Spoilers Star Trek: Strange New Worlds 1x03 - "Ghosts of Illyria"

Hit it!

• Total voters
From Ep1: "...we called it the second Civil War, then the Eugenics War and finally, just World War III"

Sounds to me like Pike is describing three separate wars. Otherwise it seems strange to keep renaming a war unless it went on for a really long time.
"... we called it the Kaiser's War, then the Great War, and finally, just World War I."
All the same war.

The date on the tab said 1992 to 1996. The years the war lasted.

That's too specific of a reference to be a coincidence.
A war named "Project Khan"? Catchy. :rolleyes:
No.

"... we called it the Kaiser's War, then the Great War, and finally, just World War I."
All the same war.

A war named "Project Khan"? Catchy. :rolleyes:
No.

Eh, I reckon it could go either way. It would seem to me that maybe Khan and his followers took advantage of the second Civil War to start their own shit?

The tab was probably data collected about Khan and his ilk during the EW, and Project Khan was probably about recreating them.
It's a funding report as of 7 June 1996. The tab is quite obviously part of the folder itself, and the end date reflects the date on the cover. If that isn't clear, I can't help you.
vlcsnap-2022-05-05-12h34m38s442.jpg

You have moved the Eugenics Wars into the 21st century, acknowledging they didn’t happen in the real ‘90s.

This is the hard thing about trying to be true to canon. Like the DS9 episode “Past Tense.” It’s weirdly prescient. It’s amazing how much they kind of get right. But yes, the Eugenics Wars were supposed to happen in the 1990s and most people’s experience was that is not what happened. You don’t want to get mad at reality for not comporting with Star Trek, but we sort of push things forward.

This is what they're doing. They're not confused or debating or hesitant about it. The Eugenics war is now in our future, as it should be.

Which would place the Eugenics war in our future.

I've never argued that point. I was only musing about whether they were talking about one war, or three wars.

Like if Khan started trouble during the second Civil War and they changed the name of the things to the Eugenics War, or if they were actually separate. I think it's pretty ambiguous, but probably not that important to the storyline.

So the Eugenics Wars continued after Khan and 84 of his genetically engineered super-people were launched out into space in 1996? Who else was left to fight it?

Memory-Alpha summarizes it best. The Eugenics Wars of 1992-96(the Great Wars referred to in ENT) were one specific set of conflicts that ended in the year 1996 with Khan and 72 of his Augment followers escaping and vanishing aboard the Botany Bay. There's another conflict involving genetic engineering and that is almost synonymous with the Third World War with the two intertwined and people like Colonel Green with his penchant for genetic purity involved. So every line of thinking is satisfied. Wars in the '90s, further eugenics research banned by international accords but resurfacing during the socioeconomic turmoil of the 2020s and leading into World War III.

Memory-Alpha summarizes it best. The Eugenics Wars of 1992-96(the Great Wars referred to in ENT) were one specific set of conflicts that ended in the year 1996 with Khan and 72 of his Augment followers escaping and vanishing aboard the Botany Bay. There's another conflict involving genetic engineering and that is almost synonymous with the Third World War with the two intertwined and people like Colonel Green with his penchant for genetic purity involved. So every line of thinking is satisfied. Wars in the '90s, further eugenics research banned by international accords but resurfacing during the socioeconomic turmoil of the 2020s and leading into World War III.
Now this makes sense! Much like WWII was generally accepted as the "sequel" to Germany's perceived "unfinished business" from WWI, it would follow that something would happen along similar lines with this timeline. I'm glad MA worked this out. The other rationalizations I've been seeing here recently are patently absurd.

Nope.

Pike laid it out, the show's producer confirmed it. They've moved the dates into the future.

Episode one of SNW. Episode 10 of the second year of Picard.

Next.
nope and nope. previous?

Episode 1 of this series. Pike said the instability in the United States came before the Eugenics wars. Showing footage from the Capitol insurrection that happened in the 21st century.
you do know that it's not our real world. you also know they mentioned no years in that episode ;)

Just watched this ep. I really liked it. As I've said before, THIS is the Trek I've been waiting for for a helluva long time.

Back