Spoilers Star Trek: Prodigy 1x13 - "All the World's a Stage"

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Prodigy' started by Commander Richard, Nov 8, 2022.

?

Rate the episode...

1. 10 - Excellent!

40.8%
  2. 9

27.6%
  3. 8

15.8%
  4. 7

13.2%
  5. 6

1.3%
  6. 5

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. 4

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. 3

1.3%
  9. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1 - Terrible!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

Oh my God what a love letter to TOS, shades of Galaxy Quest. Garovick! Top notch production values and score, animation, everything, and a cliffhanger ending to boot! I can't believe what I just saw, simply magnificent for a kiddy show. Amazing...

Search4, Vger23, NCC-73515 and 3 others like this.
  2. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    This was as big a love letter to TOS as "In A Mirror Darkly" in ENT, just executed with a gentler hand and more love for a younger audience. This episode was just beautiful.

3. Deks

Deks Vice Admiral Admiral

Without the drip, the eruptions would probably stop alltogether because the shuttle ended up falling into the pit and was submerged... so any remaining plasma would have likely burned off.
    Problem is, the kids likely didn't know how to better deal with the subsequent radiation/fumes that the cave was still full of (perhaps fully trained SF crew would have been able to do that).
    So, the next best thing was to seal off the cave - which to me seems superficial. I'm hoping the kids and the Protostar managed to fully contain the plasma and fumes to the mountain and stop it from potentially finding its way into the local water supply.

Also, that cave was full of dilithium. Might be worth to access it again if these people develop Warp capability (which will probably happen sooner than later)... but in that case, they'd need environmental suits to access it or find other deposits (unless they develop a power source which doesn't need dilithium - which is more than doable.

TOS Enterprise was going all over the galaxy if the dialogue was any indication. Warp speed in some instances was insanely fast at the top said speed being about 1000 Ly's per day.
    Sure, with that, you can easily cut across the galaxy within a year (with latest estimates the Milky way is about or more than double the size of previous estimations - aka 200 000 to 250 000 ly's).

Some suggested that those episodes with exceptionally fast Warp drive took place in alternate realities (not prime universe)... but given that a lot of the places newer Trek is revisting or referencing from TOS (some of which is very far away), it stands to reason the prime universe SF explored those same areas, or in the prime universe they were much closer than in those hypothetical alternate realities with faster Warp.

Likely. SF isn't short on encountering random anomalies or even entities that could be 'playing' with it for experimentation.
    A shuttle is far more vulnerable than a fully crewed larger ship.

Explaining Romulans to new/younger viewers would take all of few second of dialogue like holo Janeway did with the Borg... so its not really an issue.
    But I suspect it won't be the Romulans as they don't necessarily venture out of their space too much, and given the mid-season promo we saw which featured Okona on the Protostar (and Murf hatching)... I think Okona might have been the person to rescue Frex.

4. Wouter

Wouter Captain Captain

Apparently one or more Romulans will show up at some point in the season (stated by the showrunners), though there is no context and it could be part of a holodeck simulation.

5. jackoverfull

jackoverfull Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

ah!

indeed. And why garrowick didn’t think of it then?

I think they will show up sooner or later, as Produgy is also serving as an introduction to Star Trek lore.

6. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This omission is annoying.

Avro Arrow likes this.
  7. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

One question: Why is Jimmi Simpson still in the credits? Drednok was destroyed many episodes ago.

Or perhaps that last explosion (just as the Protostar beams everyone up and leaves) actually destroyed the shuttle? Can't be any more eruptions if there's nothing to erupt from.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2022
  8. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

I was a bit meh at the beginning of the episode but loved it at the end. The holographic bridge reminds me very much of an idea Doug Drexler discussed for his Enterprise J I believe.

9. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Contracts are finicky things. Especially since this is still season 1.

10. Mr. Laser Beam

I'm not following. :confused:

Drednok is dead. And does not appear in this episode. So logically speaking, Simpson doesn't belong in the credits. Seems simple enough. :shrug:

Unless they're planning to somehow resurrect Drednok? Bit difficult after being torn to pieces by irate slaves... :lol:

11. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Contracts are generally written for a season, depending on the agent. And contracts are rarely simple.

12. Orac

Orac Fleet Admiral Admiral

Cirroc Lofton was credited for every episode of Deep Space Nine yet only appeared in a handful of them.

13. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Anthony Montgomery wasn't shown in all 98 episodes of ENT if I'm not mistaken but he's also credited in all of that series' episodes.

14. Wouter

Wouter Captain Captain

Not difficult at all. A different copy of Drednok was constructed by Protostar's own vehicle replicator in episode 8. Drednok could be reconstructed, it only takes the Diviner (or another Vau n'Akat) to get access to the right replicator. Moreover, the game Supernova also has a variant of Drednok (not 100% the same character, but should something like that appear in the main series, it would be Simpson who voices him). He could also appear in flashbacks or recordings.

15. Mr. Laser Beam

Just had another thought:

The kids know that even the simple act of opening a hailing frequency will spread the Diviner's virus. But there's ways around that.

What about sending out a physical object? Like a torpedo? Put a PADD in it that isn't connected to the Protostar's computer system, and program that PADD to send a message. Problem solved.

Or, if even that is too risky: Just write a damn letter. :lol:

Last edited: Nov 13, 2022
    jackoverfull likes this.
  16. ToddCam

ToddCam Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think Garrovick was beamed off the crashing shuttle, and a Tom Riker/William Boimler type duplicate was left behind.

Bornin1980something likes this.
  17. Wouter

Wouter Captain Captain

The letter is a good idea (it was jokingly suggested they put it on the side of a thermos filled with coffee, to be sure to get Janeways attention), other options are to drop someone off at a planet or installation (to talk with Starfleet pursuers) or to use an independent system for subspace communication or even another vessel/shuttle (however, they need to find one first; replicated shuttles may not be free of the problem) .

Approaching a Starfleet installation or vessel may be dangerous even if no contact is initiated (or explicitly responded to) by the Protostar, though. CR-721 attempted to download logs and that was apparently sufficient to wake the living construct.

jackoverfull likes this.
  18. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

If Simpson's contract specified he'd be credited for the whole season, then he's required to be listed in the credits for the whole season, regardless if he shows up or not. This sort of thing goes on all the time on TV shows.

fireproof78 and jackoverfull like this.
  19. Mr. Laser Beam

So they're still pretending that this is season 1, despite the huge gap? :lol:

20. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Legally speaking, this is still the first season.