
  9. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

10. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's just one ad only when you first sign up, so that's not to bad.

11. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

12. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I believe the Shout Factory App has some commentaries.

13. kitik

So they just announced this morning that Avengers Endgame will be available on launch day next week, instead of the originally planned release in December.

14. Professor Zoom

Oh, wow. That's cool.

*starts wondering how long my netflix account will remain active.*

15. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I subscribe to Hulu, Netlfix, Amazon Prime, CBS AA and I'll be adding Disney+ next week, and at this point if I get rid of any of them it'll probably be Netflix. A lot of the acquired stuff is going to start moving over to the studio specific services, and with it's price now, I'm just not sure if I'm I like the stuff that will be staying enough to justify the price. Stranger Things and Lost In Space are the big two of their originals I watch, and I can always just get them on Blu Ray if I want to watch them.

Professor Zoom likes this.
  16. Professor Zoom

I think Netflix is more vulnerable to the streaming wars than most people think. The other companies that are coming up with streaming services don't have the debt and they also have the back catalog of material. HBOmax is expensive, but, they have a lot of stuff. Just like Disney +.

There aren't many shows on netflix I'm passionate about. Lost in Space, yeah. But, I still haven't watched Jessica Jones or Daredevil season 3, and I really liked those shows. GLOW season 3, meh. So... yeah.

17. kitik

Doesn't Netflix have something like $12 billion in debt or something insane like that?

18. Professor Zoom

I'm not sure if it's that high, last I heard it was 5 or 6 billion. The challenge for them is revenue. Disney and Warners can stick their movies in a movie theater and sell merchandise on a grand scale, whereas Netflix only has subscribers... (yes, yes, they sell some merchandise on some shows... but, I could build rooms from the shit Disney sells.) And Amazon Prime could probably be a loss leader for Amazon they make so much money from the store.

I don't know how Netflix doesn't start raising their rates.

19. crookeddy

crookeddy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Amazon makes most of it's money from AWS these days, and they are usually operating at a loss overall as a company (but only because of profit re-investment)

20. cylkoth

cylkoth Commodore Commodore

Netflix has been the victim of some deliberately, twisted/shoddy news coverage from the media/entertainment/business industry press. Netflix' many rivals have forwarded this false narrative to manufacture the impression that NF is being fiscally irresponsible and "the bubble will burst/the sky is falling". And the media laps it up and regurgitates it without a care.

In short, Netflix' rivals have lumped the company's (yearly) debt obligations into one titanic sum in order to claim that they're gonna go down in a blaze. The payments on the bonds they've taken out won't actually be due for several years-and it won't be the entire $12 billion at once. Installment payments is how they'll pay it off. And they make more than enough money to do that.

Bob Iger didn't sit at his desk and write a check for $73 billion to Rupert Murdoch, who took it and cashed it and then went out and bought a bucket of hot wings. The financial institution handling the sale of 20th Century Fox' assets is being paid in installments...Because Disney doesn't have $73 billion to shell out in one single payment. Same with ATT not having $85 billion sitting around in the bank to buy Time Warner.

None of the press has screeched about these 2 companies piling up insane debt levels as they have with Netflix, because there is no motive to portray them as being reckless and irresponsible.
    Netflix however, must be excoriated for doing the exact same thing many other companies have done for decades. Because they're Netflix. And Netflix is bad.