Star Trek: Starships Model/Magazine Subscription

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by trekker670, May 21, 2013.

1. dantini

dantini Commander Red Shirt

Perfect timing... Do you by any chance know why the T'Plana Hath model looks the way it does and what reference they used?

Last edited: Nov 2, 2019
  2. gaghyogi49

gaghyogi49 Commander Red Shirt

It's just like Ben says in the video, the model John Eaves has in his possession was used as a reference. Apart from that, I have no idea. This CG model has been in the making for ages.

dantini likes this.
  3. dantini

dantini Commander Red Shirt

I wonder what model that is... The "Legends in 3 Dimensions" model that Memory Alpha mentions and that was based on his original study model? That would explain all the missing surface details, but not the inaccurate shape and position of some of the hull panels.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 2, 2019
    Markonian likes this.
  4. gaghyogi49

I don't know what else was used as reference. I wasn't involved with this ship. We'll be able to get a better look at the CG model soon, as the ship is in the Federation members Shipyards book which will be released in two weeks:

https://www.amazon.com/Star-Trek-Sh...rds=star+trek+shipyards&qid=1572737628&sr=8-3

Markonian and 137th Gebirg like this.
  5. NCC-73515

NCC-73515 Vice Admiral Admiral

Could simply be a perspective vs isometric view problem.

I think it's still fine, actually gives it an organic look ;)

6. pst

pst Commodore Commodore

that was my thinking. it’s shot from a low angle with a wide lens, there’s all sorts of distortion of that can be attributed to the way it was filmed. especially back when CGI was still primitive. eaglemoss’ renders are rarely perfect, but it’s probably less imperfect than what that comparison indicates.

btw: US web shop was numerous preorders up (k’tinga XL, gold enterprise-D, stealth ship, discovery lander, etc) going forward as far as february.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2019
    NCC-73515 and 137th Gebirg like this.
  7. gaghyogi49

Yes, very much so. In the Memory Alpha article John Eaves himself is quoted as saying

"I had trapped myself with this design: from a three-quarter or top view I could draw it just fine. But I found it almost impossible to figure out how it would look in other angles, because all the bizarre compound curves had minds of their own-making accuracy insanely frustrating to achieve when I tried to put it on paper. It wound up being the hardest ship I'd ever drawn. I actually had to make a miniature of it just so I could have a reference to draw from."

It will be interesting to see if we finally get an explanation in the magazine how and why the ship ended up inside the Narada in the first nu-Trek film.

8. Markonian

Markonian Fleet Admiral Moderator

^ That was probably just meant as an Easter egg, like the Romulan BoP from the same movie.

F. King Daniel likes this.
  9. gaghyogi49

Yes! And those BoPs get a completely new context now with the BoPs seen all over the Picard trailer...

F. King Daniel likes this.
  10. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

Finally got an email that I will be received the next 2 Discovery subscriptions, two months after I changed it to 2 a month. I've emailed them a few times and they don't seem to understand that I've seen to have fallen behind.
    Anyway, I'm getting the Klingon Raider and Shuttlecradt soon.

Markonian and 137th Gebirg like this.
  11. mindx2

mindx2 Commander Red Shirt

12. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

Finally! :D

DS9forever likes this.
  13. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

Just got an email saying “something” is being sent but the contents section is empty and not seeing any CC charge. Could it be the long-awaited Bonaventure magazine?? :eek:

mindx2, Doom Shepherd and Markonian like this.
  14. Nate

Nate Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I got the same thing & it looks like it might be. I went back & looked at my old email confirms. The order number on tonight’s email matches my order number from the Bonaventure.

Doom Shepherd and 137th Gebirg like this.
  15. Markonian

Markonian Fleet Admiral Moderator

16. Doom Shepherd

Doom Shepherd Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Ditto here, same email.

137th Gebirg likes this.
  17. mindx2

mindx2 Commander Red Shirt

Double ditto as I also received the email. Sure hope it's the Bonnie magazine!

137th Gebirg likes this.
  18. t_smitts

t_smitts Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I check the website everyday and the Enterprise-F and Bonaventure are constantly unavailable. There's actually a waiting list for the latter. I'm starting to feel like a fool for checking so much.

19. KamenRiderBlade

KamenRiderBlade Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I kind of want the "XL Enterprise J"

20. Rahul

Rahul Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The ship I'm looking forward the most right now is honestly the USS Emmett Till. That's a great design, and IMO an amazing update of the 70s Ken Adam/McQuarrie design.
    I want it now!!

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
    publiusr, DS9forever and 137th Gebirg like this.