The DEADPOOL Movie Anticipation Thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Roshi, Mar 27, 2015.

1. Serial thread killer

Serial thread killer Vice Admiral Premium Member

My brother also thought Blind Al was played by Nichols.:lol:

2. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Thought the movie was pretty entertaining, even if it wasn't quite as crazy or outrageous as I was kinda expecting and hoping it would be. Even with all the cussing and nudity, it still felt a bit too much like a standard Marvel superhero movie to me, with the same generic villains and familiar origin story. And to me it just didn't feel nearly as bold and daring as something like the first Kick-Ass, with it's Hitgirl slicing people's throats and calling people "c--ts", and with it's action that actually felt shocking and violent.

The movie was still fun and had some good laughs in it, but hopefully for the sequel they can dial things up even further and take some more risks with it.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2016
  3. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

KickAss was pretty new with its high amount of violence and cussing, that going even further is going into slasher gore horror territory, and no one wants that. This was good enough for me.

4. Gryffindorian

Gryffindorian Vice Admiral Admiral

Thanks. I should've checked imdb first. ;)

5. Chekov's Phaser

Chekov's Phaser Waiting to be relevant. Fleet Captain

Exactly how I felt. It wasn't anything revolutionary. Pretty standard origin story. Not that any of that means I didn't enjoy it a lot, but I didn't go away from it thinking I saw the second coming of superhero movies. And while it had some extremely funny moments, I wasn't laughing out loud all the time like a lot of you. That could be the other movie goers in my theater were not all that boisterous.

However it's a movie that I think I'd like better the second time when the hype is gone.

I did love all of the fourth wall breaking. There was one moment that I laughed the loudest
    When Deadpool goes to Xavier's school and comments on how strange it is that in such a large school, he keeps only seeing those two X-Men. And then breaks the fourth wall complaining about Fox being too cheap to afford any more!

6. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

It's not that Kick-Ass got there first, or is more of a slasher movie, I just think the director of that movie managed to make the action feel a lot more shocking and brutal and, well, fun.

7. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

I think that was my favorite "fourth wall" moment too.

Chekov's Phaser likes this.
  8. Awesome Possum

Awesome Possum Moddin' Admiral

I really loved the reference to Prof. Xavier himself.

F. King Daniel likes this.
  9. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

Not adjusted for inflation, Deadpool has already outgrossed The Wolverine and X-Men: First Class. We should be getting Deadpool & Cable and X-Force pretty soon.

10. Corran Horn

Corran Horn Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, that was my favorite.

11. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

It was definitely weighted towards the safe side, but the only thing that really bothered me was how toned down his disfigurement is. He looked like Ryan Reynolds with some skin-deep burns that healed badly. Some foundation and a wig and I wouldn't look twice at him on the street. Certainly no one is going to be nauseated at the sight of him.

12. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

I loved this movie!

Deadpool just beat ALL past X-men movies with 135 million expected for the first three days, and 150m expected for the four day opening. X-men The Last Stand is now the runner up at 101 million opening weekend! Pretty Crazy!

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/franchises/chart/?id=xmen.htm!

13. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Saw it yesterday and really enjoyed it. Was worried it'd be a total disaster, but it was a good film under all the swearing and toilet humour. This film will be remembered.
    A very nervous Wade taking it up the ass from Veronica was my biggest laugh. That's true love!

shapeshifter likes this.
  14. Hugo Rune

Hugo Rune Vice Admiral Admiral

I must admit, I found that underneath all the R-Rated material, it was a mishmash of a rather generic origin story, some forced Marvel continuity and yet another dull villain. However, what was clear was everyone involved was really giving their all - even Ed Skrein, lumbered with the standard Marvel "I'm here cos the hero needs SOMEONE to square off against in a one to one at the end of the film" villain.

Miller directs with gusto, the sheer volume of one liners is, frankly, almost unbearable (but thankfully more land than flop), Reynolds is trying to make up for 10 years of films he didn't really want to be in (but pay-checks are nice) and the smaller scale was nice to see in an ever-expanding universe of "biggerfastermoremoremore".

Still, 'Pool and Vanessa's reunion is a trite "save the girl" moment (with a quick fix for something that frankly Wade should have got a whole lot more shit for), T-J Millers "sidekick" was typically where the humour fell flat for me (seriously, Dopinder IS the sidekick and should remain so for the rest of 'Pools' cinematic run), and the generic revenge plot didn't click with me.

But, holy-moley, did I giggle like a schoolgirl at the endless quips and inventive violence, specifically:
    • 'Pools three destruction of three limbs - All the dinosaurs feared the T-Rex
    • The Jared Subway joke aimed at the Recruiter (Agent Smith)
    • Bad Deadpool... Good Deadpool
    • Whose Kitty Litter did I just shit in?
    • You're going to die... in FIVE MINUTES
    • I bet it feels huge in this hand
    Yes, it's puerile and at the lowest-common-denominator level, but the energy and salesmanship on all of this was second to none.

So, I guess enthusiasm and sheer force of will, coupled with some stylish direction and a fun, could-be-unique hero, bring this up out of the doldrums of tired superhero cliches. Now the hard work is done, perhaps in the sequel the true uniqueness of the character, and his bit of the universe, can be explored. Deadpool doesn't need hundreds of millions of extra dollars, it just needs the execs to give a little more trust in the creators to build on what this film has laid down and dig deeper into the weird world of the 'Pool/

Hugo - 6/10 - fun and frothy, but needed more time in story development

15. Csalem

Csalem Commodore Commodore

When I saw that scene I knew it was going to be a special film!
    I am not familiar with the comic books but I thoroughly enjoyed the movie. I know some reviewers were commenting that the plot is a bit weak and not much happens but that was not a problem for me. Got to spend more time with the character rather than having hours of things falling from the sky.

It was also a bit of a touching love story (and I feel odd saying that...)

16. Gryffindorian

Gryffindorian Vice Admiral Admiral

From an LGBT perspective, that particular scene didn't phase me at all. Maybe because I'm so accustomed to seeing it all the time. Even so, seeing a heterosexual couple's love scene doesn't necessarily have a wow effect on me.

17. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

Considering it doesn't take place in the MCU, that is an odd complaint.

18. Chekov's Phaser

Chekov's Phaser Waiting to be relevant. Fleet Captain

I think he means the X-Men movies, which is still Marvel, just not Marvel studios. I guess he meant Fox's Marvel movies

19. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

And they trimmed $7M from the budget at the last minute before filming. That's why Wade forgets his bag in the cab.
    http://io9.gizmodo.com/the-makers-of-deadpool-had-to-slash-7-million-from-the-1758147495

20. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Deadpool should have totally broken the fourth wall again by looking directly at the camera to tell the audience that FOX had cut the budget by 7 million of his movie right before the final battle started!

They could have even flashed a fake email address onscreen for fans to email complaints to FOX.