Terminator-210 "Strange Things Happen at the One Two Point" - D/G-SPO

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by nx1701g, Nov 24, 2008.

?

Grade "Strange Things Happen at the One Two Point"

1. I'll be back. (Excellent)

34.1%
  2. Come with me if you want to live. (Above Average)

52.3%
  3. Thank you for explaining. (Average)

13.6%
  4. Hasta la vista, Baby. (Below Average)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. You are TERMINATED. (Failure)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Ryan8bit

Ryan8bit Commodore Commodore

Re: Terminator-210 "Strange Things Happen at the One Two Point" - D/G-

Ah, the most convenient plot device.

Even still, it doesn't really make sense. Not that a lot of this show really does though. Consider Ellison, digging up Cromartie and then giving his body to someone he barely knows, who is very secretive on top of that. Then she reveals they're working on a revolutionary AI that they've even put in Cromartie's body.... uh, dude, when are you going to wise up?

Also, how dumb of the producers to make such a big deal out of a character dying only for him to be resurrected in a couple episodes. Sure, it's supposedly not Cromartie's chip, but that doesn't really matter.

2. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

^ Ellison believed that Weaver was working on a way to stop them, he didn't know about the AI until recent episodes.

It's not Cromartie, it's John Henry. It's another grandfather paradox. I'm thinking that Turk will be able to penetrate the last remaining CPU storage device and find information about the future war. It'll use this data and become the Skynet we all know of from the future. I think that Ellison may be the replacement for Andy Goode in this storyline and tries to convince Turk not to attack, but it does. Or Ellison may have begun to consider that Judgment Day is inevitable or the only way. Which is possible. There are religious groups based upon bringing about the end of the world.

As for Derek/Riley - they have not met each other on the show. They have been very careful for these two not to see each other in an episode. Remember too that Derek hasn't been staying at the house so he may not have ran into her during one of her sleepovers with John.

3. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

Good episode though not as good as recent weeks. Kind of confusing as to what's going on with Sarah. Liked the Derek/Jesse/Riley storyline though. Glad Cromartie is back.

Sarah beating the shit out of that guy at the end was so T2 Sarah. Hell, in that scene she ceased to be Lena Headley and I really thought I was seeing Linda Hamiliton.

4. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

Interesting thing that was proposed on Terminator Wiki:

The three dots could relate to Sarah's Cancer.

5. LutherSloan

LutherSloan Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Great episode. I liked the twist that Riley was actually a plant by Derek's future g/f in order to change what she considers the 'future'. Doubtful that she can change things anyway, especially if last week's episode is any indication.

I liked the last part of the episode as well. It does certainly raise the possibility of a predestination paradox or something of that nature. I was also wondering how they were going to keep Garret Dillahunt on the show with Cromartie essentially dead.

6. highlander

highlander Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

OK I justed watched this episode on DVR and it was hella cool. The new angle with Riley and Jesse was totally unexpected. And the combining of John Henry (love the name BTW) and Cromartie was a very nice twist. And as said above the bat shit crazy Sarah was great!!!! Sorry I missed it live but was hanging with some girls from work. Real girls vs TV Cameron it was a tough choice but well.......... Can't wait for next week!!!:techman:

7. Tim

Tim Vice Admiral Admiral

Frankly, that just sounds like wild, grasping speculation akin to what Sarah was doing in the episode.

But this would necessitate the presence of redundant CPUs in the endoskeleton. So far on screen (ignoring the fantasizations of the production team), it's seemed pretty clear that there is only one CPU in the skull and that removal of that CPU disables the terminator. I suppose there might be primitive processors in the body (since Cromartie's time-traveling head was able to command the rest of the skeleton to assemble and home to the missing noggin), but higher brain functions have consistently been exclusive to the skull's CPU--even for an advanced model like Cameron.

8. HighteeHeller

HighteeHeller Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You can`t be blamed.

9. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

Melanoma presents with the development of abnormal growths

I go with the designer of the T-888 (which is different than the T-800's design) and believe that if they say there are three processors then there are until something on screen contradict's it. There are, if you look closely, what appear to be three CPU ports on the skull.

