Spoilers Star Trek: Picard 3x04 - "No Win Scenario"

Engage!

• Total voters
Cannabis has been used for both medical and spiritual applications for a considerably long time; one of the first was in the Atharva Veda, written around 1400 BCE. It isn't hard to imagine it'll still exist in the 25th century and beyond.

It's so ridiculous that in an episode where there's use of alcohol as a mind-altering substance, there's objection to marijuana still being in use in the future. Why is what was legal in the late 20th century United States the only stuff that would still be in use 500 years later?

What the hell was that thing about Vadic’s hand? What was that thing she was talking to? So far that’s the only intriguing thing about her. She’s been boring so far.

Frakes is such a great director. Too bad his film career never took off. Then again if it had we probably would not be getting these very well directed Trek episodes from him.

Really beautiful scene with the birth of those creatures. The visuals and music were quite moving.

The final flashback in LA Ten Forward was heartbreaking.

8/10

Could troi on the view screen be a changeling since we saw the troi in the trailer still pissed off at Riker?

No. It's been mentioned in multiple interviews that Riker and Troi are having marital problems due to them not having fully dealt with the death of their Son.

It's so ridiculous that in an episode where there's use of alcohol as a mind-altering substance, there's objection to marijuana still being in use in the future. Why is what was legal in the late 20th century United States the only stuff that would still be in use 500 years later?

I don't think people are objecting to cannabis still being around in the 25th century, just to the slang being unchanged. Remember how in First Contact Geordi didn't know that "leak" was slang for urination? Starfleet are a bunch of squares.

The final flashback in LA Ten Forward was heartbreaking.

And a perfectly in-character moment for Picard that shows the limits of his fealty to the Federation. See, season 1? That's how you do a deconstruction.

It's too bad Shaw's issues weren't related to the Dominion War. But, I know: PICARD.

It's totally consistent with Sisko's reaction to Picard in DS9. Of course he was not responsible but trauma makes you look for scapegoats sometimes.
Reminds me of that scene in Emmisary in DS9.
Yes, I get all that and it's perfectly understandable. However I didn't much care for it then, either (and at least Sisko got over it by the end of the episode). Doesn't alter the fact he needs counselling, either.

Each to their own. It didn't work for me,

ETA: Additional point.

Last edited:
It's too bad Shaw's issues weren't related to the Dominion War. But, I know: PICARD.
To be brutally honest, I like that it doesn't have to do with the Dominion. I was wondering what the Hell was Shaw's problem with Picard. Now, it unfortunately makes sense.

I feel like Shaw should know better than this. Especially since he has Seven as a First Officer. He's got some type of hypocrisy going on with him. Can't wait to see how he seems to mentally compartmentalize things. He's probably insisting that she be called "Commander Hansen" because he wants to forget she's a Borg.

The pot thing would have bothered me if it hadn't been for Seven traveling back to 2024 Los Angeles, which for her only would have been a few months ago.

It's also possible that her knowledge from the Borg has references to it, since they've assimilated considerable amounts of information about Earth and humans. Also, since "pot" was first coined as a slang term in the US in the 1930's, and Picard's Dixon Hill detective novels take place in the 1940's, it wouldn't be unheard of for people in this timeframe knowing about it from such sources.

The pot thing would have bothered me if it hadn't been for Seven traveling back to 2024 Los Angeles, which for her only would have been a few months ago.
So Seven and 2024 did get a room? :D

Negatives - Picard was not personally responsible for what happened at Wolf 359. Okay, Shaw was there and what happened was obviously ghastly, but it wasn't Picard's fault. (It wasn't Seven's, either.) Shaw is in dire need of counselling and how the hell he attained a captaincy is beyond me.
SATIE: It must have been awful for you, actually becoming one of them, being forced to use your vast knowledge of Starfleet operations to aid the Borg. Just how many of our ships were lost? Thirty nine? And a loss of life, I believe, measured at nearly eleven thousand. One wonders how you can sleep at night, having caused so much destruction. I question your actions, Captain. I question your choices. I question your loyalty.

Negatives - Picard was not personally responsible for what happened at Wolf 359. Okay, Shaw was there and what happened was obviously ghastly, but it wasn't Picard's fault. (It wasn't Seven's, either.) Shaw is in dire need of counselling and how the hell he attained a captaincy is beyond me.
I guess you weren’t a fan of Sisko doing it either?

Where was the objection to it? Shaw just said “regretfully,no” didn’t he?

Interesting that Picard fought the Hirogen. I would've liked to have seen that Star Trek movie, back in the early-2000s.
Maybe we'll see it in Prodigy :D
Wasn't Worf promoted to commander in DS9? It happened while he still was a Lt Cdr...

I guess you weren’t a fan of Sisko doing it either?
No, I wasn't. But he came to grips with it (by the end of the episode, no less). One hopes Shaw will, too.
SATIE: It must have been awful for you, actually becoming one of them, being forced to use your vast knowledge of Starfleet operations to aid the Borg. Just how many of our ships were lost? Thirty nine? And a loss of life, I believe, measured at nearly eleven thousand. One wonders how you can sleep at night, having caused so much destruction. I question your actions, Captain. I question your choices. I question your loyalty.
Saite was off her rocker (to put it kindly). Great episode, though.

Back