Spoilers Star Trek: Picard 3x04 - "No Win Scenario"

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Picard' started by Commander Richard, Mar 8, 2023.

?

Engage!

1. 10 - Excellent!

49.8%
  2. 9

28.8%
  3. 8

10.3%
  4. 7

5.2%
  5. 6

3.7%
  6. 5

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. 4

1.5%
  8. 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1 - Terrible!

0.7%
  1. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    It's almost surely not the "Conspiracy" parasites.

I've been wrong before but in this case, eh, likely not. ;)

2. Yistaan

Yistaan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That's why I'm positive that Beverly was lying and she was no longer attracted to Picard and was creeped out by him and doesn't want to be in a relationship with him, while telling him about Jack will guarantee she's tied to Picard more or less for life. So she purposely takes an isolated series of events out of context (note that every single incident she mentions is Romulan related, taking advantage of the chaos in Picard's life after he killed Praetor Shinzon, than anything actually representative of Picard's usual Starfleet life, much less the 15 years he spent quietly in France) to demonize Picard rather than just straight up admit she doesn't want to live with him or be in a relationship with him. People in real life do this all the time, demonizing someone to get out of having anything to do with them while making themselves look heroic for dumping/rejecting someone.

The smoking gun so to speak is Beverly ended up putting her son in danger on the most lawless areas of space for her self-important frontier medicine gimmick, to the point Jack needed to turn to crime to survive (and per the math he just turned 21). She can't have been that concerned about his safety, she doesn't even seem to care about his seeming lack of post-high school education.

For what it's worth, real life Chinese director Zhang Yimou hid at least 2 children for some years to hide the fact he'd violated China's one child policy not that long ago. So Beverly totally could've gotten together with Jean-Luc and hidden their son's heritage if she wanted to.

The bottom line is, she didn't want to, because she doesn't want anything to do with Jean-Luc for reasons beyond her exaggerated claims of the danger around Picard (which she purposely exaggerated to make herself look heroic). The real reason is all but stated between the lines when Picard mentioned she refused to communicate with him further, the implication being if he persisted she'd be filing restraining orders, etc. In real life, that type of action is reserved for stalkers who won't accept no means no, and for Crusher to put Jean-Luc in that position where she could realistically accuse him of that speaks volumes about what she really thinks about him. She likely grit her teeth and put on a show to even work with him this past episode on the Titan only because lives were at stake.

3. Gepard

Gepard Vice Admiral Admiral

Your posts are wild, man.

StewMc, NCC-73515, jaime and 3 others like this.
  4. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Some Olympic level contortions there.
    Who say's he only has a high school education? Most people attend college from age 17 to 21. We know Jack attend school on Earth in London. Why can't it be at the University level? We know he was on Earth five years ago.

5. Lt Mo

Lt Mo Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

FWIW she just said Jack “went to school” in London, for all we know it was nursery school, not university. It would actually make more sense to develop an accent at a young age although I doubt that’s what they were going for.

jackoverfull likes this.
  6. Nerys Myk

Depends.. Linda McCartney developed a sort of English accent after living there. I probably would too, but that's my nature.

7. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

One of my good friends developed an Australian accent after working there two years post high school.

Commander Troi likes this.
  8. cooleddie74

Terry Gilliam was a grown adult who was an American expatriate in the UK and his accent has had a distinctive English flavoring for decades now.

9. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

She probably had him living in London and going to school as a child while she was doing her Space Doctors Without Space Borders thing. Given his age and his criminal record, I doubt he took the time to go to university and instead went off with Beverly to help her once he was old enough.

Yistaan likes this.
  10. Yistaan

Jack basically just turned 21 assuming he was conceived immediately after Nemesis, and even that's assuming Nemesis took place at the beginning of 2379. We know he'd been on board the Eleos for months if not years now, long enough to have at least 3 separate identities. If he had a university education he'd have to have had accelerated education and be a genius like Kelvin Chekov.

11. fireproof78

Or Wesley.

12. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

A twitch streamer I watch grew up in Australia but moved to America for work and basically lost his accent. It still comes out sometimes when saying certain words though.

13. cooleddie74

Malcolm McDowell has said for years now that since he's spent so much time living in the U.S. he's lost a lot of his English accent, though to me he clearly sounds British.

Tuskin38 likes this.
  14. Yistaan

Soran: Fellow Brit, what's this American chap doing here?
    Picard: I don't rightly know my dear fellow.
    Kirk: I'm Canadian!

15. Nerys Myk

The people in charge are saying he 23/24, both BTS and on screen. Your pet theory, supported as it might be by past information, isn't valid. Jack's a smart guy, maybe on the same level as his brother. He may have started and graduated University early. Perhaps earning an advanced degree and still have time for a post-University criminal career.

16. JediKnightButler

JediKnightButler Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Upside Down?

17. Gilora

Gilora Commander Red Shirt

I'm going by the dialogue. No more, no less and not making assumptions. But it's okay if you do, since you already did.

18. fireproof78

I think I like living upside down...

19. Mike Doyle

Mike Doyle Commander Red Shirt

My point is exactly that. Nowhere in the dialogue do they say there couldn’t be a second.

20. jaime

jaime Vice Admiral Admiral

They’re all Changelings…
    On a doomed ship…