10. John Picard

John Picard Vice Admiral Admiral

Excellent episode, and our favorite antagonist has returned! :techman:

11. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

I liked the idea of Riley wanting to stick by John no matter what. Too bad it's a set-up.

12. CommodoreKong

CommodoreKong Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm very happy that Cromartie is back (and I just realized he was on The 4400, I totally forgot about that). I can't wait to see what they do with his character now that he has the John Henry AI in him.

It's also pretty interesting that Riley and Jesse are actually on a mission from the future, I'm interested to see where they take that storyline.

13. Tim

Tim Vice Admiral Admiral

True, but the lesions don't present in groups of three. Connecting the three dots with melanoma is tenuous at best. Further, if radiation exposure is the suspected cause, I would expect a presentation of bone marrow or thyroid cancer.

I guess we have a difference of philosophy as everything in the show points to their being a single CPU. The three-CPU theory would also make Cameron quite incompetent in her duties, as she has always pulled only one CPU from a T-888--like Vick--to "kill" it. I suppose one compromise would be that the redundant processors have reduced computing power and perhaps only serve in a support role to the primary CPU. Thus, without the main CPU, the terminator would cease to function, but backups of important data would still exist. Still, such a conception would make Cameron sloppy at best--even before suffering damage in the Jeep explosion.

Ultimately, I suppose these questions will be answered for us as the season continues, and I look forward to that. :)

14. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well if I wanted an AI to have a human body that wasn't Lexa Doig, I'd want it to look just like a wanted serial killer.

15. NX74205

NX74205 Captain Captain

After this episode, i must say that Riley's character just got 10x more interesting. Before I could care less, now though I will probably parse every scene she is in.

This twist was so abrupt, I wonder if the writers changed the storyline midway through after they saw how unpopular Riley was among the fan base.

16. MNM

MNM Captain Captain

Not for me, I still despise the character.

I liked aspects of the show tonight, but Jesse is still not a character who interests me, I find myself bored when she is on screen, I just dont care why she has come back in time.

17. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

I don't think it'll be a problem since Cromartie is locked away in a secured bunker below the HQ of a multinational corporation.

18. Ryan8bit

Ryan8bit Commodore Commodore

Then Ellison is dumb. He knows that Sarah and Co. will get rid of Cromartie, so why interfere? Did he honestly think that Weaver would reverse engineer Cromartie just to be able to fight the robots? Someone who is very mysterious and has proven that she likes to play little games with him? Someone who isn't forthright about all the technology her company does? Someone who owns a technology company!? Would he trust her enough so much that he would lie to the Connors about it and try to defy them? Enough to risk his own life?

Now that he knows about the AI, John Henry, and even its placement into Cromartie's body, that should throw the red flag to him, yet somehow I still see the wool being pulled over his eyes in upcoming episodes.

I think Skynet has already exhibited some of the nature of what Skynet could be without Cromartie. Plus, I don't believe in any kind of backup storage just because it makes Cameron look dumb.

It's bad enough that the show talks about religion as much as it does, but to go so far as making him some sort of fundamentalist with a screw loose again makes him dumb. I can accept that he is a religious person, but not a religious nut. Of course, the writing does kind of lean that way. I mean, John Henry should learn the ten commandments? Give me a break.

Interesting, I hadn't considered that. I guess you just kind of assume that with both being around that they'd run into each other at some point. If not, Derek would have to at least know about her, and don't you think he'd be the slightest bit curious? Also, Riley shouldn't risk being seen by Derek if they actually know each other in the future.

19. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

^ Also, something I noted on rewatching the episode, Riley mentions that THIS world has a lot of mirrors. It was something that I didn't think of during the episode, but it somewhat supports her being from the future. Then again maybe she's an alien (I am making a stupid joke based upon an upcoming title being Earthlings Welcome Here).

20. BenRoethig

BenRoethig Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

For someone who's supposed to be creating skynet, Weaver seems to go out of her way to teach her AI rules. I'm not so sure that John Henry isn't being created as a rival to skynet by either by the resistance who somehow reprogrammed a T-1001 or a group of machines with a different agenda than skynet.