Spoilers Star Trek: Picard 3x06 - "The Bounty"

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Picard' started by Commander Richard, Mar 22, 2023.

?

Engage!

1. 10 - Excellent!

43.8%
  2. 9

22.9%
  3. 8

15.9%
  4. 7

8.5%
  5. 6

4.3%
  6. 5

1.6%
  7. 4

1.2%
  8. 3

0.8%
  9. 2

1.2%
  10. 1 - Terrible!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Soong-type Android

Soong-type Android Captain Captain

Unfortunately Picard had the misfortune to be made at a time it was fashionable to turn old heroes into unrecognisable shadows of their former selves after Logan and The Last Jedi.

cal888 likes this.
  2. Deks

Deks Vice Admiral Admiral

Agreed. Shaw is good looking, I'll give him that... If anything I'd prefer to see him in a relationship with another man. That would certainly present a different twist on story telling from his character development in the future, and would give us a gay captain too (for a change).
    But its hardly a pressing matter, and I doubt they will go in this direction.

Shaw and Seven work better as coworkers, not potential lovers.

This is one thing that didn't make much sense to me.
    Any technology can be misused by anyone with the right motivation. 23rd and 24th century ships can lay waste to whole planets in a very brief amount of time as is.
    Photon torpedoes can be reconfigured to blow up planets in a single shot.
    They are basically weapons of mass destruction if you want to look at them like that... so, McCoy's argument doesn't really stand.
    What would have to be done is to carefully proceed with the technology forward, properly regulate it, and use it where its intended to be used.

David's assesment that the proto-matter was the inherent cause of instability is not fully substantiated. As we both pointed out, the device was never deployed in the manner it was intended, therefore, David (and we) don't have sufficient data to conclusively say the proto-matter was the actual problem.

vulcancicada likes this.
  3. Fateor

Fateor Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

So... Does the original Constitution design confirm that Discovery/Strange New Worlds is in it's own branching timeline ala nuTrek?

Phoenix219 likes this.
  4. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't want to see Seven and Shaw in a relationship, but I do want to see her in a healthy relationship. The issue I had with her and Raffi was it seemed like it was barely a relationship. We saw them together for like 5 seconds to end Season 1. In season 2 they fought a lot, and now they were separated. I don't think Star Trek writes relationships and attractions very well anyway (I think the best one might have been Kassidy and Ben or Tom and B'elanna), but I just want to see something. Also, I don't want this season to ignore the fact that Shaw has never called Seven "Seven" at all this season. I'm hoping that might happen in the final episode, but just that in itself is why I don't want to see the both of them together. They are better as coworkers.

Commander Troi and vulcancicada like this.
  5. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

No, it‘s just a different presentation choice.
    The model we saw in Picard was in no way up to carrying a show like SNW as the hero ship.

Greg Cox, fireproof78 and SJGardner like this.
  6. Yistaan

Yistaan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I wonder if, in-universe, anyone realized after "All Good Things" (assuming Picard informed Starfleet Command of what happened, which Shaw's lines in Picard indicate he did) that a starship performing an inverse tachyon pulse in the same location more than once will start a time paradox anomaly that will cause humanity (and probably a bunch of other species light years away too) to not only be destroyed, but never having existed?

Heck, that's something that can probably even happen by accident (a starship performing an inverse tachyon pulse scan, unaware that someone already did so in the same location before), to the point that there should be a galaxy wide ban on inverse tachyon pulses period (maybe there is now). At the end of the day, Q probably did the galaxy a favor by putting Picard through AGT.

Ianburns252 likes this.
  7. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

Of course in real life physics, the same location doesn‘t mean anything.
    There is no such thing as a fixed location, especially not if you bring time into the equation.

everything is relative to each other, galaxies and stars are moving, space itself is expanding and creating more that previously didn’t exist.
    And some current theories even postulate that space itself is an emergent construct of the mind to make sense of quantums field interactions.

