Spoilers Star Trek: Picard 3x04 - "No Win Scenario"

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Picard' started by Commander Richard, Mar 8, 2023.

?

Engage!

1. 10 - Excellent!

49.8%
  2. 9

28.8%
  3. 8

10.3%
  4. 7

5.2%
  5. 6

3.7%
  6. 5

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. 4

1.5%
  8. 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1 - Terrible!

0.7%
  1. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I was a little surprised by the bucket revelation. I remember Odo realizing he didn't need the bucket anymore because he can regenerate by taking form of anything, which is why he built his quarters the way he did. The Bucket was mainly because he didn't know who he was, and not a Changeling feature.

2. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

Only because he was prepared for it. The idea is that any piece that is removed from them reverts back to its natural form

3. Vince A

Vince A Lieutenant Red Shirt

That hand business was weird.

Good episode though.

Commander Troi likes this.
  4. thribs

So Vadic’s hand is part of what I assume is the leader of these Renegade Changelings. I doubt it’s the female Changeling since Odo was the one that convinced her to stop the war.

JRob94 and Vince A like this.
  5. Quinton

Quinton Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I can't say I agree with folks who fear the season is paced as slowly as 2's was; I'm at the edge of my seat damn near every minute over here.

Fantastic stuff.

6. Harpsichord

Harpsichord Commander Red Shirt

This will probably be my last post on the PIC subforum unless something drastically changes:

This show is barely watchable dog shit. Unbelievably bad. Beyond comprehension. Just total trash.

Thank God for SNW.

7. Quinton

Quinton Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Kind of amazed we can both like SNW so much and yet diverge so thoroughly here, but so it goes.

SJGardner, HotRod and The Commander like this.
  8. Agony_Boothb

Agony_Boothb Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

9. NCC-73515

NCC-73515 Vice Admiral Admiral

LaForgery seems to have been stunned, and shooting the shoulder didn't stop it.

Calling it pot and referring to Cannabis took me out of the episode, it's too contemporary. And it's been replaced with snakeweed and eyespray anyway :D

10. mattman8907

mattman8907 Commodore Commodore

I really enjoyed this episode. we got some more of Shaw's backstory. and it felt like this Mini Arc within the season is over. now we can focus on other issues. Also I noticed that some of the sounds for the Titan were used from Michael Giacchino's sound he used for the Enterprise in the '09 film.

JRob94, Commander Troi and Vince A like this.
  11. cal888

cal888 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Wow, can't think of when a Star Trek series last had this good of a bottle episode. 10/10.

• Great reveal that Jack was in LA Ten Forward in 2396, plus the odd season 1 uniforms return
    • Admiral's log, complete with a Stardate(!)
    • Reference to the Jurati Borg and the Stargazer from season 2
    • Encounter at Farpoint revisited with the space jelly fish
    • Shaw and Wolf 359 confirmed, great twist on the 50 survivors for a 10 person escape pod
    • Is Vadic a Changeling... or just her hand?
    • Jack's vision gets even more 12 MONKEYS
    • No Worf or Raffi, they must still be in transit from M'Talas to Daystrom

12. Harpsichord

Harpsichord Commander Red Shirt

The same folks that will cry for hours about the Discovery crew "talking about their feelings during a crisis" are going to have no problem with Picard and Son chilling in the holodeck while the ship drifts towards certain destruction-- and oh look the Captain of the ship decided to come to the holodeck instead of going to the bridge of his ship after he got out of sickbay. Oh and it's all lit like a nightclub. Great stuff.

And the changeling infiltrator just walks up to our heroes after they call out that the changeling should show up. Unbelievable.

Ok now I'm done.

13. KamenRiderBlade

KamenRiderBlade Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I would call it the debut of a new alien species.

"Birth" has so many implications due to the wording.

14. gweeps

gweeps Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Another excellent directing job by Frakes. Smart to keep the story locked in on the Titan and its predicament, even though we saw some flashbacks, which nicely tied in.

Still don't really care about Plummer's character, though it added a bit of depth to see her subservience to the changeling.

Maybe Jack is somehow a changeling/human hybrid?

Commander Troi and Borg Queen like this.
  15. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Beverly used the word Birth, and she also compared the countdown to contractions. I think it was appropriate wording here.

16. thribs

I don’t know if I believe Picard would call his kid Jack. I think he would Honor his brother or nephew with that.

17. Captain_Amasov

Captain_Amasov Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Cannabis has been used for both medical and spiritual applications for a considerably long time; one of the first was in the Atharva Veda, written around 1400 BCE. It isn't hard to imagine it'll still exist in the 25th century and beyond.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2023
  18. Yistaan

Yistaan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

For all the hype about Picard being dressed down by Riker last week leading to speculation about him being Tom or a Changeling, the whole "feud" lasted like less than 5 minutes. Shaw arguably got humiliated worse in front of the crew, through his own doing, by blaming Picard for Locutus' actions in front of everyone.

Jack Crusher being Picard's Academy friend is a bit of a retcon, meaning Jack at the youngest would've been born in 2308 (unless he's like Kelvin Chekov in which case he'd be younger), meaning Jack was 16 years older than Beverly. And even this is assuming Picard was hanging around students 3 years his junior for some reason. Nothing outright contradicts this but there was no indication Picard knew Jack that young before, for example in Tapestry when Q takes him back to his ensign days, Jack isn't even mentioned.

Picard's son Jack has to at most be 21. We know it's still before April in 2401 and even if Picard and Beverly got into bed right after Nemesis in 2379, Jack would be born at earliest in late 2379, meaning he can't be older than 21 in Picard Season 3 despite Picard guessing his age as 23/24. This also means that in the 2396 flashback, Jack somehow got into the Ten Forward bar despite being 16.

Tosk and J.D. like this.
  19. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

Of course, they're 100% hypocrites.

Fortunately, I'm a fan of both series and love the character work in this episode. True we don't agree about PIC, but it happens, no worries.

burningoil, PiotrB and Commander Troi like this.
  20. Anduinel

Anduinel Captain Captain

Aw, McFadden popped out the old technobabble voice like no time had passed at all. Gotta love a good old nigh-unknowable alien life form. :luvlove:

WRT Shaw, Quint did it better. Did get a nice whiff of "never let them promote you" off him when Picard was asking for his help, which was interesting. Still hoping Vadic unhinges her jaw and eats him.

I think the secret son plot is just going to be my low point of interest for S3. It's not like I'm not I'm not finding things to enjoy this season - I'm still staying up 'til stupid o' clock in the morning to watch, after all - but man, the emotional pillar of this story is just not clicking with me. Every time Picard and Jack are on screen togther, my finger itches for the fast-forward button.

But yeah, it was fine overall. Good build of tension, good character advancement.

burningoil and SiorX like this.