Spoilers Star Trek: Lower Decks 2x04 - "Mugato, Gumato"

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Lower Decks' started by Commander Richard, Sep 1, 2021.

?

Rate the episode...

1. 10 - Excellent!

2. 9

3. 8

4. 7

5. 6

6. 5

7. 4

8. 3

9. 2

10. 1 - Let's TOS this one.

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. jackoverfull

jackoverfull Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

a medusan is one of the main characters in Prodigy

KimMH, Commander Troi and cooleddie74 like this.
  2. matthunter

matthunter Admiral Admiral

As for the "Mariner admitted doing black ops in the past!!" argument, there's a distinction between the occasional black op involving regular Starfleet officers (like Picard's mission in Chain of Command) and being a "super-agent" trained to be the perfect killing machine, programmed to protect herself at all costs, as was implied here. Even Garak wouldn't meet the latter definition, but we couldn't argue he didn't run a lot of black ops during his time with the Obsidian Order.

Though, given her surprising combat skills (though last week hinted that this was more due to her embarrassing Orion teen years), I wouldn't bet against them revealing that Tendi is in fact a black op plant. That sweet, naive persona is the perfect cover.... and it's hardly the first time Trek has revealed it's the medic who has the dark secret....

jackoverfull and Commander Troi like this.
  3. Super Grover

Super Grover Vice Admiral Admiral

I like how they've been giving Tendi more to do lately. And how they've been mixing up the pairings every episode now. Last week Boimler had a solo story, this week it was Tendi. Mariner and Tendi last week, this week Boimler and Rutherford and Mariner to a certain extent.

Like that they still have Kayshon in the mix even though Shax is back. Still wondering how they work this out

never go to the bar with Billups

Stevens, drink more milk

I did enjoy the is Mariner secretly a super secret agent storyline even though it may or may not be true.

next week, is Dr T'ana going to knock stuff off of shelves or walk across someone's keyboard?

Nice LOTR nod with the Mugatu and Boimler and Rutherford hiding in the tree roots.

This show reminds me a lot of Peter David writing, where he'll take an element from like the Original series, and use it in a Next Gen story, example Imzadi where Riker uses the Guardian of Forever to save Troi in the past.

Loved them bringing back the Mugatu, I may have to order the Mugatu shirt now.

KimMH and Commander Troi like this.
  4. GeekFilter

GeekFilter Commander Red Shirt

There's a Medusan character in the upcoming Prodigy. They probably will avoid that on Lower Decks until they've had a chance for Prodigy to explore that race more.

Commander Troi and jackoverfull like this.
  5. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

That's the joke...hence another story.

Nerys Myk and jackoverfull like this.
  6. GeekFilter

GeekFilter Commander Red Shirt

Sorry, it didn't come across as a joke.

7. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Text will do that.

GeekFilter likes this.
  8. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

I thought it was an average episode overall, but the ending where it looks like they jerry-rigged a super weapon and instead give them a business presentation was brilliant.

If somebody thought of that before the Federation could have avoided years of conflict with the Ferengi.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2021
  9. jackoverfull

More like years of very occasional skirmishes…
    In 2364 nobody in the federation had ever seen a ferengi, although there had been occasional encounters with their ships, some of them violent, by 2369 commerce with them was business as usual and hostilities to the minimum.

10. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Earth humans first met Ferengi in 1947 and then again in 2151 but official first contact wasn't until, I believe, the Battle of Maxia Zeta in 2355. That was the moment the Federation knew for certain and had on sensor records what they looked and sounded like and what their intentions were.

dupersuper likes this.
  11. jackoverfull

During the Battle of Maxia Zeta they still didn’t know they had been battling with the ferengi: there never had been visual contact with the ferengi ship, which was recorded as an unknown alien vessel.

Crewman6, dupersuper and cooleddie74 like this.
  12. cooleddie74

That's right. So it wasn't until 2364.

jackoverfull likes this.
  13. Redfern

Redfern Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Flipping through the screen captures at Cygnus-X1.net, I noticed something I I don't recall being mentioned in this thread yet, what appeared to be a reconstruction of the infamous bamboo cannon from "Arena", but instead was the housing for a holo-projector. If it was mentioned, sorry, obviously, I missed those posts.

BK613 likes this.
  14. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Uh...have you met Mariner? :lol:

Danja and Commander Troi like this.
  15. cooleddie74

Mariner is more competitive and aggressive than some Klingons in combat. :lol:

16. Danja

Danja Commodore Commodore

"PUT THE KID GLOVES ON! PUT THE KID GLOVES ON!"

:guffaw::guffaw::guffaw::guffaw::guffaw:

17. Burning Hearts of Qo'nOs

Burning Hearts of Qo'nOs Commodore Commodore

I was amused with how, despite all the progress the Ferengi made as a culture and as characters, Lower Decks just brings back all the hurtful Ferengi stereotypes and then some. But then that was a joke in itself, so super amused with that. Gave the episode an 8 because every joke landed, but then a couple went on too long.

18. Ometiklan

Ometiklan Captain Captain

I agree it is amusing. I also think LDS is highlighting (both with Mariner's mention of Quark and her friend in "Envoys") that there are many different types of Ferengi out there. You have Grand Negas Rom and his Moogi (and Nog) who are enlightened. You have Quark, who though he may argue and try to preserve traditional Ferengi values, is somewhat enlightened and is, personally, a decent person willing to be a little flexible. And you have more traditional Ferengi like Brunt and Gaila. These Ferengi in LDS just needed a little exposure to non-traditional (i.e., a little more Federation) ways of thinking, and now they are a little more enlightened.

19. jackoverfull

i think it was mentioned…It was anyway part of the joke: they show up with that and you think they put together a Kirk-style bazooka, but in fact it’s a projector.

Commander Troi and Danja like this.
  20. dupersuper

dupersuper Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, that...really seemed like it should have had consequences for Mariner...

Tellerites can't be from Australia?

Riker, actually.

For what event, exactly?

Does one time Federation president Johnathan Archer mean nothing to you?