Commander Troi and Yistaan like this.
  8. Yistaan

Yistaan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I have to admit I'm shaky on how fast galaxies etc. move but would the 7 years and 25 year pause between inverse tachyon pulses be long enough that they technically would not have been performed at the same location?

9. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

No. it's just an Easter Egg.

10. Citiprime

Citiprime Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I took it as implying the “SNW/Discoprise” might have been the initial iteration of the Constitution Class, the TOS Enterprise is actually the first refit, and the the movie Constitution Class is the second refit.

Ianburns252 likes this.
  11. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

Or:
    Fortunately, Picard was made at a time when people were willing to challenge staid expectations about narrowly defined hero characters by examining them from a different perspective, like in Logan or The Last Jedi, thus offering fans an opportunity to experience something unexpected (albeit at the risk of upsetting some who clearly don’t like challenges to their expectations).

Umm…no.

12. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's absurd to me, but this is apparently the experience that must be repeated. One of the shows my little sister enjoyed was the Little Mermaid show were a hero was discovered to be less than what was expected after being a hermit for a time because he didn't like the fame of his supposed heroism. The point of the story was that heroes are not always what we expect, especially after they age.

I will find value in seeing heroes as humans, people who age, and struggle, rather perfect avatars of heroism.

Commander Troi and Greg Cox like this.
  13. Citiprime

Citiprime Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Because of the people in charge of production and the writing room during the first two seasons. Akiva Goldsman was/is an executive producer on both this and Discovery. Goldsman has an Oscar for A Beautiful Mind but he also is responsible for writing some of the worst Batman movies. And you can see some of the worst flaws in his writing in the initial seasons of both Discovery and Picard.

I think giving Matalas full control is responsible for the change in direction.

cal888 likes this.
  14. fireproof78

Also, there was no idea that Stewart would want a TNG reunion. That's literally what he didn't want at the beginning.

We don't get season 3 without at least Season 1.

15. SpocksOddSocks

SpocksOddSocks Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Agreed. In fact, Worf's statement about not letting her death be in vain "for the Federation or her kin" as potentially being a way to prime us toward thinking about Bajor.

On Seven and Raffi, it feels to me that their breakup being prior to this season as being essential for Seven's character development. Particularly given her speech about Voyager. She's searching for somewhere to belong.

I also don't think there is an issue with them having had that relationship. It doesn't have to mean it's a mistake, nor the offscreen breakup negate their roles as LGBTQ+ representation. If anything, I see this as just representative that people do enter into relationships that don't last. They were both emotional, and wanting to be close to someone, but it didn't work out. In some ways it's refreshing to see thing that might happen in irl reflective, rather than the Hollywood obsession with "true love" and "soul mate" BS (whether smooth or troubled).

Commander Troi likes this.
  16. Akiraprise

Akiraprise To Ꝏ & Somewhere..! Moderator

Have to wonder if he himself had any awareness of the tepid reaction S1 received from general Trek fans. It's clear that the rest of his team did to make the course correction they did for S3. If you've watched any of the press circuit interviews Stewart has made with the rest of the TNG cast you'd almost think this was the plan from the get go. Their enthusiasm for the work they did doesn't seem forced or exaggerated. Why would they not include the TNG cast from the get go?

cal888 likes this.
  17. fireproof78

To avoid repetitive roles.

18. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

It doesn't mean anything. Using the TOS design was a whim of the Picard producers and design crew, who do not work on SNW and many of whom worked on the old Trek shows decades ago.

I follow some of these people on Twitter. The shows have different crews, different producers, and there's a touch of attitude at times when other current Trek shows are brought up.

Greg Cox likes this.
  19. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

No. It means it will get a refit. Even if said refit is off screen (like ST:TMP). We SAW the result of that refit, but the actual refit occurred off screen.

fireproof78 likes this.
  20. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

It doesn't even mean that much.

Nerys Myk likes this.