Spoilers STD 1x03 Preview [and for the rest of the season]

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Kane_Steel, Sep 25, 2017.

1. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

I think all the arguing that has happened on this point rests on the following:

The point of argument is not whether you were correct about the act of "hiding the final design" (though there is secondary quibbling about what constitutes "final design") but rather the motive to which you ascribed the "hiding". Nothing about the "final reveal" and its timing supports the notion the showrunners hated or lacked confidence in the design.

The last bit is where the bulk of disagreement lies as both the timing of the reveal AND the motives for the delay are read as part and parcel of ONE prediction made earlier in the summer.

I suspect half the thread posts wouldn't be here if you'd said "I was right about the timing of the reveal" (a defensible statement) but also said "but as to motive, not enough info".

Back on topic: this preview is more compelling than anything I've seen (including the first two episodes). I hope the show lives up to its promise.

2. Rahul

Rahul Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

To go back to this one last time:

Previously, we had ONE(!) shot in the trailers of the Discovery, where she goes to warp:
    [​IMG]
    This model was clearly unfinished, and ugly as f--k. They were HIDING it, at least never giving us a clear look, because they -not unsurprisingly- weren't confident in it. It looked as bad and unfinished as the teaser version a year ago. And they didn't wanted to go through the same ridicule for their main ship a second time.

In the new trailer, there is the very same shot, but with the now finished CGI-model. I don't have it, but it looks somewhat like that:

[​IMG]

This is a finished CG-model. This is something that you can show around. But they needed this long to get here, because they clearly weren't content with how it looked before, in fact, just a few month ago, when the first few trailers dropped.

That was my point back then:
    -They didn't had a finished CG-model they liked
    -They knew the fans woudln't like what they had back then
    -They clearly tweaked it right up until the last minute possible - the premiere
    -until then: They were hiding every possible clear shot of it back then, instead only showing us "touched up" graphics, concept designs, and heavily 'shopped posters and toys. (and this one shot)

Because back then, they knew what they had back then, was an ugly-as-fuck, unfinished, un-conceptualised CG-model where nobody even knew which nacelle configuration will be the final one. NOW they have a finished one. It's still not perfect, it's still a bit weird looking ship. But it's a finished CGI-model of a ship. And they needed the time right up until now, the premiere, to get at least that.

Now was the premiere. Whatever they had at this point will be the final, finished version as is presented to the public. But until that very moment, the very premiere, they didn't show in-series footage of the ship, because they were still fiddling with it. Because they weren't content with how it looked at that point. And that's why they couldn't use it as a central point for their marketing campaign, instead of e.g. Voyager, which had a finished model of the ship very early before filming, and was showing their cool new ship around to gather interest for their show.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
  3. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

I'm sorry, but unless and until someone from the production makes a clear statement about "lack of confidence" in the design, your point remains an unsubstantiated speculation, and nothing more.

mattyhugh, Albinator, NOVE9 and 4 others like this.
  4. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

I see no evidence of hiding the ship. I see evidence of the use of footage that isn't final, nothing more. And it's a forgone conclusion that unfinished footage could not be used.

5. Rahul

Yep. The footage wasn't final. But that was because the CGI-model wasn't final!
    At a point during production when it really should have been.

6. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Must be nice having literally nothing else to do.

Thefallguy likes this.
  7. Rahul

The shots of the Shenzhou weren't final either - you see her coming through the clouds looked much different than in the first trailer. But the basic design was! That was why they were able to show it around: Because it wouldn't change much between then and the premiere. The Discovery on the other hand was subjected to MUCH change over time. Hell, early production videos show even the consoles of the bridge with different design variations of the ship (forward pointing nacelles, cut-outs, etc...)
    That was the one, whole, single and only point of mine: They never had a finalized version of their main ship during pre-production, right up untill they coulcn't hide it anymore, when they showed the first 3 episodes to the press.

8. Rahul

Ah! I see the argument now goes:

"Your prediction is clearly wrong"
    -> prediction comes true
    "You obviously were predicting something different"
    -> proving it was correct
    "Haha, you're wasting your time arguing stuff here!"

That's a moving of the goal posts if I ever saw one.
    As if you weren't using your spare time to discuss new Trek either:rolleyes:

9. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

And The Motion Picture's master print was so new off the printing press it was still wet when it arrived at the cinema's resulting in the permanent water blur damage to the background we still have in the movie now. What's your point?

10. The Super Brando

The Super Brando Commander Red Shirt

What's happening on the Discovery? They're really creating a mystery about something unique and important happening on the Destiny, and I haven't seen it discussed much. What's the weird blue stuff? What's going on with the crew, especially that shot of the woman lying in her bed? How does all this effect the Klingon war?

11. Rahul

New subspace-mushroom powered warp drive. Which will be used by Cpt. Lorca to try to genocide the klingons. Really.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
  12. Rahul

From: https://www.trekbbs.com/threads/how-positive-are-you-about-discovery-now.289012/page-47

13. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

That trailer look excellent and parts of it should of been used more in the original marketing. It makes the first two episodes, which really should be a combined singular episodes and not listed as 1x01 & 1x02 feel more like a BSG esq mini series back door pilot rather than part of a single season's storyline.

It really looks like the true Star Trek Discovery starts next week and thank god the show is on streaming because I really believe the two episodes we got would of seen a huge audience drop in the traditional model of network viewership. I really look forward to next week based off that trailer.

14. The Shrike

The Shrike Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I see Burnham as the Jaime Lannister character in this series. Villified by everyone for an action that had to be done. The only mistake she made was in not carrying out the attack.

15. Mel Tenorio

Mel Tenorio Lieutenant Red Shirt

Are we talking about the trailer at the end of S01E02? or am I missing something?

16. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

So there is a ship in this trailer that is the same class as the discovery, but isn’t the discovery, the registry doesn’t match it’s hard to make out, but it clearly doesn’t end in a 1, might be 1030

[​IMG]

also the first guy who speaks in the trailer is Elias Toufexis, AKA Adam Jensen from the newer Deus Ex games. He posted about it on twitter

Gonzo, Andru and Rahul like this.
  17. Ithekro

Ithekro Vice Admiral Admiral

I will bring up one more....what does the prediction get you? Nothing really. It does nothing. It proves nothing. No one really minded either. So what was the point?

It is good to see more of Starfleet, but also makes it likely that the says of the USS Enterprise being the only ship in the quadrant more likely as a fact....as the majority of the fleet was blown up or spending its time keeping the Klingons in check.

Also, could the Discover's new drives be the early dilithium crystal powered drives? I noticed that there were crystals fairly prominently during the opening title sequence. Would these be an upgrade of whatever the other ships have? Does this mean USS Enterprise is using inferior lithuim crystals at this point, or are the Constitutions also as highly advanced as the Crossfield-class starship?

18. Kenobiwan85

Kenobiwan85 Lieutenant Red Shirt

Here is the updated version of the shot from the trailers.

[​IMG]

These finished shots have really made me love the look of the Discovery.

Rahul likes this.
  19. mattman8907

mattman8907 Commodore Commodore

makes me wonder how a Discovery-era enterprise would look.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2017
  20. Spider

Spider Dirty Old Man Premium Member

Is it just me, or does this particular model not have the open spaces between the saucer sections? The shadows make it look like that area is filled in, and not open. Or I could just be really stoned.