Terminator-210 "Strange Things Happen at the One Two Point" - D/G-SPO

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by nx1701g, Nov 24, 2008.

?

Grade "Strange Things Happen at the One Two Point"

1. I'll be back. (Excellent)

34.1%
  2. Come with me if you want to live. (Above Average)

52.3%
  3. Thank you for explaining. (Average)

13.6%
  4. Hasta la vista, Baby. (Below Average)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. You are TERMINATED. (Failure)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Re: Terminator-210 "Strange Things Happen at the One Two Point" - D/G-

A very good episode of a very good and enjoyable show overall, so far.

Didn't see the twist with Riley coming.
    And I do believe she is a human from the future. Not a Terminator like Cam, since 1) Cameron would have realized what she was and would have destroyed her 2) I doubt Jessie would work with a Terminator

And she must be from the future since among other things she said something like "This world has too many mirrors"

Nice to see Cromartie return even as John Henry.

Summer Glau was hotter than usual. Headey wasn't bad herself.
    And I really like BAG so far. Who would have thought he was so good..huh

2. misskim86

misskim86 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Average at best. I think they are getting WAY too many people from the future, it's reminding me of the South Park episode where everyone came from the future to find jobs.

Anyway the show hasn't been the same since they stopped with the high school stuff, I wish they would bring it back that was gold.

3. John Picard

John Picard Vice Admiral Admiral

I agree about too many people coming from the future. IIRC, in the original Terminator movie, it required a lot of energy to send someone back in time. Energy that the resistance had very little to spare.

4. Ryan8bit

Ryan8bit Commodore Commodore

Yeah, that title intrigues me. Good observation about "this world", and I'm sure you and most people online are right in the supposition that she is from the future. I just don't like it and don't find it logical. She fits in way too well, and this latest development seems like a way to spice up her character for shock value vs. being a sensible plot, especially since the intent was that the character be someone who is grounded and unaware of Judgment Day. Even though I'm not really fond of her character, I would've rather kept her as not having some secret agenda. It seems like everyone has a secret agenda, and I just don't like that method of storytelling. Riley didn't really need that, and all of her cultural references and ability to adapt to it seem too good of a cover for her to be from the future.

5. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

^ I agree with you. For me this seems like not something to spice up the character (well partially) but more a "Fuck You" to Fox. Fox had mandated that she be separate from John's Terminator life and now she's an integral part of it.

6. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

Well some bad news: Terminator lost roughly 700,000 viewers from the previous episode.

7. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

They claim this was always the goal, and that the actress was told before they recorded her first scene about her secret agenda.

That would explain why Skynet has spent as many resources this season on crippling or co-opting Weaver as they have on counter-resistance efforts. She doesn't seem to be operating with the support of the home office. Of course, neither was Cromartie, apparently, since he caught wind of the Ellisonator and decided that whatever Skynet hoped to accomplish by replacing Ellison, it couldn't have been as important as Cromartie's plan to let Ellison lead him to John Connor.

Actually, come to think of it, that seems unusually independently-minded for a Terminator. Maybe his chip's write-protection was turned off, either deliberately by Skynet to improve his odds of success, or as a result of damage after he was first blown up.

8. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

Going with this I was just thinking of something. What if the Ellisonator's mission was directed mainly to infiltrate Zeira Corp in an effort to stop Weaver?

9. zephramc

zephramc Commodore Commodore

I arrived at the same belief for the most part in regard to the three processors.

Of course this is only speculation, but think that the second and third processors (if they do indeed exist) are ancillary devices, much like a GPU in modern day PCs. The main CPU would offload tasks to either of the secondary processors (sensory data, targeting, body movements, whatever...).

I'm assuming that one secondary CPU exists somewhere in the torso as it was able to operate the headless Cromartie body once the primary CPU in the skull activated it, as seen in season 1. No guess as to where the third processor resides.

As far as Cameron being incompetent, I don't think so. She would be aware of the other processors, however as they only serve to augment the primary CPU, there's no need to remove them. Furthermore, it's likely that the terminator can function without the secondary processors as long as the primary is in-place, so why bother with #2 and #3 at all. It's also likely that all the terminator's programming, mission data, historic data (memories), as well as higher neural-net functions (such as learning, reasoning, etc...) exist only in the primary CPU. Once you've removed it, you've essentially killed that terminator. Only the original or another T-888 primary CPU could reactivate the "chipless" terminator body (or in the case of this episode, an infant AI).

10. MNM

MNM Captain Captain

Writers always say this though, regardless of whether its actually true.

11. Booji

Booji Commodore Premium Member

above average
    this was a cool episode. certainly didn't see that Riley/Jesse twist coming. That being said, the amount of peeps from the future is getting stupid. I love how they brought back Cromartie. John wasn't really emo this week. yaaaaaaaaaaaay!!!! i surprised how quickly they killed off the shrink. I gotta agree with the complaints about Ellison being naive in regards to Weaver. If that doesn't get rectified next week, I'll be a bit disappointed. I do not want to see him becoming a religious wakjob either. Been there already. Also, all the dames seemed extra hot this week. That is always good.

12. BenRoethig

BenRoethig Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think you have two different skynet directives in conflict here. Cromartie's is to terminate John Connor. According to his programming, there is no higher objective than terminating John Connor. Skynet would not be able to change this after he was sent back, so Cromartie would have to beleive that whatever mission skynet had sent the Ellison terminator would be secondary to his own.

13. Wouter2

Wouter2 Captain Captain

But there is a hint that it indeed is through, in that very first meeting. Remember that Riley used a very odd turn of speech, that caused John to remark "people don't say that"? And she did throw herself at John, that is entirely consistent with this reveal. When she first came over, she even "build him a protective robot" in his bedroom. That scene gets new meaning, now. I think the writers aren't lying.

That the viewer numbers are decreasing further is an injustice to the quality of the show, IMO. Tastes of the general public seem to differ alot from mine. Or that football season is just that good at attracting viewers, I suppose.

14. oojason

oojason Commander Red Shirt

15. Siwilliams

Siwilliams Fleet Captain

Another good episode, oh well for the ratings though

16. Tim

Tim Vice Admiral Admiral

Shades of Twelve Monkeys. :techman:

Hmm...no Summer in a black dress. :(

17. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

I'm hoping Dancing with the Stars being over may help somewhat. I'm hoping anyway.

18. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

you what three read dots means to me?

Predators.

You have a predator turn up in the final scene to the last episode and...

Just see how long this show will be cancelled as people figure out that the next step is to bring in the Aliens.

19. Siwilliams

Siwilliams Fleet Captain

Still the move to Friday is not good. Any idea how the season 1 dvds have sold?

20. highlander

highlander Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That would be a fan-boy wet dream!!! Terminators vs Predators vs Aliens. That would be a real sci-fi battle royale!!!:evil: