Spoilers "Superman & Lois" Season 1 spoiler discussion!

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by The Realist, Feb 22, 2021.

1. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I think the idea was that he was lost in thought reminiscing about Ma Kent, so he was slow to notice.

FreezeC77 likes this.
  2. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Lois is sometimes the key to Superman turning evil if she dies, in the comics and other media.

Since the Lois of Captain Luthor's universe married him instead, I'm guessing Clark never found someone else to keep him anchored, or he did and they died, or someone else close to him died.

I think Lois marrying Luthor in the other reality is the key to him turning in that reality, and I think Luthor will stop trying to stop Superman when he realizes this.

3. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

Hoechlin really makes one hell of a Superman, i really like how he can inject so much humanity into the role ( it's also the writers but the actor brings it to life). His dorkiness at times really brings it home as opposed to when he's all serious Superman, i think that's why Superman works so well because Clark Kent is who he really is.

It's nice to see the slow burn approach of building up the greater mystery and the various storylines that are developing while devoting most of the time of an episode to Kent family life and all the problems they're having - that is, as i have said before, the focal point of the show and still is engaging.

A bit sad now that we're taking a 6 week break now, i don't know how studios plan these schedules and what factors in them ( Covid might have played havoc with any kind of normal production) but i don't like shows taking big breaks as they are just developing.

4. The Realist

The Realist Vice Admiral Admiral

He always has. I've been a huge fan of his in the role since his first moments onscreen in Supergirl, and I stuck to that initial impression through all the backlash against him that followed. It's very satisfying to see the praise being heaped on him and his show now.

DarKush likes this.
  5. Christopher

From what I hear, it was a COVID-related incident that forced them to shut down production for a while. So they didn't have a choice.

6. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Was there backlash over Hoechlin other than a little Internet kvetching because a girl knocked Superman down?

7. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

I think that was done as it was Supergirl’s show and they needed to make her look stronger. Now that Superman has his own show that shouldn’t be a issue now.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2021
  8. Serveaux

Shouldn't have been an issue to begin with. It was unbelievably childish.

USS Firefly, Anwar, Skipper and 2 others like this.
  9. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

I didn’t have a issue but having Superman constantly bringing it up was a bit much.

10. Jayson1

Jayson1 Fleet Admiral Admiral

That was basically it. I think everyone liked the actor. Just the character wasn't treated with the reverence one would expect from the Superhero who started it all. Jason

11. The Realist

Well, there was also a bunch of horseshit during the Arrowverse's "Crisis on Infinite Earths" comparing him unfavorably to Routh (mostly based on the oh-so-important issue that Routh is a physically larger guy). Basically, ever since that fight with Kara, Hoechlin's Supes was despised by a significant portion of the fandom. But he's getting the last laugh now. :techman:

Ovation and Nerys Myk like this.
  12. Christopher

As I've said many times before, it is simplistic to think that the only way to win a fight is to be stronger. Alex Danvers routinely outfights human and alien men who are bigger and stronger than she is, because she's specially trained in techniques for doing just that. And Alex taught Kara how to fight.

"Constantly?" There were a couple of occasions where he praised Kara's abilities relative to his own, but that is absolutely in character for Superman. That is what he does. He builds other people up. He makes them feel good about themselves. It's not about whether he's literally weaker, because he's too mature to care about that kind of juvenile competition. It's about his desire to encourage and support others.

I'd call it a small but loud portion. It's always a small contingent that makes a lot more noise than everyone else and pretends that makes them the majority. But toxic online bashers are an infinitesimal fraction of the actual viewing audience. I think the overall reaction to Hoechlin has always been strongly positive.

13. Jayson1

Jayson1 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I still think it comes mostly for how he was used overall. On Smallville Kara was more skilled in her powers and it was even stated females advance faster. She even tried to teach Clark to fly and he couldn't do it. Yet nobody cared because it was his show and thus people felt the show respected the character. On this show though he wasn't a regular. Only time you see him is to get his ass kicked. Thus no fun cool Superman moments. Which is something that will bug people usually on the level of how much they like the character or even care about any of the CW stuff. Me personally I don't think Supes just works as a secondary character with maybe the one exception being Batman because he is the only one on Supes level in terms of being Iconic and popular. Maybe Wonder Woman as well. I felt they nailed the Clark part of the character in terms of personality. Just not the whole character. To be fair that was still 50% better than Man of Steel did. Now they have gotten the entire character right IMO on his new show. Ja5

14. Serveaux

How many, exactly?

TREK_GOD_1 likes this.
  15. Skipper

Skipper Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

There is on this same forum a thread created by someone only to say that Hoechlin is not his "Superman" (without elaborate any further).

Last edited: Mar 27, 2021
  16. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Commodore Commodore

Hhhmm LOL I been avoiding that thread with little reason other than I have no requirement to read everything. Than I click on your link out of mild curiosity and see it starts with them saying Kirk Alyn is their Superman yet they have never seen his serials and I stopped looking right away. Ok plus your comment of their opinion on Tyler means I had been smart to never look.

I am not trying to win a contest or prove anything - but most likely I am the most knowledgeable Superman fan on this forum. But I rarely comment on the subject. Largely because Superman has become a religion. With many denominations and sects. Everyone thinks they are uniquely qualified to define who the “real Superman” is. Which usually means going to the sacred texts and pointing out the “right” and “wrong” way to portray the character. Like all religions everyone has their own personal interpretations of what are the correct sources (comics, other media, etc) and cherry pick what suits their faith and ignore the rest.

Tyler Hoechlin has joined a long history of very solid actors who have played Superman. To me it was obvious from his first Supergirl appearance. But I was also very aware that he was just an occasional guest star on someone else’s show. Anyone who feels Superman needs to brag to his female cousin about how strong he is does not understand most versions of the character.

Now that Tyler has his own series he has not only fulfilled that early promise he showed but surpassed it to becoming one of the best.

Skipper likes this.
  17. Christopher

Nor do they understand what strength even is. Truly strong people don't need to boast about their strength, and they don't feel threatened by others' strength.

You're right that there are many versions of Superman, but the foundation of the character is the embodiment of the idea that strength exists, not to dominate others or aggrandize oneself, but to protect and support others. As I understand it, Siegel & Shuster made a deliberate choice to refute the Nietzschean idea of the "ubermensch" as beyond caring about morality or compassion by depicting a character who had superior power but used it only to help others and defend what was right.

Dick Whitman likes this.
  18. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Commodore Commodore

I agree. The problem is fans often view Elseworlds versions like Injustice as in character. Because those presented as nightmare scenarios in which Superman changes who he is. As much as Superman loves Lois, hard to accept him using her memory to do horrible things.

I think it’s completely different in alternate histories where Kal-El was not raised by the Kent’s on Earth. That means he is not Clark and not Superman either. He may have the powers but not the ethics that name invokes and symbolizes.

19. The Realist

I'd encourage you, as a fellow Superman fan, to explore that thread. It may have started off inauspiciously, but it was quickly reclaimed and rehabilitated, and became an evergreen topic for general Superman discussion. Lots of great posts, videos, etc. in there.

Skipper likes this.
  20. Skipper

Skipper Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This. After the original poster refused to elaborate any further we simply hijacked this thread for everything Superman-related. I believe he was just trolling, but then he has been effectively counter-trolled.