Spoilers Star Trek Picard Season 2 Hopes and Predictions

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Picard' started by Lorcan Kelly, Mar 27, 2020.

1. The Rock

The Rock Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I wonder if Darmok will make an appearance in season 2. Well I mean, the Darmok aliens. Or one of them. I always thought the TNG episode Darmok was fascinating and wish we could see some kind of follow-up. Maybe they could call the episode "Darmok 2: The Return of Darmok". JK (that would be a terrible title).

2. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

^ They'd be an excellent idea for Lower Decks. :D

3. The Rock

The Rock Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

True!

4. Jeff

Jeff Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Now that Picard, Raffi and Rios have proven to Clancy they aren't completely crazy, maybe SF might extend an olive branch to them professionally? While I dont see Raffi getting her old job back (and I severely doubt she'd take it even if they did) maybe they would offer her some of her retirement benefits and reinstate her security clearance. Rios, they might offer him reinstatement of his commission and new XO posting (again, not sure if he'd take it). As for Picard, while I dont see him returning to active fleet duty unless there's and all-hands-on-deck emergency like a resurgence of the Borg, at least his reputation should be restored, (Lets be honest, the "shut the fuck up" convo is probably gonna be the closest that Picard is gonna get to any kind of pubic apology or mea culpa from Clancy) and that would probably be enough for him.

picardjean-luc likes this.
  5. picardjean-luc

picardjean-luc Captain Captain

I think Narissa's broken, smashed, and dead body can be found at the bottom of the Borg cube, so we won't be seeing her ever again ;)

There's about 50-50 chance for Narek to appear in future Picard episodes, but I tend to think we haven't seen the last of him yet....

6. Danja

Danja Commodore Commodore

People come back from the dead all the time on TV ....

Besides, there was water in the bottom of that cube.

7. eschaton

eschaton Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

But she absolutely sucked as an antagonist.

Honestly the "villians" were by far the worst single element of Picard's first season.

8. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't want Narissa to come back .Let her character stay dead from the fall at the bottom of the borg cube.I don't care if we never see Narek again either.

ThreeEdgedSword and NCC-73515 like this.
  9. Happenstance

Happenstance Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Yep I’m hoping they leave Narissa and Narek in the first season where they belong. I enjoyed the season overall but they were terrible.

10. Llywela

Llywela Commander Red Shirt

I thought Narek was at his most interesting right at the very end of the season, when he was actually interacting with the rest of the cast and coming across as morally ambiguous rather than second-rate evil. If he'd been allowed more of that from early on, instead of being trapped in Artefact purgatory with Narissa and Soji, the character might have been redeemable. As it is, the show is better off without either the siblings - and I'm pretty sure the showrunners have said that neither is coming back.

I hope the writers strike a better balance with the characters in season two.

11. eschaton

My strong preference is they avoid a simple story with "bad guys" for the second season, but this may be a vain hope from Kurtzman Trek.

12. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think Kurtzman Trek has done a good variety across the board.

13. eschaton

I think antagonists have been a weak point overall. Picard had very weak villains. Control in Discovery Season 2 felt like a mid-season asspull. It's hard for me to think back to Discovery Season 1 and identify the primary antagonist, since it changed over time (T'Kuvma...no, Kol...No, wait, Georgiou...No, Lorca...nope, it was Georgiou).

The main thing though is I simply don't think Trek requires antagonists to be good. Where was the villain in The City on the Edge of Forever? Where was the villain in The Inner Light? Where was the villain in The Visitor? Living Witness? Many of the top Trek episodes lacked notable "bad guys" or even personified antagonists.

Uhura's Song and NCC-73515 like this.
  14. fireproof78

I don't think Trek needs it but I do think that it can work within it, with characters like Dukat, Khan, Kor, and the like, and being able to show them becoming possible allies, specifically Kor and Dukat at times. So, while I don't think Trek needs it, having antagonists is still OK to me.

And, the "top" Trek episodes I see people rave about often feature villains.

SJGardner likes this.
  15. Precious Tritium

Precious Tritium Commander Red Shirt

I think I’m one of about 6 people who actually liked Narissa, so I wouldn’t mind seeing her come back for season two.

And Narek’s “I very much choose to live,” is probably the funniest line from the first season, so I’m cool with them both returning in one form of another.

If the writers feel they have a story to tell with them, I say why not, and if they don’t, just leave them.

16. eschaton

Can you give me some examples? Space Seed is all that immediately comes to mind, and I think it's overrated.

17. fireproof78

"Best of Both Worlds."
    "Scorpion"
    "Chain of Command"
    "Balance of Terror"

That's just off the top of my head. No doubt I'm forgetting several. But, I commonly see "Best of Both Worlds" as the top tier TNG episode.

antinoos and Danja like this.
  18. Precious Tritium

Precious Tritium Commander Red Shirt

You didn’t ask me, but I’ll butt in anyway. Best of Both Worlds, Balance of Terror, Chain of Command and All Good Things all feature characters who fill that typical villain role. People often say Enterprise didn’t get good until the Xindi became a threat. There’s probably others I’m forgetting.

Not saying Trek needs villains to be good, but there’s certainly precedent for them working for the fanbase.

19. fireproof78

This.

20. eschaton

I have problems with rating BoBW high, because Part 2 was such an anticlimax.

Who was the villain? Species 8472 were the primary antagonists of the two parter, and they were de-personified monsters at this point. Not even one of my favorite Voyager episodes though.

Now this episode I like, and Gul Madred is a truly menacing figure. That said, the story is arguably "man versus himself" rather than "man versus man." Gul Madred is not defeated except insofar as Picard doesn't break. The tension ultimately is the internal tension within Jean Luc.

IMHO the Romulan Commander, while an antagonist, is not a villain. The writing shows him as "noble" in his way, and it makes clear that he would have preferred to meet Kirk under other circumstances. He's not a bad guy, he's just on the other side of war.

While Q is an antagonist, I have a hard time seeing him as a straight-up villain. Wait...was there some Romulan in the episode too? I can't really remember.