Spoilers Star Trek: Discovery 5x09 - "Lagrange Point"

Rate the episode...

• Total voters
Moll with her microscope prank eyerings and hunted-revered L'ak with his Erica Scion background make Kol, Georgiou, and Vadic stand out like Khans :D

More and more Moll just comes off as a petulant, spoiled child stomping her feet. Not a fan.

I liked this episode but I hate when they go short. Especially here when they have Frakes directing.

Rayner is still my favorite part of the season.

Good to see Saru again finally. I have a feeling whoever he’s been negotiating with will show up to help when we get the inevitable fleet v fleet showdown. Maybe we finally get 32nd Century Klingons.

8/10

I must have been under the false impression that reshoots/add-ons were conducted throughout the season in order to give it a sense of finality. So, they only did that for the upcoming finale? That’s A LOT to pile on a season finale that wasn’t intended as the series finale. It makes me wish Paramount would have given Disco a special movie to serve as the ending if they didn’t want to spend money on a whole season. Oh well. I was just kinda distracted throughout this episode over how it doesn’t feel like it’s actually leading up to the end of the show.

Though I don't have a connection to the Discovery characters, I am appreciative that Paramount is doing an epilogue so that the people who do have a connection to the characters can get something of "what happened to them next". It is a small miracle that Paramount allowed this in light of their poor financial standing.

As for Moll, she is more than petulant. She is incredibly self-absorbed and selfish, which is ironic as L'ak ran away from an uncle who had both of those traits.

Will we see the Pathway Drive in action?

Will the vfx be?

A. Counterclockwise Swirls?
B. Stars and glitter?
C. Mylar pom poms and lightning?
D. Zathras and a candle?
E. Two confused lizards and a flower pot?

You choose!
I thought it was just Starfleet's name for the spore drive?

I must have been under the false impression that reshoots/add-ons were conducted throughout the season in order to give it a sense of finality. So, they only did that for the upcoming finale?
That's correct.

That’s A LOT to pile on a season finale that wasn’t intended as the series finale. It makes me wish Paramount would have given Disco a special movie to serve as the ending if they didn’t want to spend money on a whole season.
Now you see what I and others have been talking about.

I was just kinda distracted throughout this episode over how it doesn’t feel like it’s actually leading up to the end of the show.
Don't be too hard on yourself. I only started figuring this out myself a few weeks ago.

I thought it was just Starfleet's name for the spore drive?
It's been stated multiple times since season 4 that they are two separate and competing forms of technology. It's also stated in 'Red Directive' that Starfleet won't be continuing researching how to make the spore drive work without a biological navigator and will instead move ahead with installing pathway drives.

Good time for a heart to heat with Book, Burnham.

This was was almost slapstick level silly.

Said it before and I’ll say it again—if you’re in a life and death situation and in a heightened emotional state, it’s not usual to let feelings slip, especially if you’re with somebody you love, an ex, or somebody you have unresolved feelings for. So, I’m giving them that, it’s the kind of thing people would do. It was also a very brief exchange and not a ten minute exchange.

You don't need to ask - a quick scan will reveal what species they are, unless they have natural or artificial camouflage. Plus, Moll is identified as Human in Federation and Starfleet databases.

This was a passable episode for me.
I was really annoyed that the whole plot happened, basically, because the crew sat there oo-ing and awe-ing at the floating barrel instead of just putting it in the shuttlebay ASAP and getting out of there.
I found the Book-Burnham heart-to-heart really annoying. You're saying in all the time they were doing repairs, she didn't have a chance until RIGHT THEN to talk to him?
I did, conversely, love Rayner's line about touchy-feely encouragement. I've been missing seeing characters who were just confident in what they were doing and don't need constant reassurance. Like a whole ship full of Barclays.
This would have been a great moment to make mention of Adira being joined, and her past experiences giving her an advantage on hacking the Breen. But of course, they still don't ever mention it.
Great to see Saru back. Disappointed we still don't see him interacting with the rest of the crew.
Moll's character, and my enjoyment of her, has dipped dramatically.
I'm tired of Tilly and Stamets being sidelined so much.
So...is that Dreadnaught the only ship Ruhn had? Is it unique to Ruhn? It's hard to tell based on how the characters were talking about it.
Frakes does a great job directing, as usual. But you can only work with what you're given.

I must have been under the false impression that reshoots/add-ons were conducted throughout the season in order to give it a sense of finality. So, they only did that for the upcoming finale? That’s A LOT to pile on a season finale that wasn’t intended as the series finale. It makes me wish Paramount would have given Disco a special movie to serve as the ending if they didn’t want to spend money on a whole season. Oh well. I was just kinda distracted throughout this episode over how it doesn’t feel like it’s actually leading up to the end of the show.

I swear I read that while Paramount told them they could do reshoots after cancelation, they declined to add anything.

Since when is Duranium impervious to scans?
Ships were made of Duranium and Tritanium alloys in the 24th century (heck, VOY and the Delta Flyer were made from Duranium), and sensors at the time were easily able to scan through Duranium hulls (unless someone put up a dampening field to disrupt scans), but 32nd century tech CAN'T?

Last edited:
On that topic what about Moll? She was stated as being human in episode 1, however at least her father was not, or was he a human living on Kwejian? Memory does not serve me here.
Moll's father, Cleveland Booker IV was human, who simply served as mentor to Tareckx, teaching him the life and ways of a courier after Tareckx left his homeworld Kwejian. When Booker IV retired, Tareckx changed his name and became Cleveland Booker V, who we now know as Book.

Since when is Duranium impervious to scans?
Ships were made of Duranium and Tritanium alloys in the 24th century (heck, VOY and the Delta Flyer were made from Duranium), and sensors at the time were easily able to scan through Duranium hulls (unless someone put up a dampening field to disrupt scans), but 32nd century tech CAN'T?

Maybe they were confusing it with a neutronium hull?
Because, yeah, Duranium had never been indicated as scan-proof.

IIRC it was specifically described as a duranium alloy. Whatever the other metal is, it would presumably be responsible for blocking the sensors.

Back